Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Materials list question  (Read 628 times)

ctgarlington

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Materials list question
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:30:55 pm »

Couple questions, very specifically related to the issue described in this mantis bug report:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9905

Currently playing a masterwork fortress, and have run into the bug where I attempt to limit a recurring job manager task by material, and get a crash upon narrowing down to many material types (wood being the most common for me).  Per the bug report listed above, it appears to be in some way related to the material indices being listed as a 16-bit signed int, thus having issues displaying >32k materials.  Lethosor states that it would likely be easily fixed by shifting this particular vector to an unsigned 32-bit list.  With that, I have two questions.

a) Is this something that could be fixed via a mod, or is it part of the source/would require enough back-end modification to warrant simply waiting for the next version.  I can handle editing files, but I'm not really a programmer, so my experience with something like this is rudimentary at best.
b) Is there a way to reasonably limit the number of listed materials from within this menu, via a mod or otherwise, without creating a new worldgen.  I've noticed that within the materials list, there's a lot of nonsensical materials (like cow chitin/scales/shells) which are undoubtedly taking up a ton of 'index space' that they probably shouldn't. 

I'll also note that the list is still full of <TreeType> Logs, despite the fact I have Standardized Wood enabled, so that doesn't seem to cull the material filter list the way I'd expect it to.  I know that via masterwork I can disable tons of the animals and whatnot that I currently have enabled (which would save more space), but that seems to require another worldgen which I'd like to avoid if I can.

Thanks!