Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Are The Coolest Things You Have Seen Modded Into DF?  (Read 1042 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
What Are The Coolest Things You Have Seen Modded Into DF?
« on: February 25, 2017, 05:22:06 pm »

So I am fairly new to modding Dwarf Fortress. I know how to do things like add new creatures, modify there tissue, make them breathe fire, etc. But what I don't know is the full extent of the game's modding potential. So I will ask you wise forum veterans this: what are the coolest things you have seen modded into DF? What is the most mind blowing, the most amazing, the most insanely overpowered thing you have seen modded so far?

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
Re: What Are The Coolest Things You Have Seen Modded Into DF?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:41:37 pm »

Really i was shocked at the potential for interactions - the stuff I seen in Spellcrafts and Masterwork, for a game that in vanilla only has one magic, is amazing. I still am amzed at how many things you can add as spells and effects, all implemented but none in use in the vanilla game - i imagine that the systems that Toady puts in will revolutionize spellcrafting for everyone, but considering our current situation magic-wise, i really am blown away at the sheer number of magical abilities that have been created.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:46:37 pm »

I'm a real fan of the Gnome Fortress mod that was integrated into Masterwork. In case you don't know, Gnome Fortress lets you play as a race of gnomes that are weak but have huge mechanical aptitude, utilizing electricity and generators and all that.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 09:12:46 pm »

Always loved MW's orcs.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 09:31:38 pm »

Really i was shocked at the potential for interactions - the stuff I seen in Spellcrafts and Masterwork, for a game that in vanilla only has one magic, is amazing. I still am amzed at how many things you can add as spells and effects, all implemented but none in use in the vanilla game - i imagine that the systems that Toady puts in will revolutionize spellcrafting for everyone, but considering our current situation magic-wise, i really am blown away at the sheer number of magical abilities that have been created.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 09:32:06 pm »

sry, screwed up computer
GENERATION 28:

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 09:26:27 am »

I've been very impressed with all the tools people make, like DFLang language generator and Putnam's material helper.  And even the modding forum itself, it's amazing how much help you can get around here and how quickly people respond. 

In the same vein, maybe, better than overpowered creatures, I like the mods that make the game a little simpler to play.  DFHack has a bunch of useful tools, like being able to click on the screen for k/v/q/t information, or shift+down to select an entire stack at once in the trade menu.  And DFHack has been able to do a lot of things for MasterWork, like adding custom livestock to specific civs or making civs that don't feel bad about not wearing clothes. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Evillee03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 03:56:49 am »

I am in the process of creating the strongest creature in Dwarf Fortress, about 75% finished, just need to finish the body and interactions.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 09:08:36 am »

So I've heard of masterwork, but I've never heard of Spellcrafts. What exactly does it let you do?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 05:38:54 pm »

Basic magic for Dwarf Fortress. Lets you shapeshift, conjure stuff, learn spells by studying, learning from a wizard, drinking a wizard's blood, etc.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Arthropleura

• Bay Watcher
  • Elven Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 03:49:27 am »

Tilesets. with ASCII I keep losing things in all the noise, so having a tileset that displays a goblin spear man as a goblin spearman and not something I can mistake for a bush makes the game a lot more playable for me.
We are currently three turns in, and the main hall is coated in blood, intestines and random corpses. There's a huge pile of 3000 items made of human body parts in a corner and remaining members of the staff of the museum are, as I type this, being slowly choked to death by one of our adventurers.