Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Domestication Help  (Read 2761 times)

Etc_Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Domestication Help
« on: May 13, 2017, 06:39:26 pm »

I started a fortress to tame the giant wildlife and any underground critters. There are a whole load of crundles walking into my cage traps but they mature at birth, on the wiki it said that creatures who mature at birth are impossible to domesticate. I came to ask if the wiki is still up to date about this, domesticating GCS would be a great help for embarking on future forts.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Domestication Help
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 07:45:36 pm »

They cannot be completely domesticated like horses and dogs, but so long as you do not remove the "train this critter" flag, your trainers will keep them from reverting to wild (just make sure you have enough trainers to work on them occasionally).
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 07:57:57 pm »

Also, as far as I know there's no way to fully domesticate an animal species to where subsequent embarks can bring them along. The training knowledge for wild animals maxes out at Expert, and can't reach Domesticated. Whether or not an animal has a child form only affects the individual animal, not the civilization knowledge, anyway.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 03:42:36 am »

I believe I've seen it said that species training knowledge is transferred to the civ with the trade liaison at a very slow pace, so civ level training expertise can increase, but probably only up to a limit. Similarly, it seems the fortress training expertise cannot reach domestication either, but I don't know if it's been proven to be impossible (there was a thread some months back where someone was working on it, but I don't think a conclusion was reached).
Adult birth animals can never be tamed, which probably would make them impossible to domesticate even if the skill level would somehow be high enough, as you can never get a tame "seed" population.
Animals that are trained before reaching adulthood become tamed individuals, and their offspring inherit that trait (from the mother: the father's training status has no effect on the offspring).

Caveat: I'm not sure what happens with wild animals of domesticated species (e.g. turkeys can sometimes be found wild on some embarks). They ought to follow the normal rule, i.e. adults can only be trained but the training level will decay over time.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 08:09:27 am »

You cannot domesticate adult at birth creatures. If you want to tame them you need to edit their raws to have the [CHILD:X] token, with x being the number of years you want them to stay children.

You can do this in a fort that's already been made by opening up the data/save/region folder that the fort is in and editing the raws found there.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 01:06:11 pm »

You can also hack the training level of individual creatures to tame (I do that with gremlins because they are a pain to retrain when they've become citizens, because retraining is too low a priority job).

Etc_Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 08:52:27 pm »

Thanks for the help, the crundles that were caught are already trained well, quickly raising from just a few facts to general familiarity. (Un)Luckly more crundles walking into my wood destroyer trap when it was being set up so there are more I can use. For a non-giant animal I could domesticate to bring on future embarks would be the jabberers since they take one year to mature for a killer elephant-sized bird.

The liaison never leaves my forts for some reason which explains why my civ gained the knowledge before trading season.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 02:21:16 am »

Crundles are easily trained, and a lot of them increases the training knowledge quickly. However, the training knowledge you see is the one for the fortress, not the civ (I don't know how you'd see the civ training knowledge short of embarking anew and look at the knowledge of that fortress, as it presumably starts at the civ level).

If it's even possible to gain domestication knowledge for a new species (which it probably isn't), Jabberers would probably require a century or more to reach that level. Jabberer and cave dragon (fortress) training knowledge increases a lot slower than easily trained crundle knowledge does. However, a massive number of FPS draining creatures could speed it up a little.

Trade liaisons now tend to hang around until spring or so, enjoying themselves in the tavern after several minutes of hard work on trade negotiations.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 04:18:41 am »

My current fortress has achieved Expert in most of the major cavern creatures, including Jabberers, at 12 years in. Only have two cave dragons though, both female, and sadly a Forgotten Beast rampage appears to have killed off most of the local population of Giant Cave Spiders. Managing to catch a breeding pair of Jabberers contributed greatly. The greatest training knowledge increases appear to come from animals being trained from the wild state, so keeping non-Tame adults caged but flagged for training produces the fastest results, relatively speaking. Caged creatures can't be trained until their training decays back to wild, so there's no need for micromanagement or FPS loss either. Just be sure to let trained ones out to breed once in a while if you want to keep the population up, and be careful to cage new births before they revert to wild.

Crundles are extremely prolific, as I'm sure you've noticed. I have a cage with something like 400 wild crundles stuffed into it, as I've already got enough food for the next millenium or so. Every spring the handful that die of old age get their corpses dumped out and recovered for butchering. Of note, fully wild (untrained) creatures that die of old age can be butchered, unlike tame or trained (stray X) creatures. One of my vaguely-formed future plans for a fully domestic leather industry involves breeding Giant Olms/Toads, letting them revert to wild, then using a drop shaft to splatter them for increased yield. Admittedly, I'll probably abandon this fort due to FPS death and boredom soon.

No idea about diffusion of local training knowledge back to the civilization, as I'm loathe to retire my fort to check. Among other things, I'm more than a little worried about what will happen to my chained dragons, assorted trapped Forgotten Beasts, and the aforementioned cage of crundle holding.

Oh, also, wild members of domesticated species (like the aforementioned turkeys) can be fully tamed as adults. One training session will bring them all the way to Tame.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:20:13 am by YetAnotherLurker »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 07:11:58 am »

Thanks for the domesticated training info YetAnotherLurker.
If you want to check civ training knowledge without losing your fortress you can make a copy of your save and retire the fortress in that save to check, and then revert back to the original save (I'm not saying you should do that, only that you can if you want to). Resuming fortresses is said to lead to various kinds of disorganization, such as all booze being outside of their barrels (where its only useful effect is on cats, that that effect has been nerfed).

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 05:53:33 pm »

Yeah, right now full domestication isn't possible. That would require the economy arc because domestication directly affects what supplies a civ has on hand for embarking. It's coming eventually but we aren't there yet.