Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves wont Fell Trees  (Read 940 times)

Endemonadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves wont Fell Trees
« on: May 18, 2017, 04:40:08 am »

Ok im new to DF so might be doing something obviously wrong...

But ive got a problem with Felling Trees.

The Dwarves havent felled any trees for about 3 migrant waves now and ive tried literally everything.  Ive googled and googled and changed and amended loads of stuff but those damn dwarves still dont cut any trees down! lol

Im at the stage where my Expedition leader changes his occupation to FELL TREES and he goes outside armed with an axe and..... just stands there until he gets bored then goes back inside.

Ive got 46 dwarves, 4 Axes, lots of Dwarves with Woodcutting activated, every tree on the map is set to be felled, with prioritised trees, theyre all accessible.  And they still refuse to chop any down.

Is this a bug or am i missing something?

Thatotherguy23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves wont Fell Trees
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 05:23:05 am »

I know you may have tried this...But at what level of the tree is it designated for cutting? Remove all tree cutting designations and try again at ground level for them all. I know that sounds weird, but the part of the tree designated for cutting needs to be the accessible one. Many players including myself have mass designated trees to be cut down and not realised this for a long time in game. Hopefully it'll be fixed eventually

Oh and you can't use training axes anymore, only metal ones. Incase you read that somewhere.

One more thing, in (d)esignations (t)ree cutting. Make sure you're not in (m)arking mode and are in standard mode. I actually have no idea if that applies to tree cutting and am away from my DF computer for a couple days so I can't check
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:25:04 am by Thatotherguy23 »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 06:33:28 am »

Are your dorfs burrowed (such as e.g. having a Civilian Alert still active after some emergency civilian rush into relative safety)?
Have they ever cut any trees in this fortress, i.e. is the failure to cut trees something that has happened after working previously?
Are you using some auto chopping plugin? One was bugged generating extra jobs, but has been fixed, but I don't know if it has been released, and, if so, if you've got the fixed version.
Also note that the miner, hunter, and wood cutter professions should not be combined with each other or with any military duties, as these jobs have an "invisible uniform" including the tool, and that uniform clashes with any other uniforms (such as a militia assignment of a weapon).

(and I very much doubt you've tried literally everything: at the most you've tried virtually everything. Literally means "the following is to be interpreted to mean exactly what it says". You probably haven't tried calling the police, for instance [DON'T DO THAT!]).

Endemonadia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 08:47:24 am »

Ok guys I FINALLY FIXED IT!!!

It was a case of removing all of the felling orders/instructions individually on every level that had trees. I then started a very small order of 3 trees and BINGO a dwarf went out and cut one down :D

Im guessing that with all of the trees marked for felling that the game chooses one tree as the next tree to fell and if its bugged/inaccessible then the game doesnt have the logic to move on to the next tree, right?

So the order can never be completed even tho the game thinks the order is perfectly valid.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 10:01:25 am »

Thanks for the feedback. It's useful to know what the problem was when someone else runs into the same problem.

It sounds like all trees were designated to be cut above the ground level, as orders to cut trees in places (currently) physically unreachable are not accepted.

If you want to order felling of all trees using blanket orders, you should designate one edge of the map to the other on the highest level of ground you have trees on, then the next lower one, etc. until you reach the lowest one you have trees on. When a tree gets a new order it will replace the previous one (on the level above), so the process will eventually get all trees designated at their ground levels.
It can also be noted that an order to cut a tree e.g. one level above ground IS perfectly legal from DF's point of view: if you provide access so a cutter can perform cutting at that level (by building a stair, for instance) the tree will be cut down (and that logic make it possible to cut some, but not all, mushroom trees standing in water. I think it's sufficient to cut a major branch to bring a tree down).

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 03:28:42 pm »

Sounds very much like the autochop bug to me - if you've ever used it, then turned it back off  - it didn't do anything except silently block chopping orders :( Fortunately fixed in the latest DFH

If you'd never used autochop it was (is?) still possible to achieve similar results manually using the method Patrik describes

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 04:23:18 pm »

The outcome may be similar, but the causes were rather different. The autochop bug (shared with getplants) caused the same order to be added to the job queue regardless of if it was in the queue already. That, in turn, was cause by DF changing how designations were handled after the code was written.
Thus, a wood chopper could chop down a tree, walk away, walk back to the spot the tree had stood, "chop it down" again, walk away... With getplants you only got one copy per manual execution, so you'd get the job done eventually, but I guess autochop would just pile them up...