Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Couple equipment questions: individual choice and cover.  (Read 622 times)

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Couple equipment questions: individual choice and cover.
« on: May 28, 2017, 12:25:58 am »

My search-fu fails again!
When using 'individual choice: melee' in the uniforms to save time, is a dwarf more likely to grab a weapon based on their skill or whatever's shiniest?
Also, for some reason I couldn't find anything... cloaks vs robes. Enough of a difference to switch out the cloaks? I do issue high boots in the uniform, which take care of the lower leg covering, but cloaks have been a surprising help with everything else. Should I add hoods?
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Couple equipment questions: individual choice and cover.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 01:40:42 am »

My search-fu fails again!
When using 'individual choice: melee' in the uniforms to save time, is a dwarf more likely to grab a weapon based on their skill or whatever's shiniest?
Also, for some reason I couldn't find anything... cloaks vs robes. Enough of a difference to switch out the cloaks? I do issue high boots in the uniform, which take care of the lower leg covering, but cloaks have been a surprising help with everything else. Should I add hoods?
I'm not sure exactly what drives a dwarf to choose a particular weapon, but "liking a weapon", skill in a weapon, and weapon value, all are involved. There may be more factors involved.

The difference between robes and cloaks can be found here in the Armor page on the wiki. Robes provide better "lower body" coverage and are type=Over while cloaks are type=Cover, so you can equip both a robe and a cloak at the same time. I usually give them a cheap mail shirt instead of a a robe though. Here is an example of how to make a civilian uniform and modify it to provide better protection. I usually add hoods because you can have one with a helmet, and if the helmet is not available yet, then at least they have the hood.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 11:59:27 pm »

in my experience dwarves value which weapon they are skilled in more than the value of the weapon, but it does play a part
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 01:58:11 am »

The other problem with "individual choice" is that sometimes, during combat, a dorf will realise that his favourite possible weapon is on the far side of the fort, and 50-z away, and that now is the time to go find it.

I think what happens is this: Dorf likes spears, has spear training, arrives at your fort, you have no spears, and he picks up an axe, which is "good enough".... then someone eventually either drops or makes a spear, or unforbids a door leading to a room with a spear in it. And then combat happens. And the dorf goes "I don't want this sword, there's a spear over there" and goes to get it.

It's damn inconvenient. I haven't allowed them to choose their own weapon in many many forts.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 02:55:24 am »

Alright, after a forgotten beast attack left me with some more free equipment and far fewer dwarves to worry about, I'm setting things up more specifically.
I do try to assign them specific weapons, but sudden needs for military and trying to produce quality weapons across the whole range didn't always leave me able or required to.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.