Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scary giant  (Read 950 times)

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scary giant
« on: April 06, 2017, 09:18:39 pm »

Well... A giant just showed up at my fort. Within less than a day, the river thawed and he drowned. The end.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scary giant
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:55:12 pm »

The scary part is that until you dam the river (y'know, so you can control its flow at will) that corpse will be there, littering your map, unable to be removed, forever mocking you.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:07:36 pm »

Note that in a freezing biome damming a river is really easy, and something I regularly do in the first winter. Just channel a two-wide path in the ice as close to the source (map edge) as possible, build a 1x4 bridge raising towards the map edge, build a lever, connect to bridge, pull. In spring the whole river will be dry and you can do any engineering project you fancy.

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 12:15:03 am »

I hadn't thought about damming the river (wasn't sure if messing with the river might break the river tiles), but it should be noted that I can still recover the corpse without that by digging into the ice next time the river freezes.

Damming sounds more fun, though.

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 10:43:54 am »

Just a quick update. After abandoning, I found out in legends mode that two other corpses that had mysteriously appeared in the river were werebeasts that drowned before they could be discovered.

This river is just deadly. It's a wonder I only lost one baby dwarf in it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 07:24:58 pm »

Just a quick update. After abandoning, I found out in legends mode that two other corpses that had mysteriously appeared in the river were werebeasts that drowned before they could be discovered.

This river is just deadly. It's a wonder I only lost one baby dwarf in it.

What you have there is a friendly river spirit protecting your dwarves. I recommend filling the river with magma. River spirits can't be trusted, unless they are booze.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0