Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Limiting immigration (possibly)  (Read 858 times)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
Limiting immigration (possibly)
« on: September 05, 2017, 09:46:41 pm »

One of the things I'm not a huge fan of in Dwarf Fortress is the rate of immigrants. When I get 30 immigrants in a season, it's a little overwhelming; I'd prefer to limit it to, say, ten. So far I've been using the Population Cap to limit immigration and manually changing it when I feel ready for more dwarves, but that's kind of tedious. So here's my idea:

The wiki mentions that once your unit list gets to 1,000, migrant wave size gets limited to 10. Apparently, there's a dfhack script out there to fix that by clearing your unit list of dead people (although I haven't found it in my limited search). But in theory, it should be possible to artificially fill up your unit list, by generating random dead units or duplicating existing ones maybe, so that it's always set to 1,000. That way, you'd get no more than 10 migrants per season. That would be fantastic.

The problem is that I have zero experience with modding Dwarf Fortress and even less experience with the lua scripting that looks like it would require. So this is me putting the idea out there and hoping that somebody with better modding ability than me gets inspired by it. At the very least, I'm hoping to spark some discussion that might lead to something, or get pointed in the right direction of starting the mod myself.

Is it a feasible idea, at least?
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Limiting immigration (possibly)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:50:47 am »

I'm sure there's some neat DFhack solution for this, but in the mean time you can always sort the useful migrants out, put everyone else in squads and drop them down a big hole, it's how I train my doctors.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Limiting immigration (possibly)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 09:25:16 am »

In the gnome mode in old masterwork you only got migrants (and caravans) if you called for them. In current version you can pay gold to call a migrant wave in several other modes. I think I've seen options to increase the population cap in game though if it exists it may require at least a save and reload of the map. There are also more radical gameplay changes such as the warlock mode where you got no migrants after the first two waves and only got new civ members by creating them (old masterwork again but it's only become easier to create civilized units)