Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: symbols.. The beginning of the end  (Read 13779 times)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: symbols.. The beginning of the end
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 04:16:51 pm »

The one hundred thousand cats are burning. The five hundred dwarves are massacring the one hundred thousand cats.

I imagine this looked like the famous battle scene in 300. Just with cats. That are on fire.

Our CATSss, will blot out the sunnnn!!

BenTGaidin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 04:38:07 pm »

As far as I can tell, you can add as many elements to images as you like; I didn't try something quite this... ambitious, but a quick check showed that at least five different things weren't a problem. Personally, I'm using this to engrave notes for myself when I come through in adventure mode... For example, corridors where I've put traps get marked with this:
"The Godly Man" is an image of a dwarf and large, serrated discs. The dwarf is prostrating itself before the large serrated discs.
Edited to add: I just made a new one for the statues I'm using to block off the doors leading into my magma reservoirs. "The Fate of Fools" is an image of dwarves and a magma man. The dwarves are burning. The magma man is burning the dwarves. The dwarves are screaming. The dwarves are melting. The dwarves are dead.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:00:15 pm by BenTGaidin »

L0rd L33t

• Bay Watcher
  • My Life for Auir!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2016, 12:52:35 pm »

That has to be the most chaotic scene I have ever read.
Tantrum Spirals in a Nutshell:
Dwarf 1 is throwing a tantrum!
Dwarf 2: A fight? Count me in!
Dwarf 2: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!
Dwarf 3: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!
Dwarf 4: EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 06:57:28 pm »

As far as I can tell, you can add as many elements to images as you like; I didn't try something quite this... ambitious, but a quick check showed that at least five different things weren't a problem. Personally, I'm using this to engrave notes for myself when I come through in adventure mode... For example, corridors where I've put traps get marked with this:
"The Godly Man" is an image of a dwarf and large, serrated discs. The dwarf is prostrating itself before the large serrated discs.
Edited to add: I just made a new one for the statues I'm using to block off the doors leading into my magma reservoirs. "The Fate of Fools" is an image of dwarves and a magma man. The dwarves are burning. The magma man is burning the dwarves. The dwarves are screaming. The dwarves are melting. The dwarves are dead.
Can you assign floor/wall engravings too? Or are you just placing statues?
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 12:23:22 am »

Can you assign floor/wall engravings too? Or are you just placing statues?
You can commission figurines, statues, and engravings using the same system but you have to assign them one at a time or get one specific job and put it on repeat. (Might be different with manager, I haven't checked.) Thankfully, designing a commission with "Specify a New Image" saves it under "Existing Image" so you don't have to worry about making mistakes in consistency.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
Who even reads the subject line?
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 11:23:56 pm »

You can commission figurines, statues, and engravings using the same system but you have to assign them one at a time or get one specific job and put it on repeat. (Might be different with manager, I haven't checked.) Thankfully, designing a commission with "Specify a New Image" saves it under "Existing Image" so you don't have to worry about making mistakes in consistency.

I meant specifically the ones you engrave on smoothed floors and walls. Testing it myself (like I should have done in the first place!) reveals that yes indeed a little 'D: Details' button pops up when your cursor is over an engraving designation.

Very glad that the images save. I can't seem to see an option to remove those previously used images though - might get annoying with my plan to make a statue of every citizen that wanders in. Oh well. You can filter the list, which is cool too. All in all, this is a really fun feature!

Would love to hear what others are doing with it.
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 10:28:45 pm »

Yup, super hyper necro, but as this actually appeared on TVtropes (and is now a bit of history, see here towards the bottom) i moved the image to somewhere more permanant (Imgur). and to clear any confusion, this was handmade to be silly madness, because why not.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 11:37:46 pm »

I can beat that (but in the morning though) I mean I kinda already did with the super cat statue but I can outdo that

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 01:26:38 pm »

Here we GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 02:25:45 pm »

Ah shoot, i caused a hypernecro.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 11:54:04 am »

How did you get these amazing engravings?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 05:44:28 am »

How did you get these amazing engravings?
Manual editing

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 06:39:32 pm »

To add to the post above mine, said year of programming would likely introduce new bugs on top of not actually adding anything to the game, something that I doubt Toady would be happy with.

i quite often rage at CPU bound games that dont have multithreading because of how difficult and annoying it is to add it later in development, really i dont see multithreaded DF happening until well after v1.0.0 is launched. if it ever does happen it will probably be in v2.0.0 where the entire game gets rebuilt from the ground up to allow for things that just arnt possible because of how the original code works.

now, so that im not completely off topic, this looks like planepacked: crazy cat lady edition
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/
Pages: 1 [2]