Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 38022 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Moerth, Strategy Phase 2212
« Reply #495 on: June 25, 2017, 04:33:40 pm »

Their missiles might be agile.

But they don't actively fly evasive courses.
You assume much about their capabilities.

Edit: On the other hand, Mr. Turtle there just said they're planning overwhelming firepower on A2, which we kinda need. Anyone want to shift our full fleet there?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:40:17 pm by Nirur Torir »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 25, 2017, 04:41:13 pm »

Obvious bait is obvious.

Remember, we destroyed 2/3 of their transports. What do they have that can hurt us?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:44:02 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 25, 2017, 04:50:31 pm »

What do they have that can hurt us?
If we get wrecked this turn, it's officially your fault :P
While it's most likely mind games, I don't think they'd have posted that if they didn't plan something specific regarding A2. But whatever happens, it doesn't sound like a good idea to leave the IMW by itself.
Quote from: Votes
Croc Swamp (4): Madman198237, Nirur Torir, 3_14159, Felissan
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 26, 2017, 12:51:44 pm »

Any Objection to this for our research credit?

My name is Dr. Aignean, I'm part of the experimental R&D division for the Moerth commune and I've been asked to introduce you to some of the more novel elements of how our technology has diverged from that of Earth, and the endless opportunities that working with the Moerthian research initiative will provide you with over our deluded and sadly primitive Amaok brethren.

For an appetizer, I'd like you to consider the floor. Simple and seemingly plain, isn't it? Yet, at this moment, it's helping perform and orbital stability calculation for one of our more daring launch programs. That floor tile has as much computational power as most personal device, and it's stable enough that you don't even think twice about using it. This facility is state of the art, and nearly every bit of solid structure is networked into the mainframe. Fast or linear calculations are run on local clusters, while complex problems that are able to be distributed into multiple threads can be handled by the entire building simultaneously. Our research facilities are our computers, and we're getting into some rather fascinating applications. In particular, we've developed the ability to both generated and receive low frequency radiation using such integrated panels, an application to which the military applied to create advanced sensor arrays, but which I think you and I can see the wealth of applications to. Within a decade we'll have the technology developed to the point where the polymers used in clothing have their own internal processors and built-in ability to connect to local networks. A lab coat, rather than a simple piece of PPE, will become a complex monitoring system capable of taking measurements on its own and alerting the using of safety hazards.

For something more substantive, I've had to call in a few markers to bring a sample of this out of secure storage. Military command is a bit paranoid about showing it around to non-Moerthian individuals, but I don't think that's going to be you for long. Pretty, isn't it? A little like powdery red snow, and yet it is so much more complex than one could believe from simply looking at it. Our engineers dubbed it Infernium-6, and it's stabilized O8. A substance that should not be able to exist at normal pressure, and it's stable enough that you could roll it between your fingers. Individual red oxygen molecules, contained within macro-molecular structures that are capable of stabilizing the immense desire of the red oxygen to burst and become simply O2 gas once more. The military sees a fuel, but I see the key to harnessing the properties of every exotic particle that has eluded the grasp of science do to its instability under normal atmospheric conditions. With a redesign of the molecular macrostructure, one could theoretically create an internal cage of alternating dipoles, not unlike the membrane of a cell, and contain an anti-particle via a steady-state EM generated by the macromolecule. It's possible, doctor, and we're going to be the ones to do it.

I know Amaok is going to want to convince you to work with them, they desperately need better minds, but think of what your life will be like if you work for them. They'll turn you into a plowhorse, churning through the same designs that failed Earth. Amaok doesn't innovate, that just slavishly copy the past and hope that something miraculous changes. Armored space suits, simple rifles, missile bearing fighters- all clear analogs to things Earth has already done. If they do innovate, I imagine they're going to go right back to trying to use that innovation to go back over the same stale designs of the past. Earth is fading fast, we both know it,  and we cannot afford to repeat the past and pray for a miracle. Join them, and you'll be running on the same doomed wheel you escaped on Earth. Join us, and I promise you that you'll work expanding the edge of science past anything that scientists of Earth or Amaok could dream of. 
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 26, 2017, 01:04:23 pm »

Perhaps point out that Amaok is a machine-race that despises humanity. Otherwise, quite remarkable.
+1
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 26, 2017, 04:53:25 pm »

Perhaps point out that Amaok is a machine-race that despises humanity. Otherwise, quite remarkable.

I'd rather paint them as pitiable and backward, at least to our scientist friend. Still, thank you.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 11, 2017, 01:43:31 pm »

Poke.

Poke.

Chief, this going to get moving again?
Our vote seems to be set.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 02, 2017, 07:11:09 pm »

Sorry for doublepost. This game popped into my head for some reason.

Chief, you ever going to get this moving again?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 02, 2017, 07:28:47 pm »

Perhaps. Unlikely, but definitely not out of the question.

Though if that happens, I'd probably make some changes to the mechanics. Namely logistics and orbital combat. The extreme option would just be turning expense levels into the regular style of "Expensive, Very Expensive", etc. and making troop movement/deployment like Wands Race. I'd want to keep some semblance of strategy and keep transports useful, though.
There's also tweaking of orbital combat. I've been doing it manually, in a way. I feel manually resolving the battles along with the current system of limited ships ends up being extremely arbitrary, which is something I really want to avoid. This may be the main reason for my want to change the mechanics.

I'd also have to consider the difficulty of implementing these changes in an active game. I'm not a huge fan of making sudden big changes in mechanics in (semi-)active games like this.

TL;DR: I'm not a big fan of the current mechanics and they'd have to be changed in the unlikely-but-possible event of me continuing to run the game.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 02, 2017, 07:32:23 pm »

Honestly, if you're up for continuing the game, the old mechanics do not need to stay. They were neat, but it's not necessary to retain them, certainly not if it means getting the game moving again, since this game has basically died. We'll accept any resurrection. Well, I will, anyway. I think most others would as well.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]