Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is the best way to get your civies to carry weapons?  (Read 632 times)

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
What is the best way to get your civies to carry weapons?
« on: May 14, 2017, 07:40:17 am »

Is it to throw them all into squads?
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best way to get your civies to carry weapons?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 08:06:27 am »

Pretty much.

The only other ways they'll carry weapons is as part of the miner, hunter and woodcutter labours. None of these are all that good for an unarmored civilian when armies come knocking, but they can usually fend off random animals. In the past I did make most of my non-important dwarfs hunters so they could shoot at anything that spooked them, and a vast barrage of bolts would go flying at any hostiles that got past my soldiers and into the fort proper, but in general it wasn't hugely useful compared to just telling them all to wear helmets, mail and carry a real weapon at all times.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the best way to get your civies to carry weapons?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 11:25:40 am »

Yeah when crossbows were more useful it was great to make everyone a hunter or marksdwarf. They'd attempt to flee and shoot and essentially kite any aggressive enemy.

This version its better just to give them armor, shield and something like an axe. Just be aware they won't use their weapon to defend themselves unless their squad is activated they'll keep them strapped on them and try to fist fight if cornered.