Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: About slavery, women warriors and trolls.  (Read 3386 times)

Storyteller

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
About slavery, women warriors and trolls.
« on: September 01, 2017, 01:34:56 pm »

Good day. I have a couple of questions about modding Dwarf Fortress.

Has anyone tried to implement a working version of a slave society in the DF? Yes, I know that technically it is already in the game, but according to my observation the cases with the use of slavery are scanty. Are there any ideas how to make civilizations more often resort to the use of slave labor? Maybe it's the flaws of my game version? I use 42.06, translated into russian.

Also did someone try to forbid women to fight and be warriors? In the conditions of an entire civilization, of course. In general, this could diversify the mechanics of the game. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to implement it, and I only hope for your advice.

Has anyone tried to create separate sub-races for dwarves that could be at enmity with each other? In my case, these are races from DnD: ie shield dwarves, gold dwarves and duergar. The trouble so far is only one, even with different views on the world order, for some reason they do not feud. In the history of several worlds there are no records of large-scale conflicts between them. What could be the reason?

How does the troll taming mechanism for goblin nations work? I could not understand what exactly makes goblins tame trolls, simultaneously teaching these semi-intelligent creatures to certain professions.
Yes, I'm interested in this within the framework of questions about slavery. It seems to me that the position of the trolls is the closest to the slave and, moreover, they can be taken with you when the game starts.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: About slavery, women warriors and trolls.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 02:03:25 pm »

Welcome to Bay12, Storyteller.

Goblins can own trolls as pets because of a hidden feature. Trolls have the SLOW_LEARNER and EVIL tags and live underground. This causes goblins to make them pets. Despite being pets, trolls are sentient due to the CAN_LEARN tag. That is what causes them to get jobs. Despite being intelligent, they can't speak because they don't have the INTELLIGENT or CAN_SPEAK tags.

You can also get sentient pets by giving an intelligent race PET tokens. This results in strange behavior, but it's the closest to what you're thinking of. Specifically, I know that sentient pets occupy a sort of half-pet status. You can't control them with the detail you could use on an animal or a full citizen, but they will wander around the fort and do jobs.

There's no way to stop or limit women joining the army. The game doesn't have that kind of difference between castes.

As for the dwarf subraces, you could do that. They won't interbreed, but to get them to fight you'll need to work on their ethics. Try modelling the duergar on goblins. BABYSNATCHER, ITEM_THIEF, and LOCAL_BANDITRY should help with that. I think gold dwarves and shield dwarves don't normally fight, correct?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 05:28:04 pm »

You could nudge male-oriented armies by giving the male caste natural military skills and violent personalities and something else for the female caste. It wouldn't be a perfect ban on female soldiers but might appear so.
(Haven't tried that, so you'd need to experiment - might just end up with a lot of female casualties in battles...).

And of course you can restrict positions like general, militia commander and such to male only.

Slaves exist, usually in human societies, due to their ethics being more slave-friendly than other civs. They don't seem to do much in the way of labor though. But then again, right now neither does anyone else.
I think you'll need to wait for the economy for them to play much of a role.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:43:18 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 01:40:32 am »

Interestingly, while you probably can't easily exclude women from the military it is easy to give them different roles in the military: prevent them from learning certain weapon skills while giving them some small natural skill in others. When NPCs spawn as soldiers they'll be equipped with weapons they are skilled in. So you could restrict women to using spears and bows only for example.

I've had sentient pets a couple of times before. Things were weirder in previous versions but ever since the visitor update they'll integrate with the fort so much easier. I can order them off the outpost liaison and they'll arrive next year in cages available for purchase. And once I let them out they'll... act like every other member of the fort. They'll take breaks, yes. They'll do jobs I tell them to do. They'll sleep where I tell them to. If they require different sized clothes from my main species then it only takes a little manipulation of work orders to make them wear what I want. If I put them in the military I can tell them directly. I can tell them to kill, and they will. Just like any other member of my fort. Which leads you to question what separates a man from a slave? Holdings? Nobility? Your starting seven dwarves think they have memories: they lived twenty or more years. They made a journey from the mountain homes. Yet they had no existence or any effect on the world until you chose to place down a fort. Are they any different from some animal you bought off the caravan to work in your fort? You could give them all lavishly decorated bedrooms but unlike the necromancer that chose to do something about their own mortality nothing significant they accomplish in your fort will be because of their own will. The only exception is an artifact made from a strange mood, when a dwarf is inspired to make something greater than themselves, in a form chosen by them out of their own chosen materials at a time of their choosing. And as soon as their work is done, before they've even had time to wipe the sweat off their brow, the overseer plucks their work out of their hands as says it belongs to everybody.

To mod in slaves you first have to mod in free will.

Edit: oh there's some combination of personality traits that causes people to never tell you their name when you greet them. That seems useful.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 02:06:47 am by blapnk »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 03:25:13 am »

Interestingly, while you probably can't easily exclude women from the military it is easy to give them different roles in the military: prevent them from learning certain weapon skills while giving them some small natural skill in others. When NPCs spawn as soldiers they'll be equipped with weapons they are skilled in. So you could restrict women to using spears and bows only for example.

I've had sentient pets a couple of times before. Things were weirder in previous versions but ever since the visitor update they'll integrate with the fort so much easier. I can order them off the outpost liaison and they'll arrive next year in cages available for purchase. And once I let them out they'll... act like every other member of the fort. They'll take breaks, yes. They'll do jobs I tell them to do. They'll sleep where I tell them to. If they require different sized clothes from my main species then it only takes a little manipulation of work orders to make them wear what I want. If I put them in the military I can tell them directly. I can tell them to kill, and they will. Just like any other member of my fort. Which leads you to question what separates a man from a slave? Holdings? Nobility? Your starting seven dwarves think they have memories: they lived twenty or more years. They made a journey from the mountain homes. Yet they had no existence or any effect on the world until you chose to place down a fort. Are they any different from some animal you bought off the caravan to work in your fort? You could give them all lavishly decorated bedrooms but unlike the necromancer that chose to do something about their own mortality nothing significant they accomplish in your fort will be because of their own will. The only exception is an artifact made from a strange mood, when a dwarf is inspired to make something greater than themselves, in a form chosen by them out of their own chosen materials at a time of their choosing. And as soon as their work is done, before they've even had time to wipe the sweat off their brow, the overseer plucks their work out of their hands as says it belongs to everybody.

To mod in slaves you first have to mod in free will.

Edit: oh there's some combination of personality traits that causes people to never tell you their name when you greet them. That seems useful.

Can confirm. Had a felid (sentient cat) furnace operator in my fort. Did smelting just fine, but couldn't reassign her. Sentient animals are pretty goofy, but otherwise work fine.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.