Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hostile creatures become passive after being beaten into submission? Bug?  (Read 1212 times)

HandofCreation0

• Bay Watcher
  • 3D Artist and Ca Calne Fan
    • View Profile
    • HandofCreation0's DeviantART

Was playing my most recent fort of about 10 years, and I happened to spy a big "C" in the populated areas of my caverns. Check it out, it's a cave crocodile. Guess I better deal with it.

Except wait. It's been crippled, and it's not moving. My dwarves are walking past it? What's going on?

Apparently at some point it had a run in with a well armed military dwarf who was off duty. It had been sitting there long enough that it's combat log had disappeared. My guess is that the dwarf beat it until it passed out from pain, then seeing as the crocodile was no longer a threat, went on about their business. Dwarves walk past it carefree, and now it doesn't move at all from it's spot. It simply sits there.

So I've left it sitting there. It sat there for a whole 'nother in game year, never moving. It's really quite pathetic to look at, seeing such a vicious predator reduced to this sad, unflinching husk. I eventually decided to put the thing out of its misery.

Anyone else having similar experiences? A friend in a discord chat says he currently has a similar occurrence going on with a troglodyte a passing dwarf beat senseless. Sadly I do not have a backup or save of this crocodile to show off. Apologies!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:41:58 pm by HandofCreation0 »
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress! Please take a number; the Forgotten Beast will be with you shortly!

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Never had anything like this happening before.
Maybe the creature is trying to flee but it's legs or spine is broken so it just sits there but to the game the creature is stuck in the "fleeing" state so the other dwarves don't see it as a threat.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Large predator behavior has been very buggy for a while now. I had healthy giant jaguars that were fleeing in terror from ordinary civilian dwarves and even fortress cats. I was using the DFhack exterminate script to execute wave after wave of animals trying to get some of the rarer things in the biome to spawn just to test out if some of the creatures I had never seen due to rarity could even spawn or not. Anyway, I didn't even have a fort going, just 7 dwarves and some of their pets milling around by the cart on the surface and I wiped out wave after wave of the usual ravens and such using exterminate to force new creatures to spawn. Anyway, to cut to the chase when I would get something interesting like the giant jaguars they were completely non-aggressive and wouldn't even defend themselves. These are creatures with large predator tags that are four times the size of a grizzly bear. They just ran off at the sight of an unarmed dwarf or even one of the cats. My guess is your cave crocodile might have been suffering similiar issues.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:34:22 pm by Melting Sky »

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a giant show up while I was quantum dumping about 300 logs and about a half dozen unarmed dwarves beat them to a pulp. Another dozen ran over to join in on punching this unconscious giant in the head until one of my miners got back outside and caved their skull in with her pick.

Your primary meeting area is basically the most dangerous place for organic, non-syndrome bearing intruders now, since even the smallest hint of aggression is enough to drive your dwarves into a frenzy where they swarm the thing into submission/death.

OluapPlayer

• Bay Watcher
  • In a time before time, I attacked me.
    • View Profile

This happens every time a hostile animal gets beaten into the ground. I've seen it happen with cave crocs, cave toads, even giant cave spiders. Dwarves beat them until they're prone (I assume the game classifies it as being in a submissive position), the dwarves ignore it, then the animal gets back up and the cycle repeats.