Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]

Author Topic: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2212  (Read 34661 times)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Arms Race - Amaok, Strategy Phase 2212
« Reply #450 on: June 26, 2017, 05:11:43 pm »

Show him the fusion reactor. show him its glory of the atom power.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 26, 2017, 05:49:32 pm »

I feel like we should go for HyMet and the reactor. The reactor shows that we are ambitious, and we are curious in pursuing its antimaterial field on a curiosity basis as its large footprint precludes conventional utility, but it is a fascinating effect and if it were not so lethal and disruptive on monitoring equipment we would no doubt have studied it more closely. But it still stands as a unique research opportunity. We could even consider turning it on to show off at the risk of some of our equipment vanishing...

The HyMet is a new material that we have perfected. Its unique properties are not only curious in their own right but offer great potential for furthering study in other fields by improving observation equipment and acting as a catalyst by producing superconductor effects at temperatures that would otherwise be impossible.

We would love it if they could assist us with combining these two technologies in order to produce a stable star that we can study at our own leisure.

I am not really clear on what the proposal is though. Do we basically just submit a single design or revision action and say "this is our best, this is why it is the best, look at it"? Or do we instead just make a speech about how awesome we are in general? Can we get a bonus for turning on the reactor of doom?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 05:51:26 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 26, 2017, 05:55:29 pm »

At its core, the challenge is showing him the coolest technology. It doesn't have to have a practical use (yet), however. Doing something like writing a single plan for a guided tour or speech to the scientist are all fine, but also very optional.
You can show him more than one tech, but generally the focus will be on just one thing.

Whatever you show him doesn't have to be a single design or revision. As long as it's something that Amaok has that you believe is sufficiently scientifically groundbreaking, it'll work for the challenge.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 26, 2017, 07:02:27 pm »

Our laser tech actually fully incorporates the MetHy, so if we show him that then we are showing him lasers and MetHy.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 26, 2017, 07:44:13 pm »

Our laser tech actually fully incorporates the MetHy, so if we show him that then we are showing him lasers and MetHy.

True. And gesture vaguely at the fusion reactor while you're at it.

Then again, what do they have to show? Bolters?

(also)

At its core, the challenge is showing him the coolest technology.

I forgot... we don't have cooling equipment anymore, but does HyMet still cool itself to cryogenic temperatures?
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 26, 2017, 07:50:41 pm »

We have the additional cooling equipment, it's just that it doesn't require a huge huge amount of it to be stable.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 26, 2017, 08:22:30 pm »

The whole point of MetHy is that it's a room temperature superconductor. The cooling system is for the heat from the laser.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 27, 2017, 04:01:57 am »

I think the fusion reactor is the best option, but they don't have anything particularly inspiring at all, so I think whatever we pick is pretty safe.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 27, 2017, 05:42:17 am »

They 'could' have made something this turn. Or just not said anything about it. And no doubt they are very impressed with their guided missiles and sensors or whatever. Not like we have good modular weapon theories and cute little missiles with personable smiley-faces on the front and loads of neat little gizmos for transitioning from orbit to atmosphere... I mean, basically all of our stuff is cooler than theirs. We have attitude, they have Warhammer 40k references...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 27, 2017, 07:57:51 am »

The whole point of MetHy is that it's a room temperature superconductor. The cooling system is for the heat from the laser.

I was trying to make a pun about a "cool" (cryogenic) system. Sorry then.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Supreme Commander Nutcase

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 07, 2017, 12:35:03 pm »

Hmmm... Do we have the knowledge to build nukes? I heard we are having problems engaging Moerthi ships and need something more powerful to take them down.

Anyway, some ground-related proposals just in case anyone feels like we need an edge on the ground.

ABR-1M Assault Rifle Conversion

It is exactly what it says on the tin: something to turn the ABR-1 into an assault rifle to counter Moerthi Bolters in medium-range engagements. New parts include the following: First, and most importantly, a redesigned extractor and receiver to facilitate fully automatic fire reliably that can be installed in existing ABR-1Ms without extensive modification. Second, something not exactly a part, a new reduced-power cartridge that can be produced in normal ABR-1 ammo production lines without much alterations to the tooling in order to make the thing actually work as an assault rifle. Said cartridges are the exact same cartridges as those found in the ABR-1 but shortened and filled with less powder to keep the new weapon controllable without sacrificing its ability to penetrate armor at combat ranges. Third, it's fitted with a new muzzle brake since its cartridges are still quite large for assault rifle cartridges in order to penetrate any known Moerthi body armor in combat ranges.

EFV-1 Armored War Rover

Again, something that's exactly what it says on the tin: it's just an armored car built around a rover chassis. The thing's basic structure is a hexagon-shaped box with a pointed front, with four wide tweels mounted on large suspension arms mounted in each corner of the vehicle. Since it's made to operate in space, it is powered by electric motors, since gas needs oxygen to burn. The vehicle itself is to have four of these motors, one for each wheel, to power it along. Said motors are also made to be very powerful, so the resulting vehicle can be fast and possibly still be of use when weapons that make its armor useless become prolific. The vehicle itself is to be large enough to carry seven people, two crew, and five passengers, in a section of its structure that can be easily removed to repurpose the chassis for other things. It is to be armed with some sort of heavy weapon, probably either a machine gun based off of the ABR-1 assault rifle conversion I have proposed, or some sort of heavy laser weapon based off of the "Stand Off" Laser Vessel's primary armament, should time be found to make either of them.

-EDIT-

Something we are in dire need of.

ABR-1M Ammunition Production Line Revision

If there is anything giving Amaok problems that isn't Moerthi, it's the lack of ABR-1 ammunition. This revision isn't much of a revision to the weapon itself as it is to the lines producing it and supplies to keep it running. The revision itself involves ditching some of the unneeded part-making sections from the production lines and shoving as much ammo manufacturing facilities as possible in order to rectify the ammuntion shortages.

-EDIT-

You know what, I'll go throw in more stuff, this time for space.

ADS-1 "Pilum" Area Defense Missile System

After observing that space battles tend to be very short due to no side being able to do anything about the missiles other than getting hit by them and probably dying afterwards, something to deal with the missiles has been designed. This was the result.

It is a system made to defend against missiles by firing other, smaller missiles at them to shoot them down before they hit their targets.  The missiles themselves are not dissimilar to the "Songbird" guided missiles, but are far smaller and are linked to the sensor systems of the ship mounting them in order to direct them to the target, the former allowing ships to carry lots of these missiles and the latter to cut down on costs per missile. These missiles are to be loaded in pods that carry up to a couple dozen of them, which are then mounted on turrets which point the missiles at the general direction of the threat. If the design works, it should greatly improve the survivability of all Amaok combat vessels should they ever be installed on them.

Quiver-class Missile Destroyer

It is what it is: a new ship-sized combat vessel designed to counter whatever those weird Moerthi destroyers are. The vessel itself is somewhat similar to an ITC, but smaller. It is made small so that it would be easier to install enough rocket engines and their fuel on it to go fast enough to get out of the way of any missile heading towards it that isn't actively chasing after it. Any design elements taken from the ITC only exist to allow it to carry as much missiles as possible, hopefully enough to be able to allow it to carry up to 30 of the homing variant of the Songbird anti-shipping missile, and to make it cheap. In order to direct all of this firepower and possibly allow the thing to use anti-missile systems, it is to be equipped with a sensor suite which should allow it to detect incoming missiles from a reasonable distance away.

It is planned to use primarily metals in its construction and to be be easy enough to build so that up to four may be deployed.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 01:27:53 am by Supreme Commander Nutcase »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31]