Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: We don't like the law around here...  (Read 1291 times)

ttdb500

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We don't like the law around here...
« on: March 07, 2017, 06:06:02 pm »

I have played for a while now, on and off, so I understand many of the basic concepts. On the other hand I have never maintained or attained any large settlements (say over 100-150). Subsequently I have had little to no need for a justice system. And then, today, it all changed. Two of my dwarfs refused to comply with my baron's mandate (even if it's actually my fault for not paying attention, but please don't tell them).

I decided to check up on sheriffs and guard captains on the wiki as well as hammerers. Dwarf therapist, which I'm also relatively new to, likewise suggests appointing weak puny dwarfs. The point obviously is that their beatings don't end up killing anyone. I found however, and obviously this is a point of preference, that I spent more time analyzing their traits and preferences etc etc

For instance. Dwarf therapist said I had a dwarf with an empathy of 2 that respected the law. That just reeked of hammerer to me. My actual law man however was trickier though. I looked for dorfs with high dutifulness (DF therapist claims low values will conflict with following the law). In addition I obviously looked at personality and tried to find someone that respected the law. I settled on someone with a respect for the law, medium ish dutifulness (neither here nor there) that wanted dwarves to live together peacefully.

Long story short I have a couple questions. My hammerer only murdered one dwarf and fair enough he broke the law.

1 do other people role play these positions? Do you also appoint law abiding dwarfs that can lay out a beating so prisoners get what they deserve?
2. Are there real traits hat have any impact on being a good law man? Especially, does "Urist McLawdwarf respects the law" have any real impact on his ability to be a sherif/captain of the guard?
3.  Does real crime actually exist? Will I get murders or assaults when my society grows bigger? I'm at 140 with another 10 plus visitors and this is the biggest and busiest I've ever been. I have no idea if real crime will eventually break out.

Lastly does anyone have a goddamn clue what I'm taking about with Urist McPeaceful that wants everyone to get along? I think I figured out which stat it corresponds to in dwarf therapist but kinda think it probably doesn't matter.

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We don't like the law around here...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 07:31:13 pm »

1) Sometimes Ill give a broke soldier the job.  Cushy job, with nice quarters, as a reward.  Maybe thats roleplaying.
2) I think the traits might only affect the strength of the positive thought when enforcing the law... but once I had a vampire who was unhinged and drinking blood in front of people, yet no one reported it.  Not sure if the quality of law enforcement appointees mattered.
3) Tantums, vampires, missed demands/mandates... those're the only crimes Ive seen.  Ive heard of alot more though.

ttdb500

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:30:10 pm »

That's fantastic

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:10:58 pm »

I have played for a while now, on and off, so I understand many of the basic concepts. On the other hand I have never maintained or attained any large settlements (say over 100-150). Subsequently I have had little to no need for a justice system. And then, today, it all changed. Two of my dwarfs refused to comply with my baron's mandate (even if it's actually my fault for not paying attention, but please don't tell them).

I've found magma is a good solution for nobles who make ridiculous demands.

However, if you must have a justice system, imprisonment with chains is less chancy than the tender mercies of a hammerer.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 04:14:37 am »

I use chains (because the Captain of the Guard gets stressed without them) and appoint the best hammerdwarf in the fortress as hammerer. He gets to join the Guard in slot number 2 and gets free choice of any hammer and his own evil cloak and black hood added to the standard Guard uniform. He fights, protects the rabble from giant rats, murders criminals with extreme prejudice.

Long gone are the days when a single execution could bring the fortress down in a loyalty cascade, so I revel in the unpredictability and crazy noble demands.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 04:04:18 am »

I appointed a maimed ex-soldier as the hammerer once. He had been severely injured whilst saving the fortress children from alligators, then unfortunately injured again, by a giant. Result: he had no hands. So he couldn't hold a hammer. I am probably a horrible person.
In my defence, I didn't assign anyone for him to beat up, and he had a cushy place to sit and daydream, so perhaps it was fine. He seemed happy enough.

I don't necessarily give that role to injured/maimed dwarves though, as usually I keep the position of Champion open to such dwarves who have glorified themselves in battle, or at least those who have lost a leg. They get to stump around with a lead or gold crutch, and usually end up whacking forgotten beasts with the dangerously heavy mobility aide. All wooden or lightly-made crutches are forbidden in my fortress.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!