Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make creatures exceptionally durable  (Read 899 times)

Camdenbuzard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How to make creatures exceptionally durable
« on: August 02, 2017, 01:16:59 pm »

Hi folks. I'm doing a bit of screwing around with dwarf fortress, and I'm trying to create a creature of exceptional toughness.

While I understand how to set the physical attributes of a creature, I'm having a great deal of trouble making the creature durable. I cribbed a "deity" definition I found on the forums, but I'm running into issues.

Basically, no matter what I do, the creature's flesh is extremely flimsy.

Here are my raws:

inorganic_diety.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

b_detail_plan_diety.txt

creature_diety.txt

Ignore the interactions, I'm just experimenting there. I'm more concerned with the creature's total inability to tank any damage. In arena testing, a no-skill dwarf punch is enough to chip the skin and break the bones. I've experimented with different IMPACT, COMPRESSIVE, etc values, but 'm not having any luck. I feel like I must be missing something basic here.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make creatures exceptionally durable
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 03:22:22 pm »

#0: spellcheck son. yield/yeild, deity/diety

#1: look at vanilla files, see what's on the first line of the file? you forgot those nametags, the files weren't getting recognized (the creature one somehow was, though? huh. weird)

#2: the part near the end where you declare the DEITY_FLESH material like the bronze colossuses do? yeah do that before telling the creature to use a material by that name, move the TISSUE:DEITY_FLESH block above the stuff about the body detail plans at least

Camdenbuzard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 06:47:30 pm »

Hey, thanks man. I'll check those things and see how that goes.

Camdenbuzard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:23:59 am »

Well, that definitely did the trick. In fact, it worked just a bit too well. It's not quite as fun when there's no possibility of being harmed. I swam in magma, I fought a clown, a dragon, a hydra, etc. My new modding quest is to make an adventurer who is powerful, but not just totally invulnerable.

Oh! One more question, what in those raws caused the bogeymen to stop attacking? They still showed up, but they would just hang out around me.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:49:41 am »

bim bam boom bada bing boom bang

Interestingly, bogeymen will be friendly towards creatures with the [NOFEAR] token. Playing as such a creature will make you totally safe from bogeymen; in the vanilla game, the available creatures with this trait are humanoid arachnid people (the bark scorpion man, the brown recluse spider man, and the jumping spider man. It doesn't prevent bogeyman encounters, however; sleeping in the wilderness may still result in getting surrounded by cackling, and the bogeymen will still teleport towards you, as well as prevent you from sleeping or travelling.

PinkyThePinkBlob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 09:51:53 am »

I will say, if anything, you should make this into an enemy civ or a megabeast kinda deal

Camdenbuzard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 10:42:33 am »

It's like... be careful what you wish for. A race of invulnerable supermen? A whole civilization of them?

I mean, even a single one of these creatures is effectively immortal. I guess you could maybe trap it? As a megabeast, it seems like it would be a fortress-ender.

Although... it would be cool if there was an effect that could bring them down to mortal levels, effectively turning them into a tough human. In general, I think there's a lot of room for that sort of thing. Of course, first, we would need throwable vials.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 10:32:17 pm »

My new modding quest is to make an adventurer who is powerful, but not just totally invulnerable.

Check out my draconian mod. They're pretty powerful., provided you don't accidentally put your 50000U weapon in your backpack or something.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.