Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poisonous weapons  (Read 2134 times)

Bauta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
Poisonous weapons
« on: July 10, 2017, 03:56:24 am »

My fellow friends of the subterran races,
i present to you my aproach on putting poisonous coating on your weapons on a pretty reliable basis.  :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgIgGeXa-wE
_________
>Blacki loses his right arm, Blacki loses his left arm
>Blacki: I am badly injured, this phases me not
>Blacki bites the Goblin lasher in the throat and the injured part is cloven asunder

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Poisonous weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 06:50:40 am »

The prose meanders and wanders about dralthas, but it did indeed show your setup for FB-coating (btw, you could have pitted that kitten through a closed retracting bridge or forbidden hatch - no climbing out, then). Or rosen frisbee'd deadly duct weapons, as YT captions say at 2x speed. Though you didn't follow your military to see them wash blood and the extract off themselves and the weapon, leaving them wielding a plain bone scimitar and any cats following them free to wander into the pool of dust.

Bauta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:48:07 am »

Sorry for the bad english. The main reason i am doing videos is because i want to train speaking english while not concentrating on something different  :-\

The hope was that it would be triggered by the hatch goat, thats how it worked before. I swear DF is detcting that my OBS is running and starts "annoyvideomaker.lua"  ;D

I tested it before with a different beast that commited suicide with its own dust.
So far the dust isnt causing problems when people walk through it, i thought about isntating a dwarven bathtub but i was woried it would get on skins and into mouths.
I hope i will get invaded soon, so i can test out the arrows :)
_________
>Blacki bites the Goblin lasher in the throat and the injured part is cloven asunder

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 03:11:09 pm »

No idea how good your english is (I didn't listen to it as I didn't have headphones), but YT autocaptions are always amusingly and nonsensically off; don't worry about them.

Even in bathtub, I think the dust only gets on feet. Covered feet, no syndrome - which is why I mentioned cats. Found that washing-off problem with a husking dust, even (instant obvious effect, so quite nice for testing). Defensively, the pools might be perhaps useful against werebeasts, keas or fleshy FBs (I read they used to have syn_class general poison years ago, but haven't checked current version raws), as all other hostiles don't go naked. I expect arrows would be fine for all, however.

Bauta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 02:53:41 am »

So far the dust wasnt on the ground, only on the items, the strays didnt picked anything up when they walked over it
_________

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 07:10:26 pm »

Unless the item is hot enough to make the ground hot or a terrible sight, it won't affect them. Only pools (and traps and magma (mist) and deadly cold and etc.) is deadly to walk through, items lying on ground not so much. Dump a bucket of water on the item to wash it off into a pool, I think.

Bauta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 03:01:02 am »

So after some testing i found out some things :

• The poison coating stays on the arrow if the arrow stays intact, including it getting stuck in the target
  • Even if an arrow gets stuck in the body it will not further poison the target
  • Putting poison coating over mugs and drinking barrels will not poison the thristy victim (tested with production order violators)
  • It takes more then just one arrow to make an entire body rot, it will be completly swollen with blood for some time but then will go away(could be related to the strenght of the poison)
  • Weapons will loose their coating over time when they are used, i dont know exactly if this is rain related or if it happens during battles but at some point the coating was gone and it had a coating with blood
  • It seems that the beast i caught has a relatively weak venom, after testing it with some prisoners i found out that it will take days until they die, despite them standing in the cloud the whole time
  • my future Monster traps will have a long shooting range so i can kill the forgoten beast with a hail of bolts/ballista arrows at my leisure, especially if a better forgotten beast appears

_________

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 09:07:01 am »

It will, however, poison them if put on food, as some famous duck egg roasts can attest.
Procedural syndromes usually affect hit bodypart (though all are hit when caught in a cloud), and less commonly all body parts and rarely a specific one. That said, sounds like you don't have direct necrosis poison, but one that causes necrosis by large enough full-body swelling.
I've noticed this too during battles in dry caverns. It's not consistent, though, and haven't tested with weapon traps.
FB (and evil rain) syndromes have some delay to start and peak. The shortest debuff time on coatable syndrome I've seen has been on evil clouds (always start 0/peak 200 and sometimes permanent, otherwise lasting few days). Even in that case, an unconsciousness-inducing weapon doesn't knock out immediately, but takes about the time an injured cave dragon can crawl 3 spaces (or a dog walk 8 spaces before coughing blood with different syndrome, in case of pool on the ground). Tempts one to make husking weapon traps or minecarts (experiment: Can minecart husk through a floor?) or waterguns for living invaders, via help from an adventurer or abandoned fortress migrants, though it is somewhat impractical.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:09:14 am by Fleeting Frames »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 09:16:53 am »

Back in 35.xxx I was able to make a puddle of blood from a monster that gave intense pain-ifyingness through contact with it's blood, drop a sword in it, and then hilt smash someone in the upper body, bruising the fat. Within five blocks they gave out from pain.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.