Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assaulting a zombie horde - complications  (Read 1111 times)

Soron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Assaulting a zombie horde - complications
« on: June 29, 2017, 11:52:22 am »

It's been a while since I've played DF, but I've decided to get myself another necromancer's book. This involves some training and preparation, of course, but by and large that's gone well - Legendary3 Fighter, iron gear, good enough skills and attributes to be able to lop off a zombie's head in one blow, and so on.

There's just one slight problem: there's currently a freeze bug when surrounded by too many combatants. Such as, for instance, a zombie horde. And I've created a lot of resurrectable cadavers and body parts nearby, with several necromancers in the tower still.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first visit to this tower went pretty well. I killed 110 zombies in all (mostly in the upper-left), though it took a bit for me to figure out that decapitation seems to work best in this version of DF. Subsequent visits have added probably a few dozen more zombies to my kill list, plus whatever incidental re-reanimated horrors were created by necromancers in the process.

By now, the tower seems to be mostly free of zombies, but it's the freeze bug and the necromancers that worry me more. I've already had to force-quit the game a few times (thankfully without save corruption). In the process, I've seen at least 5 simultaneous necromancers here, and I DO want to kill them all - no fun in sneaking past them! Similarly, I don't want to spend tons of time dragging inanimate corpses away from the entrance's line-of-sight. That leaves me pondering ways to kill the necromancers quickly, and without creating more raiseable body parts, so that I can get in, slaughter those unspeakable forces of darkness, and claim their secrets as my own.

My best weapon skill, currently, is swordsman. But, under the circumstances, I probably want to crush the necromancers' skulls, rather than decapitating them. So, I guess my next step is to train with my iron war hammer, until I'm skilled enough to regularly one-shot enemy skulls.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Assaulting a zombie horde - complications
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 05:19:28 pm »

EDIT I should shut up because I'm drunk.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:23:58 pm by Uzu Bash »

Soron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 10:46:04 pm »

Damn dingoes. This world doesn't seem to have bogeymen, so I got used to sleeping in the wilderness. What I didn't expect was to be ambushed by dingoes while sleeping.

I'm not sure now whether to try assaulting that same tower on a new adventurer, or to go in search of glory elsewhere. Any good ways to deal with large hordes of zombies causing the game to freeze?

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 01:23:16 am »

EDIT I should shut up because I'm drunk.
sigworthy
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username