Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF font, linux  (Read 650 times)

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF font, linux
« on: February 29, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »

Anyone know what font DF dumps its text in? I'm running ubuntu, and while everything displays fine in the game, the region history texts have all sorts of weird artifacts like.. well maybe it'll show up fine for you, but As‰n has got this huge die in the middle of it. =p I've installed the MS core fonts and whatnot, but obviously something's not set right somewhere on me system. If anyone else is running DF via wine and can point me towards what to fix, I'd appreciate it.

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF font, linux
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »

cat gamelog.txt | iconv -f CP437

Note, it's not a font when you're talking about how the characters are encoded, rather than just how they're displayed on screen.

X

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 07:22:00 pm »

Well, that'll dump out text okay, but how can I get it to display properly in OO, text editors, et cetera?

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 06:30:00 am »

Hey, where's that pioneering unix spirit, self sufficiency, and tinker-till-it-works? Just pipe it back to disc:

cat gamelog.txt | iconv -f CP437 -t UTF-8 > gamelog.utf8.txt

Play with tail if you want it to update live.

X

Old School Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.arthuman.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »

It's tough to be self-sufficient when you're not one of the ones who've spent the last 5+ years reading the survival manual   :)

Fear the incoming unschooled yet linux-appreciating horde! We come to use your powerful and wonderful operating system, like clumsy children!  Muahahaahahahahah!

Currently Playing:  DF, Galciv2, Eschelon Book 1, Helherron, Unreal World.

Currently Playing With: Linux.

Going to Buy: Warhammer Online, Space Rangers: Reloaded, Stardock's MoM Clone.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Old School Gamer:
<STRONG>It's tough to be self-sufficient when you're not one of the ones who've spent the last 5+ years reading the survival manual    :)

Fear the incoming unschooled yet linux-appreciating horde! We come to use your powerful and wonderful operating system, like clumsy children!  Muahahaahahahahah!</STRONG>

cue fanboy wars over which operating system is better.

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

Oi, not in my thread you don't. Make your own.

X: thanks for the info. It's not quite what I was hoping for, but I can go harass ubuntuforum folk for that.  ;) Always good to learn new commands and tricks, in any case.