Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help with new fort idea  (Read 805 times)

DauntlessGolem

• Bay Watcher
  • New player, lets go.
    • View Profile
Need help with new fort idea
« on: May 13, 2017, 03:39:10 am »

So, I just started messing with taverns, and now I want to base a whole fort around an idea. So if after two years after being granted citizenship, people will be fully integrated in your Fort, can they have kids? Let's say I get a   breeding pair couple of animalmen, will they be able to have a kid in my fortress?

Also what would be good world gen parameters for this kind of thing, I want to make a very diverse fort and limit myself with a small Dwarven population

tl;dr I want to play multicultural fortress, best way to do it?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with new fort idea
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 07:35:06 am »

You can get breeding pairs, although it's not easy. I've succeeded with humans and goblins, but don't think I've managed to get an elven couple. Animal people are very rare in my fortresses, so getting those to breed is almost impossible for me (one of the things I'll try [again] in the next fortress in the next DF version).
To get lots of races you need them to be abundant in your world, i.e. there are a lot of them in non hostile civs so some of them go about visiting other fortresses. Thus, you need to rein in genocidal forces such as goblins, humans, titan, and megabests.
A small dwarven population is easily achievable by setting the pop cap low to stop migrants from arriving.
In order to get couples, you need to have a large flow of visitors, i.e. a high visitor cap. I screen all petitioners using info exported from Legends Mode to Legends Viewer once per year to look up each petitioner (not mercs: I kick them out immediately, since they won't petition a second time) to check that the petitioner is married to an opposite gendered person who is still alive and moves around between fortresses as a scholar or performer of some kind (and thus has a chance to visit you to petition). In one case I did actually accept a petition from a merc spouse of a naturalized citizen and managed to get them to produce at least one kid.
A problem is that the tavern tends to get filled up with over stayers who just won't leave. Those block visitor slots from being filled with new visitors. There is no good non violent solution to over stayer problem (I don't consider kill them all/pour magma on them/atom smash them/use them as target practice... proposals out there to be either good or non violent).

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 11:59:12 pm »

What the Taverns need is a new profession: Bouncer

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 03:46:34 am »

A bouncer would definitely be handy.

xtw136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 05:31:50 am »

I think some non-lethal weapons can solve these problems.t

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 07:39:30 am »

Firstly, there are no non lethal weapons: it's just a matter of how long it takes to kill with them, and, to some extent, whether it's possible to use the weapon at all without a significant chance of killing the victim.
Secondly, getting beat up does nothing to get undesirable characters to leave the premises.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 08:02:47 am »

I made a thread sometime ago about a similar idea, exept the dwaves were to live underground and all the others above ground. never got around to it though...
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste