Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Returning player had Fun  (Read 874 times)

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Returning player had Fun
« on: April 03, 2017, 05:37:43 am »

Hey guys,

I hadn't played for a while (df2012 I think) so I decided to take a look at the new developments.

I really like dfhack manipulator, especially since I couldn't get therapist to run in linux. I also really like the conditional repeating orders, so far everything I normally did with workflow was possible there. Only it seems that it doesn't detect lye properly, so after getting the 20th "make lye (5)" has been completed I decided to check ... and I now have more lye than I'll need in the next century :)

I started on a nice river-canyon map with nearby goblins and a tower. I wanted to avoid locking down and just meet the  zombies head on. Then I got really scared that they decided to show up within the first half year... although I had two macedwarfs in my embark I was pretty sure that wouldn't do it. But fortunately they spawned on the wrong side of the river and immediately left.

I did lose three soldiers though, but to a giant Kea rather than to zombies. Not sure how it happened but I think some of them were not fully armed (although at least one was), but the main problem was my lack of hospital. I quickly built a hospital but there was no thread and no water (freezing biome). By the time I had dug to the cavern to get silk thread and water it was too late for two of them, and one of them was never found. O well, there's always more dwarfs in the mountainhome :)

I didn't trade with the first caravan (was too busy digging ;-)) so didn't get a lot of migrants. I'm now training 4 macedwarfs and 4 xbowdwarfs, surely not enough to survive a proper siege but they made short work of the wildlife. I've had my archers shoot emus for training, much more fun than archery targets...

Some screenshots: terrain (http://imgur.com/D6JKs4Q), workshops, food stockpile under dining room, and mayorial quarters and regular rooms (http://imgur.com/kbD0mLz), and cavern farms (http://imgur.com/3RUn8e4). I decided to farm in the caverns since it is less boring and so I can dig off the soil from the first layer. Soil is for elves.

Everything takes a long time because of labour shortage. 51 citizens but 27 of them are children and 8 soldiers, so only 16 to do actual work. Let's hope that my opal-encrusted gold goblets will attract some more migrants soon :)

I also brought some sheep, I'm anxious to see if I can get a proper whool and cheese industry going with the new conditional orders!

Edit: ended as expected... I never got any more migrants (dead civ?) and in year 3 my 8 military was ordered into battle with about 50 zombies... I thought I could soften them up with my archers, but I forgot that they can climb nowadays, and although my moat was 2 deep, the bottom layer was ice... Improving my fortifications was on the todo list, but I guess I thought a temple with nice musical instruments was more important...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 02:33:13 pm by vanatteveldt »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Returning player had Fun
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 04:03:40 pm »

Zombies don't really soften up from being turned into pincushions. A good macedorf with some armour is a better bet than any number of crossbowmen.

The wool and cheese industry is great, though! :)  I've got a whole lot of walled-in underground pastures for my sheep at the moment, to keep the goblins and giant grey langurs from getting to them.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 06:05:09 pm »

I'm running DT on Fedora fine. It was a bit of a pain to find out how to do it, though.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:11:30 pm »

Zombies don't really soften up from being turned into pincushions. A good macedorf with some armour is a better bet than any number of crossbowmen.

The wool and cheese industry is great, though! :)  I've got a whole lot of walled-in underground pastures for my sheep at the moment, to keep the goblins and giant grey langurs from getting to them.

Re archers: yeah I guess I found out :) I naively just drafted recruits with mace and hammer skills into one squad and hunters into a ranged squad. I guess I should have tried to get as many decent mace dwarfs as possible, and temples and dining halls can wait...

maybe I should reclaim, and check what's up with the parent civ. Will the zombies still be there?

Re cheese and yarn: do you use repeating/conditional orders? How do you at then up?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 01:35:27 am »

I set a shearing twice a month, and spinning dependant on having enough shearing results. I've got about a dozen sheep at the moment, but that changes over time. Milking is more like four times a month, and cheesemaking depends on having any milk. The dorfs just go find one that hasn't been shorn (or milked) for long enough that it will be tappable this month, and off they go. I'm a pretty hands-off farmer. But we've been eating sheep cheese and dyeing sheep yarn, so evidently it's working. We're also eating a terrifying number of yearling lambs, every year, to prevent a sheepsplosion.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 03:01:49 am »

Cool I'll try that!

Re hands off: yeah if it can't be automated I'm not doing it, I play to relax, not to work :)

A propos, is there a way to automate gem cutting?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 03:30:10 am »

Not unless they're all the same sort of gem. I get my dorfs to cut granite for a few 100 or so gemstones, then sell them to a merchant, before I get them to cut anything expensive. Plus, I can then plaster every mug, amulet and figurine I sell with granite gemstones. But once you're cutting the uncut gems you have, it's not easy to automate. Five of these, two of those, twenty of these, nineteen of those.... Sigh.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 10:15:40 am »

DFHack adds an auto-cut-gems order to the (O)ptions, but using the new management ability you may be able to fiddle with traits to auto-cut rough gems. See http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158287.msg7389649#msg7389649 for a lot of example recipes

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 04:05:10 am »

Alright, this one is going down fast :)

I recruited everyone into the self-defense force and ordered them to defend the gates... Result (as expected):

I now have three adult dwarfs left: one is too busy on a mysterious construction to notice all the zombies (let's hope it's a very effective zombie-killing weapon... but from a clothier shop I don't have too much hope), one is resting (presumably from all the hard work fleeing from zombies), and the third is praying in the temple.

I think he's still in denial...:

Half the kids are also playing make-believe.. I can't blame them!

Edit: a couple quick minutes later there's one child left, playing on the frozen river, drowsy from thirst... Time for reclaim :)

Edit2: Quick question about migrants. I was hampered by a lack of migrants: first year 7 (initial) + 7 + 17, second year 21 + 1, third (and last) year 0. My civ is still quite active, but also far away except for a smaller outpost:

So my outpost ruins are to the right, near the tower and the industrious sounding workerlens (in yellow). The main part of my civ is in the left, with a bunch of goblins in between.

I checked a couple migrants, but they all came from the main cities on the left to seek their fortune in phantomportals...

Any idea why I didn't get more migrants? They used to come in droves before, but maybe you need to work harder in DF2014 to get your fresh cheesemakers?

Edit: My god, reclaiming is hard work... The first migrant wave just arrived, and I did nothing but essential stockpiles, dumping rotten stuff into the river, and epsecially build coffin (R), construct coffin, use for burial... I hope I can get the mess cleaned up soon so I can start the actual fortress... BTW, I can easily unforbid e.g. all steel helms with dfhack stocks menu, but is there a way to unforbid all (dwarven) remains?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:35:09 pm by vanatteveldt »