Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Website dedicated for sharing worlds using git repository  (Read 609 times)

Pulec

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Website dedicated for sharing worlds using git repository
« on: May 02, 2017, 07:53:07 am »

I am not sure if I am writing to correct section or if there is something like this already, "share [worlds|fortress|save" search returned little result.

I love Dwarf Fortress mainly because its can gave you all kind of crazy stories set in the world you generate and I think a lot of people heard about BoatMurdered.
There is site like dfstories.com but none to sharing those words.

So let's say you would start a game and document how you decided to embark here/there and what are you doing in the fortress and why are you doing it like that, play for a 1 game year make screenshots, write important facts and etc and save it.
For example I wrote something like this on our little Czech forum you can run translate on it, it should be fun, and sorry only tiny pictures, because forum rules are set to login for viewing attachments...

With that info you would go to a website, put the text there and images, ideally in markdown, or html if you want to.
Then start new git repository (github would do just fine imho) and link to it.

Other people would see the site and the state fortress or your adventurer is decided to get that save and continue playing it, so player just pulls from the repo plays, documents and then push the save.
Player can commit either to master branch or to any new one. Original owner would have to appoint a contributor so the player can do it, this might be done somehow auto-magically perhaps.
And done, the story either has new commit in master or new branch.

Other players then can pull the master or some other branch and continue forever...
With github tools for overview we could easily see how different branches are continuing, where there were most new branches, etc.
And perhaps it could run some tools to analyze the save and make some report or images....

No website is actually needed for this and I guess we can try the "mechanism" right now and just write a new thread about it, but it would be great to have site dedicated just for this like dfstories is.

What do you think? Would you be interested in such site?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Website dedicated for sharing worlds using git repository
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 03:05:49 pm »

Most people use:

http://dffd.bay12games.com/

And post the story to the forum.

What is your improvement?

I mean branching a fort sounds interesting but we already have the capacity to save and discuss a fort.

Pulec

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Website dedicated for sharing worlds using git repository
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 03:41:30 am »

Thanks, I got this point on Freenode's IRC @ #dwarfrortress.

I am not sure what is my improvement yet, its just an idea.
I do not wish to change current dffd usage for saves, merely to provide some alternative.

Let me start the page, game and repo and see how it goes.