Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Fortress of Plaitmined (Lets hope this one lasts longer)  (Read 1207 times)

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Time to try again, this time with a new fort and dfhack's dwarf manipulator (The last one got a bit tedious with job assignments). I customized the embark only slightly, removing a few medical supplies so I could get more skilled dwarves. What could go wrong.

The starting seven are... sub-par, to say the least. Most of them are old ladies over 60, and most are also weak and slow to heal. One of them is 88, the oldest dwarf I've seen. Let's just hope nothing nasty comes.

====================SPRING====================
Nothing much of interest happened during this period. Most of it was spent sorting out beds, food, drink, etc.

Apparently, kaolinite can be used in place of clay, although I'm not sure why I would, since we have a whole ton of clay already.

Workshops are being built, with small 6x6 feeder stockpiles to prevent these dinosaurs of dwarves from walking 50 tiles with a stone.

The living quarters have been finished:

====================SUMMER====================

Oh crap. Wolves.
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Plaitmined (Lets hope this one lasts longer)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 11:02:07 am »

At last! Some migrants with decent traits. They may be high master fish dissectors, however on of them caught my eye. Their name was 'Kib Tickworked' and they had a total of 62 cousins. They are married to one of the best candidates for the militia, 'Urvad Dimpleplanks' a dwarf with high endurance and strength. The two are 33 years old, and are in good health. They came with their only son to this tiny little outpost on an unloved peninsula. 

After stalking the area for half the month, the pack of 7 wolves left, and in came some wild boars. Thankfully, most of the fortress has been moved underground, and all that remains to be done is to set up stockpiles.

Stockpiles are nearly done, and so is the season. I've been attempting to get a small cloth industry going, although there's to much work for this small workforce. The wild boars have left, and albatrosses now roam the surrounding area. They sure are lucky we're vegetarians. For now.

By the way, any name suggestions are welcome.
-Yahtzee

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 12:04:28 pm »

====================AUTUMN====================
And we're back after a short break.

The caravan has arrived, bringing with it.... nothing useful, as usual. I get some cloth just because, and offer some of the excess cranberry wine we have. I've tried getting a small industry going, but the current area just won't do. I'm going to need to start digging deeper and more. Stone living quarters would be nice.

The stockpiles and workshops will only be temporary - they're an absolute mess. On the bright side, I've managed to move all of the starting items into the fort and have disassembled the wagon.

The mess:

(By the way, if these would be better if I wrapped them in a spoiler, let me know)

At last, some decent migrants. Two have competent in a weapon skill, must've been fortress guards. I've begun construction of a small barracks, just in case. The caravan will be leaving soon, but I honestly don't care.

Well, this is odd. It turns out I forgot to disable the hunting labor for one of the new migrants, and he managed to kill a weasel, which, since I had no butcher's shop, appears to be claimed by him and his wife. Trophy hunter?

We've struck galena, which means we can begin creation of lead war-hammers. Or silver. Soon, our competent hammerdwarf will be able to blash some heads in.

It appears that the pack of wolves from before has returned, and is waiting on the edge of the map. Our new militia might get some early training.

Turns out, you can't make lead hammers. I'll find something to do with it, I'm sure. I just don't know what.

The new living quarters are almost done. I'll be devoting an entire level to the sleeping area, and have all the other things on a different floor. Mainly so I don't run out of space. Also, I didn't really like the dining room.

At last, the season has ended. Oddly enough, the weasel corpse is still completely fresh, and nobody will go and dump it. The new bedrooms have been completed and are being filled with superior quality furniture. Just for fun, I'm going to try growing some cranberries. To make more of plaitmined's famous cranberry wine.
-Yahtzee

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 08:36:52 am »

Nice little fort you got going. Yeah it would be better if the pictures were in spoiler tags I think.
What does the area outside look like?

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 04:17:35 pm »

Sorry I've been gone a while, and thanks for the advice on the spoiler tags.

Above ground:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You'll notice that I've set some floors to be constructed, that is because a rather poorly planned attempt at growing cranberries caused most of the fort to collapse. Fortunately, nobody was hurt, although I wish I had planned that a bit better.

====================WINTER====================

It is now Winter, and besides the whole cave in, not much has happened.

A few migrants came and boosted our population up to 18. Surprisingly, there's still to much work, I'll have to work on optimizing jobs. It's mostly to do with the big gaping hole in the roof.

The weasel corpse from last post has been moved to the refuse stockpile, however nobody is getting rid of it. It still hasn't begun rotting yet, which is rather unusual.

The corpse:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our fine two man army has proven their worth against a few wolves. Honestly, I was expecting worse. Turns out, silver hammers are pretty good.

Finally, I have fixed my mistake. The floor is now complete, despite looking absolutely horrid. And despite innumerable delays, the new quarters have been completed. Soon the forts entire population will live in proper stone rooms.

Honestly, this winter was a rather uneventful one. I'm going to attempt to grow some more exotic crops later, and make an actual industry out of them
-Yahtzee

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 07:29:38 pm »

You'll notice that I've set some floors to be constructed, that is because a rather poorly planned attempt at growing cranberries caused most of the fort to collapse.
Building the legend of the Plaitmined's cranberry wine!
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 08:07:22 am »

Ptw! Already looks promising.

Not to be nitpicky, but wouldn't this be more appropriate for the DF community games and stories subforum?

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 09:50:39 pm »

Oh, whoops. Sorry, didn't mean to post in the wrong forum. Should I just copy the current post log over?
-Yahtzee

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 06:59:12 am »

Oh, whoops. Sorry, didn't mean to post in the wrong forum. Should I just copy the current post log over?
No problem at all!
I think you can PM toady and ask him to move it to the community fortress subforum