Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Computer Challenge  (Read 871 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Computer Challenge
« on: August 28, 2017, 02:37:49 pm »

Here's the challenge. Simply try to think of a forum game you've played, that could not or would likely be inferior if automated by a computer like a video game.

If you have one that you think would not be better if it was totally automated, then next can you think of some parts about it that would probably be easier for the host if they were automated?

My goal is to determine what the value of forum games are besides the fact that they are easier to get started than creating a video game. I'm trying to determine if there's actually games on forums that are superior.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Computer Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 02:45:31 pm »

Word Games
Weaponize It, Association, Avatar Vs, ect.
These are really all about interactions between people.
There's no hosts so there's nothing needing to be automated.

Story Games
Demonhood, Web of Life, Spamkingdom, RTD
Really enjoyed some video games with storytelling like FTL, but there's definitely the ability to go even further if there's someone actually telling the stories themselves. I think it's actually improved in this medium.
I can imagine keeping track of all the facts that would be helpful to have some kind of automated component. In fact I've encountered this.

Some ones I considered, but changed my mind:

Mafia: there's been some fun storytelling done with the hosts but overall I do feel that the core Mafia mechanics are the main attraction and I definitely feel like that can all be automated.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 02:54:59 pm »

Really, a lot of them are like D&D and other tabletop role playing games: it's the GM's ability to come up with a reaction to whatever the players do that really sells it, and you just can't get that with a computer.
Probably the best example I can give for this would be the way that the level up system is set up in Undead Hunt (over in RTD). While there's a small bonus to your health each level, the main part is that you get to give yourself just about any bonus you want when you level up. This can include stuff like being able to turn incorporeal as soon as your first level.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 12:12:02 pm »

bump

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 02:09:19 pm »

just about anything that involves a gm who tells a story. computers aren't good at recognising funny stuff. funny stuff is good, gm gives you points for it (sometimes)
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane