Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anybody else done this challenge? Plus a game plan  (Read 707 times)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Has anybody else done this challenge? Plus a game plan
« on: February 15, 2017, 05:29:40 pm »

I'm calling it "Local flavor", and I sum it up as "You can only eat food made in your fort. Imports are not allowed. You may not butcher imported animals, however, if you wish, their offspring are fair game." I mean, on one hand, in the late game its the same as any other fort, but several forts die early on if they cant get trade food?~ If I didn't cheat, I'd start a succession game of it. I might still if it gets support
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Has anybody else done this challenge? Plus a game plan
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 06:00:04 pm »

While I haven't heard of this specifically, I've heard of "no trade" houserule before.

Even without self-restriction, forts in terrifying areas can easily go years without migrants, visitors or trade, as the undead explosion on surface kills them all; until the fort is able to kill the undead. Regarding brought food, there certainly has been at least 1 evil no-tree no-item embark that I know of as well, and lots of "single pick" challenges into such place.

In fact, initially more difficult might be the opposite; "produce no food on site." You can butcher wagon pullers, but you won't be able to import thousands of meats until the second caravan - and even then, if the hauling is not handled quickly you might have problems due meat rotting.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:05:06 pm by Fleeting Frames »