Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: STR/AGI ratio, dual wielding, mysterious atributes and cuting heads in half.  (Read 1494 times)

Badargo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello my dear dwarve brothers!

Its been a while since I post here but this game will always be in my heart and it was inevitable! :P

I got a few questions that probably cant be answered with 100% of accuracy but always made me very curious!

1-The Agi/Str ratio

So u guys know str increase muscle mass which in theory decreases evasion and movement speed. Sadly theres some contradicting information here as the wiki says movement speed is a direct measure of str and agi and that to get maximum speed u need to cap both stats and so I ask:

Does str impact evasion?

Does str impacts movement speed?

In order to get the highest value in these fields is a ratio necessary or absolutely not?

2- Dual Wielding

Does a offhand weapon get the same passive parrying odds a shield get as passive blocking odds? Assuming the skills have the same value ofc.

3- Evasion and mysterious attributes

So do we finally know if kinesthetic sense and spatial sense heavily impact dodging and evasion chances? When I used to play the seemed to do but there wasnt much info avaliable.

4- The half heads...

I remember reading about this adventurer who slashed a guard and half of his ear, his eye, his nose, his other ear fell off. in one swoop.. i wish I could find a pic of that.

For some reason I never saw something like that. Now heads sail of in an arc or explode into gore and thats it. DId something change?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:12:36 pm by Badargo »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. What the wiki says is true but not contradictory; strength contributes to speed, and the amount of mass that strength has to move decreases it. Eventually the mass increase from strength gains negates the benefit, and you would need more agility to exceed that. Smaller creatures get the benefit of the square cube law, and their proportionate mass gain from strength is less.

2. Multiple shields do, so I assume multiple weapons too. Someone who's played a spider man could probably better tell you from their experience.

3. Without a doubt, they improve every movement skill, including dodging and armor use. The opponent's misses aren't "evasion chances", its the effect of armor use completely negating the impact, but that still costs you in exhaustion and wear on your outer layers. This is very noticeable in extended fights with hydra or hordes of opponents.

4. That sounds like a fantastic interpretation of the "the injured part is cloven!" though probably just the player's headcanon. A falling impact can make a body separate into component pieces, though if an injury has ever made only half of the body shatter to pieces it would be rare, and a head injury like that even rarer.

Badargo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Assuming theres a point where strength starts to compromise the benefits of agility, what would be a safe ratio? Is 1/1 a safe ratio for str/agi?

You claim theres no evasion but armor use negating the impact. Well, the opponent will still miss me even if I dont wear armor or have zero knowledge on armor use. Im not sure your information is accurate :P Please could you elaborate?

I made a 1str/40agi demigod. Sparring with animals I couldnt improve my novice shield use skill as all the enemy attack rolls were misses.

Now Im rolling a 40agi/40str demigod, most rolls are blocked by the shield even tho Im a novice skill user and opponent misses are very scarce.

I dont know if this has anything to do with muscle mass but its interesting nonetheless :P

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile

Evasion concerns Dodger skill.

When an attack has been evaded, there are 2 possible combat messages: NPC attacks you and misses and NPC attacks you and you jump away! The distinction between the two is attack failure and dodger success.

In the first, you stay in the same tile because *the attacker failed on its attack roll.* In the second you either manually or automatically move from one tile to another because *you succeeded in your dodge roll.*

Sometimes when your dodger skill is simply far too high in comparison to the attacker skill, despite your combat preference set to Dodge Away, you'll remain in the same tile because this stat gulf causes attacker failure.

Whenever you see either combat message (while wearing nothing with armor level), 3 stats increase for your character: dodger, fighter, and observer. The primary being dodger. If you are wearing an armor level item, then you'd include armor user. Armor user improves because of any combat action performed while wearing an armor level item. Of course, armor user can also get cued if your character jumps out of a tree (nude or clothed in zero armor level items) from 4 z-levels up, and sustains impact.

You can see these increases using a copy of DF2014, the latest version being 40.24. This is the best testing version for this sort of thing because the progress bars for skills had not been added. You can still see your XP in numbers. And when you see stat XP increases tied to specific combat messages, you get a working idea of what's going on.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:18:00 am by peasant cretin »

Forwe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I'm not sure about all of the other points, but I think I can answer the "half heads" one. As far as I remember, combat in previous versions was a bit different. I know for sure that arrows and bolts could strike few body parts at once, like for example when hitting torso, it would write that the arrow struck their liver, heart and left lung, so I reckon melee weapons could also deal damage like this.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Combat This is an article(which I recommend you to read, as it's quite interesting ^^ ) about combat back from when DF was 2D, and the part about Whips should especially interest you, as, to quote, "Whips do "gore" type damage, which inflicts more bleeding and pain. Also, gore attacks have a higher chance of dealing damage to sub-bodyparts like fingers or eyes". I guess, because back then, even in Adventure mode you couldn't decide which bodypart to strike(it was completely random which limb/torso/head you struck), the "sub-parts" like fingers, ears and eyes were just prone to collateral damage if you hit the bodypart they were attached to hard enough.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1:1 ratio is just a rule of thumb, an optimal ratio would scale by the creature's base mass. If you wanted to be precise you could use arena mode to quickly make test characters and tinker with their attributes.