Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: drowning dwarves  (Read 1349 times)

Vanux

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
drowning dwarves
« on: April 30, 2017, 10:37:12 pm »

does anyone else do this just for shits and giggles?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: drowning dwarves
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 11:04:57 pm »

Nah, I've found that they'll do it on their own easily enough that I don't have to help them.  I actually really never intentionally kill dwarves, now that I think about it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Vanux

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 11:10:46 pm »

Nah, I've found that they'll do it on their own easily enough that I don't have to help them.  I actually really never intentionally kill dwarves, now that I think about it.

...Yeah, pretty much.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 11:44:41 pm »

Nup. They do it on their own, come thaw.

Urists useless pet drake, though, that gets put in the drowning chamber with pet dogs (they can't be wartrained), pet kittens, and pet guineacocks. Anyone brings a pet female bird gets to keep it in the fowlhouse, as those produce eggs just as well as the unnamed geese do.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Lozzymandias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 04:04:50 am »

I tend to embark on aquifer maps so I can make the central gatehouse fill with water when the invasion charges in to get at my dwarfs. It has all of the fun of watching dwarfs scrabble frantically at the walls that will quickly become their watery grave but without the guilt
"Come on, you sons of elves, do you want to live forever?"

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 08:47:39 am »

once and only once, i had dammed a river and as it was emptying my dwarves were like "hey i can walk through that" then half the fort got swept away and drowned.
so i decided to just end it and burrowed everybody in the river, one singular dwarf got stuck in a tree and i wasnt waiting around for him to die so i just abandoned the fort
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 12:21:41 pm »

BAY12 creates more supervillians than mad science ever did.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 01:45:35 pm »

Drowning? Like... until they're dead? Hell no, do you think we're sadistic madmen over here?

That being said, I once experimented with controlled drowning to quicktrain my dwarves up to Legendary Swimmers. A retractable bridge was repeating over dwarves swimming in 7/7 water, to induce short periods of drowning and accelerated training. It actually worked very well but afterwards I felt bad about it.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 06:20:30 am »

Eh, I prefer to use minecarts for my automated dwarf-drowning (or swimming training) needs. Admittedly, there have been a few issues with visitors deciding to meet with the mayor while he's riding, resulting in a derailed or stuck minecart and a fresh visitor corpse to retrieve, but that's why my pools are drainable.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 04:50:35 am »

Urists useless pet drake, though, that gets put in the drowning chamber with pet dogs (they can't be wartrained), pet kittens, and pet guineacocks. Anyone brings a pet female bird gets to keep it in the fowlhouse, as those produce eggs just as well as the unnamed geese do.

That must be one hell of an unhappy fort...

also, hello thisfox ;)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 05:37:06 am »

That must be one hell of an unhappy fort...

You'd be surprised, an artifact statue in the main room and an unlimited supply of new clean socks seems to help a lot.

I've also been known to peg all the pets out on the surface just in time for the next goblin siege... I must be a horrible person.

also, hello thisfox ;)

Hello Sweetheart!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 09:36:00 am »

If they were grazers, they had it coming ;) real dwarfs have pet rutherers anyway.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 11:43:44 am »

If they were grazers, they had it coming ;) real dwarfs have pet rutherersjabberers anyway.
FTFY.

Though, actually, I've had very little success in getting my dwarves to actually adopt pets, despite huge piles of interesting critters clogging up the tavern and the like. The only adoptions that ever seem to happen in my forts are cats adopting dwarves.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 07:44:42 am »

Hehe, sure, any cave beast works I suppose. I thought the pet-rutherers were from somewhere. maybe Archcrystals, but they just have cave dragon squads and hydra farms, right? :P

and yeah, cats are the only pet I noticed adopting too.