Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Forbid an area?  (Read 6127 times)

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to Forbid an area?
« on: January 30, 2018, 04:32:42 pm »

I'm trying to find a way to forbid an area to ensure my dwarfs will never enter it. I've worked with burrows but even that can be cumbersome when I want to allow dwarfs to go anywhere except one specific place. I'm also familiar with limiting traffic in an area but unfortunately that also doesn't completely prevent a dwarf from going into an area if they feel that's the only way they can complete their current job.

If assigning burrows to every dwarf is the only way to truly forbid a location does anyone have any suggestions or strategies for dealing with this once you have a large and active fort? How best do you deal with migration waves that show up when you want to prevent them from going through an area prior to burrow assignment?

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Forbid an area?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:35:24 pm »

Wall it off.

What's in the area that you're trying to avoid? And why can't your dwarves just go around?
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:52:58 pm »

In this example I have a ballista corridor that I like to funnel incoming attackers into. If I've closed up the fort with this being the only entry/exit to the outside I'd like to make sure no dwarf will ever use this as an exit during a siege no matter how badly they want to collect a fallen sock, or whatever random job that I forgot to cancel when an invasion started.

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 06:00:24 pm »

Ah.

If it's just a temporary "stay in the fort", you can use the Military screen to assign burrows to every dwarf at once. Go to [m] + [a], then you'll see the list of burrows on the far right and can toggle where the civs can go when they're on a certain alert.
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 06:03:15 pm »

All right, if burrow assignments are really the only option I'll continue with that. I was really hoping that perhaps there was a way to use a burrow just to do the opposite where as a normal burrow tells a dwarf to never leave that area, I'd like to have an um... anti-burrow, where you could tell dwarfs to never enter it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:21:08 pm by Avin »

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 06:45:17 pm »

Burrows are the most logical option, but I've been using floodgates recently - opposed to bridges - to seal off sections during a raid.

You could also use doors in narrow passageways by locking them, but then the invaders still need to get through them.  Also don't forget you can lever doors, but I'm not sure how that is going to help.  Maybe if you set it to forbidden and lever it open, dwarves will not pass through but invaders will.  Would need to test that out.

I'd just use burrows and let my fort have a break from all the usual work.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 05:30:24 am »

Civilian alert burrows is what you need (of what's available in the game). You'll get cancellation spam, though, so you should consider to also have doors you can lock, but I guess that might thwart the pathing of the invaders...

Also note that burrows do NOT make dorfs stay inside the burrow. It will restrict them to take jobs only inside the burrow, but they will path the "shortest" path to the destination, regardless of whether that takes them outside or not. One of the few times I actually used traffic restrictions was to get the buggers to go behind the ballista battery, rather than taking the shortcut in front of it. A civilian alert made sure they didn't actually get out of the fortress.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:33:45 am by PatrikLundell »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 06:57:57 am »

I set the the 'o' 'F' options to auto-forbid all items when my dwarfs die, then their gear will not lure others to their deaths. I use non-specific uniform items such as "steel helm" in uniforms and military dwarfs may attempt to upgrade their uniform after another military dwarf dies in a dangerous area, even if that area is outside of the civ-alert burrows. But, occasionally there is a miasma issue indoors from this when something dies indoors.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.