Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giant Mosquitoes, how to use it?  (Read 1049 times)

Godar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Giant Mosquitoes, how to use it?
« on: May 18, 2017, 02:58:30 am »

*start a new conversation*
*shout to everybody*

HEY EVERYONE!! Some elves came in my fortress (little dirty pointed-ear creatures) and they brought a rare female Giant Mosquitoe specimen.
Well, I had a Platinum Statue in my deposit and a Excellent Trader, so I bought it!
And traded 25 iron bolts in one Bull and some fruits :) dumb elves

The wiki says
Giant mosquitoes may also appear as mounts during a siege
That's even possible for my dwarves mount it?! Or can I, dunno, extract mosquitoe milk?

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Mosquitoes, how to use it?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 04:04:52 am »

Sorry to disappoint, but tame giant insects are practically useless at the moment. They can't be trained and their short life spans make their use as pets difficult; same for breeding programs of any kind. Shame, because a Giant Mosquito pit would be especially gruesome way to deal with invaders.

Best use for your purchase would be to butcher it before it dies of old age. Maybe the returns can help you with the fabled Yuckiest Roast Ever Made achievement.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 04:31:22 am »

Elves are supposed to be able to use giant animals (including mosquitoes) as mounts during sieges, but dorfs are completely unable to ride anything other than mine carts (in fortress mode: I know very little about adventure mode). Well, there IS one exception: dwarven infants technically ride their mothers.

Godar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 05:29:02 am »

My fortress was attacked by a Legendary Weremole Beast, which lead 3 of my best fighters to death with it, and infected more of they with that weremole disease... Little by little the dwarfs was being possessed by the remaining spirit of that creature, infecting other dwarfs before they die by the hands of they own friends (not without leading some of they directly to death).
I was playing 7 hours straight in that fortress! I won't let it disappear in that way... 10 dwarfs lasting, Dwarf Therapist said to me that only one was infected and who was it! LOCK DOWN IN THE MAZE THAT MONSTER!!! He died in Peace and let my other dwarfs live and dig.

Now it's time for a releaf, so let's save it and sleep :) Clicked in save and the game crashed! I was playing straight, so it was the FIRST savegame. Didn't save a thing, my fortress succumbed by the hands of XXI century technology... But they wiped out the plague before it!

And, of course, I had time to slaughter that Giant Mosquitoe and use it fat to do some soap!

That's what I call FUN!
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:40:19 pm »

It's a shame it crashed. You can enable seasonal saves so that if you forget to do it manually you can lose at most one season worth of play.