Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: troubles with building musical instruments  (Read 1375 times)

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
troubles with building musical instruments
« on: April 10, 2017, 01:35:21 pm »

I'm having a bit of trouble with the musical instruments - the multi-part ones.
(playing a modded race if that makes any difference)

So, one instrument has a body, keyboard, and bellows. I have all three parts.

I make an order to assemble the instrument, and it gets cancelled all the time, with a message that a piece is lacking.

If I just leave it though, eventually, after like a month or two, the instrument will be assembled, and the work order completes.

Now, what's causing it to cancel ? Is it something caused by the work order ? Or would it be to do with someone moving one of the required pieces at the moment that the craftsman is looking for that piece ?

Would setting a stockpile to only accept instrument pieces help ?

YetAnotherLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: troubles with building musical instruments
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 04:36:32 pm »

The most likely culprit is probably dwarves hauling one or more of the instrument's pieces around, possibly to the point where the order tasks the shop, the shop grabs the first piece, then fails due to the second piece being hauled. The order then refreshes, but now the first piece is being hauled back to the stockpile, so it cancels yet again, and so on.

Is your work order just for one of the instrument, or multiple? One possibility I can think of if you're not specifying just a single instrument is that the job is being assigned to more than one workshop, each of which grabs a different piece, and thus making it so no single workshop manages to get all three pieces.

Anyway, I've never used work orders to assemble instruments, I just directly order them at a Craftsdwarf's Workshop on repeat/high priority until they cancel themselves due to lack of parts, so it may be something else.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 05:06:45 pm »

To add to YetAnotherLurker's point about pieces being hauled, a piece can also end up in a bin making it inaccessible whenever anything else is being put into or taken out of the bin.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 05:16:17 pm »

To add to YetAnotherLurker's point about pieces being hauled, a piece can also end up in a bin making it inaccessible whenever anything else is being put into or taken out of the bin.

I see. Very useful.

For now, I've set a stockpile, that only accepts tools, and sheets, and am using that stockpile for the crafts workshops that make scrolls and musical instruments. Seems to work a bit better.

the reason i set a work order, was that I tried it in the workshop directly, and it wouldn't let me, because it couldn't see one of the pieces.