Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First undead siege.  (Read 1412 times)

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First undead siege.
« on: May 15, 2017, 11:14:32 am »

The dead walk! Or at least, one did.

I had settled next to a necromancer's tower and thought it would be a long time before any sort of siege. Turns out, I was wrong. Late fall, a single goblin bowman corpse comes to my fort and lays siege.

Turns out, the gate was set up wrong.

Frantically, I conscripted some random hunter hoping he would take care of it. He did. Sort of.

He charged the corpse, dodged an arrow, and tackled it, then began repeatedly punching it in the face. He was winning, and I was going to make him a militia member forever, and-

He fell unconscious. Crud.

The corpse began beating the fainted crossbowdwarf with it's bow, and killed him quickly. I sent another expendable, who died even faster, and then another. He also died.

Finally, I sent my entire fort out to kill the thing. They won, but a fishery worker was wounded in the process.

The four valiant defenders have been placed in a tomb, and statues of them are being commissioned.

Three new migrants have been enlisted, and are training in the new and hastily built barracks.

Our miners are franticly searching for any metal to make battle implements with.

We might have lost once. But we will win next time. We will rebuild, we will rest, we will grow strong. The necromancer may have won his first fight, but let's see how he handles his next.
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First undead siege.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 03:58:54 pm »

You got off quite lucky.

Expect them to return, and in greater numbers.

Bradders

• Bay Watcher
  • A creature fond of drink, incense and industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 04:17:21 pm »

Send out your miners in the early months - by the fall they'll have a lot of mining skill, which doubles as a weapon skill - and is probably thus the highest weapon skill in the fort at that point, since in the first year mining is the only thing they do besides booze and sleep.  Picks are versatile and deadly weapons.  They slice, they puncture, they jam-the-skull-through-the-brains.

For later year sieges you should prepare a squad of dedicated mace or hammerdwarves, to minimize zombie multiplication and maximize limb / head crushing.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 04:42:52 pm »

Ooh, silver.

I've outfitted a group of three assorted misfits with a silver mace and a shield, and am hoping for the best. They're now the forts dedicated militia, and will do whatever it takes to defend it.

As a side project, I've begun work on the dam I wanted to build. I've carved out a bit of a lake for the water, and am working on the turbine room. Some will be diverted to the reservoir, so that I'll have clean water when it's needed.

Strangely, no caravan. Or liaison. It's early spring, they've gotta come soon.
-Yahtzee

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 05:07:12 pm »

If you're under siege when a caravan is due they turn away (showing more smarts than visitors do...). Since the dwarven caravan appears in early autumn, the siege probably blocked it, so you'll have to wait until the next autumn. If you're in range of the elves (and not at war with them) their caravan ought to show up in the first month of spring (something like 6:th -18:th).

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 05:51:58 pm »

That particular chain of events is what the community refers to as !FUN!.  Welcome to the party mate :)

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 06:00:16 pm »

Next time expect a necromancer to come too.
They're terrible at combat but will "convert" any dwarf that dies to their cause.
next time they come, set up a ton of weapon traps and have drawbridges and cage traps ready, And pray to Armok you don't get attacked by them after you wipe out a goblin or elf siege.

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 01:33:46 am »

I am playing a fort with the tower close by and I had the undead siege in the first year. I closed the gates and since I stood no chance had to wait them out. It took them one whole year and a season to go away. Now the fort is 11-12 years old and the undead never returned :( I am getting raided by goblins a lot since I figured that exporting big quantities triggers the sieges. But I am worried about the undead not ever returning and I would so like to get them to siege me. Does anyone know what triggers their attack or how could I check if the tower is still on the world map. I think I read somewhere that towers get destroyed with time.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 04:03:05 am »

You can use Legends Mode info (optionally exported and viewed with Legends Viewer) to check on the state of the tower. It's not impossible that the tower went to war with half a dozen civs at the same time, and thus had its "population" reduced to such a level that it can't muster enough cold bodies to make another siege against you.
The tower probably remains, but that doesn't matter if there's nobody there.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 09:56:41 am »

Once again, a combination of cave beasties, stupidity, and lag managed to defeat me. I retired my fortress.

Time to start anew!

Also, I should go and check legends like you suggested. Perhaps now is the time for an adventurer to come and take over the tower?
-Yahtzee