Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lazy miner  (Read 803 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Lazy miner
« on: September 11, 2017, 02:38:22 pm »

My miner wont work no mater what I do!Help soon my fortress will be in chaos I cant do anything!

Nolimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy miner
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 03:12:14 pm »

First, check miner's inventory using (v) menu with inventory tab selected (i). If there is no pickaxe, then he obviously couldn't mine. Check miner's labors and availability of picks. Also remove your miner from any squads as their uniform (even if nothing assigned) will conflict with civilian uniform (his pick).

If pick is in his inventory then look what he's doing. You can forbid all other labors for him to make him focus on mining. Also check if designated for mining tile are available and miner can get to them.

You can also unassign him from mining labor and try to assign mining to somebody else.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 04:51:18 pm »

You should state what the miner does instead of mining, as it helps cutting down on what the issue is.
If the miner is doing absolutely nothing, he might be hungry/thirsty and stuck down a hole, in which case he won't literally dig to save his life, so you'd need to send another miner to the rescue.
Pathing, in general, is a common reason for why things aren't done, and burrows (e.g. from civilian alerts) is another common reason.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 05:03:02 pm »

If he is currently in a military squad, remove him from it. The default for military units "Inactive = Uniformed", meaning that they will wear their military uniform all the time once they have put it on. He may be carrying a pick because it is part of his military uniform, but since it is not his "civilian labor uniform's" pick, so he will not accept mining jobs until he drops his military uniform and gets his civilian labo pick in hand.

And as Patrik said, more info about what he is doing would help.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 08:01:55 pm »

Ok so I got some brand new picks, but now he will only mine on the same z level hes on.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 08:03:08 pm »

Also other than mining he some times cuts wood.

Torchwood202

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 08:05:05 pm »

Is the miner trapped somewhere?

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 08:11:42 pm »

How can he cut wood if he's a miner.
The two labors can't be actived at the same time.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 08:59:47 pm »

Not at the same time but when he is not mining.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 09:04:59 pm »

Well, I don't understand. If you active the mining job, wood cutting will be disabled, and vice versa.
So unless you change it manually he can do only one of those jobs.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 01:03:29 am »

If he is mining only on the same z-level, did you accidentally remove part of the staircase, blocking access to the other levels? You might need to 'b'uild 'C'onstruction to put new stairs in place somewhere.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 01:36:24 am »

Yeah it is best not to mine with your woodcutter. A woodcutter will equip an axe and automatically unequip and drop any pickaxes.