Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I make my dwarves melt snow to get water?  (Read 1392 times)

appleappleapple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can I make my dwarves melt snow to get water?
« on: June 29, 2023, 06:29:45 pm »

My dwarves are currently in a cold place with a lot of snow. However, there is not a lot of water sources. Is there a way to make my dwarves make a campfire to melt the snow then drink it? My dwarves are dehydrated so HURRY!!! (Beginner at fortress mode btw so if its simple then still I need the answer)

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can I make my dwarves melt snow to get water?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 08:04:24 pm »

Is there a way to make my dwarves make a campfire to melt the snow then drink it?

No. Though it is possible to melt snow, it doesn't result in drinkable water. Also, campfires are only a thing in Adventurer mode, Fortress mode requires a more involved approach.

My dwarves are dehydrated so HURRY!!!

If you embarked over an aquifer, get underground and dig down and see if it's unfrozen. Underground doesn't freeze as fast as surface.

And of course if you have or can harvest anything brewable, build a Still and brew it. (May need another workshop for barrels or stone pots as well.) But I assume this is not the case since you're asking.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 08:45:57 am »

You could also try digging down as fast as possible to the cavern layers, and hope you find underground that way as well.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 03:48:45 pm »

Really thirsty adventurers, and 'REALLY' thirsty dwarves will drink contaminants. I'm pretty sure that includes liquids, so melting snow might work short-term.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 03:23:21 pm »

If they're not hospitalized, then they should be drinking booze. You don't need water for that; just a still, empty barrel, and a brewable crop.

If you really need water, your best bet is to dig stairs down to the caverns and hope there's a lake. You can attempt to build a farm and use the blocked/soil messages to locate open space, so you don't miss the cavern.

Melting ice requires magma or hot creatures, which are more difficult to obtain.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DerpFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 07:01:41 am »

You could try retiring the fortress then coming back during a season when the ice has melted.

appleappleapple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 12:38:49 pm »

they dead.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 10:41:34 am »

I wish it was possible to have an ice smelter machine or using things like campfires and metal bowls to produce cooked water.