Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Encrust finished goods  (Read 4343 times)

Frectorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Encrust finished goods
« on: March 30, 2017, 01:49:32 am »

Hello Everybody

I am new to Dwarf Fortress and I like the game a lot <3
I have some problems with the gem setting skill. In my gem stockpile I have lots of cut gems. Now I want to encrust some finished goods (mostly mugs or a crown) with the gems. But I always get the error massage, that I do not have finished goods, although I have planty of finished goods in my finished goods stockpile.

Are there only certain types of finished goods, that can be encrusted with gems like rings or cepters? How do I get my gem setting Dwarf to work?

Greetings

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Encrust finished goods
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 03:17:24 am »

All finished goods (including goblets, ropes, books, and quivers) can be encrusted with gems.

Your problem is probably linked stockpiles, but it could be burrows or bins.

Linked stockpiles: If the jewellers workshop is near the finished goods stockpile, it should be able to access it, so probably, you've got the stockpile set up to give to something other than your jewellers workshop, or your workshop not "taking" from that stockpile. Check the stockpile isn't linked to anything, and remove all linkages. Best idea: Make a new finished goods stockpile with no linkages at all, and allowing no bins, near to the jewellers shop, and let it accumulate goods. Then the jeweller should be able to do his job.

Bins are a problem, sometimes, if the dwarves are putting things in them, the jeweller can't see the things in the bin, and says there aren't any. I avoid putting bins in my near-jeweller-finished-goods-stockpile for that reason.

Burrows are not my speciality, but if you're using them, they could interfere.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 05:15:37 am »

My suspicion list has a different priority order than Thisfox' list, but the items are the same:

My prime suspect is bins in a stockpile. Bins cause trouble because access to a bin to e.g. put something into it blocks it from all other access (such as taking things out if it) resulting in job cancellation until the lock is released by finishing the transaction. I'd recommend you not to use bins at all initially, and then only add them in slow measured steps, and preferably only after gaining the knowledge of when you can use them without too much trouble. I only use them for stuff to be traded, as most of the time things are only put into the bins, causing no conflicts, and when the bins are to be hauled to the trade depot nobody is putting stuff into the bins because they're all engaged in hauling to the trade depot (a higher priority task). A few bins will probably no be available for hauling to the trade depot initially, though, because they're locked.

Since you're new to DF you probably haven't started using linked stockpiles, but if you have, it's a powerful tool that has no safety latch, with plenty an opportunity to make holes in your feet. I very rarely use them because I don't set up the complex relations they're good at creating.

I use burrows only for civilian alerts and nuptial encouragement. However, stockpiles outside of burrows would be unavailable to burrowed dorfs.

Frectorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 11:56:57 am »

All finished goods (including goblets, ropes, books, and quivers) can be encrusted with gems.

Your problem is probably linked stockpiles, but it could be burrows or bins.

Linked stockpiles: If the jewellers workshop is near the finished goods stockpile, it should be able to access it, so probably, you've got the stockpile set up to give to something other than your jewellers workshop, or your workshop not "taking" from that stockpile. Check the stockpile isn't linked to anything, and remove all linkages. Best idea: Make a new finished goods stockpile with no linkages at all, and allowing no bins, near to the jewellers shop, and let it accumulate goods. Then the jeweller should be able to do his job.

I had a gem stockpile linked to the Jeweler's Workshop. I saw the option and i thought it would be a good idea to test it :P (OMG)

My prime suspect is bins in a stockpile. Bins cause trouble because access to a bin to e.g. put something into it blocks it from all other access (such as taking things out if it) resulting in job cancellation until the lock is released by finishing the transaction.

I deleted now all linkes and also removed the bins. Just to be sure.

Edit: Side remark

I'd recommend you not to use bins at all initially, and then only add them in slow measured steps, and preferably only after gaining the knowledge of when you can use them without too much trouble.

But to gain knowledge of when a Bin causes trouble, I need to encounter those troubles :P

Now me Gemsetter is happily working :D

thanks guys
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:59:48 am by Frectorius »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 06:11:47 pm »

Nothing says 'Dwarfy' like a heavy stone mug embedded with face-shredding crystals.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 07:11:25 pm »

Nothing says 'Dwarfy' like a heavy stone mug embedded with face-shredding crystals.

...which has somehow been filled with lye. And is on fire.

Edit: Side remark
I'd recommend you not to use bins at all initially, and then only add them in slow measured steps, and preferably only after gaining the knowledge of when you can use them without too much trouble.
But to gain knowledge of when a Bin causes trouble, I need to encounter those troubles :P

I recommend a stockpile which can have bins, but not enough to fill the stockpile. Bins are great for two purposes:
1. They carry a lot of things in a hurry to the traders depot in the event of a caravan.
2. If there are a lot (and I mean more than 50) items in a large (at least 4x4) stockpile, they can be useful in storing things.

But the use of bins will turn around and bite you, as only one dwarf can access any one bin at a time, and some dwarves will take a huge amount of time "accessing" a bin. For example, by walking up from the forges 100z levels below, grabbing something for the bin, walking another 50z, putting the item in the bin, and all the time, from the moment they decided to use the bin, it seems that the bin is "reserved" and every item in it "missing" until that dwarf finishes that action.

Also, large wide binless stockpiles are surprisingly pretty. My metal ingot stockpile, with the binned ingot stockpile above it:

Personally, I love using bins. But I don't use them near my jewellers, for a different reason: My jewellers are surrounded by fancy furniture and fancy finished goods (there's no reason to encrust a -mudstone mug- with gemstones when I could encrust a ☼marble mug☼) and I usually have a spare smith there. The smithery can plate things with gold and silver, but it doesn't have a handy dandy "only do it to these items" system like the jewellers shops do. So I try to keep bins out of the vicinity of the gold plating workshop, as otherwise I get bins with ☼gold spikes☼, ☼silver bands☼ and ☼platinum images of cheese☼ all over them, which annoys me.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!