Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FFVI MOD  (Read 943 times)

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
FFVI MOD
« on: February 13, 2017, 03:14:15 pm »

Okay, i know i suggest alot of stuff on here, and say i want to do alot of stuff - but for real, who here would be down for a Final Fantasy 6 mod? Civs based on the kingdom of Figaro and the Gehstalian Empire, Espers, Magitek Armor(can you use DFhack to make it so that player can ride mounts in adventure mode?), and all that? Specifically, i would make several of the bosses into semi-megabeasts, and make a new megabeast for Kefka. Set worlgen to one Megabeast, of course. Questions include:

-How do make Mount?!?!?!
-If i make Espers drop magicite when killed, what would be a good melting temperature so a character could carry it until they put it over a fire or something, after which point they can drink the liquid magicite to gain powers?
-Can you add a tag so that Megabeasts build towers? This way, Kefka could have a tower, which would be full of various monsters.
-Back to the Mount problem, if i cannot make mounts usable in Adventure Mode, even with DFhack, what could be an alternative for Magitek. Shapeshifting interactions are an obvious solution, but i would rather something else if possible
-Classes i want to add include Monk, Magitek Knight, Knight, Thi-(ahem)-TREASURE HUNTER, and Engineer. Any others you think i could or should add?
-Should Half-Espers be a playable caste? And would anyone want to be a Yeti or Moogle(i personally am not a Moogle fan, but if i wanted to make this for myself alone, there wouldnt be a thread here)
-I know that townsfolk in normal DF consider necro towers a "trouble". Can you make them respond similarly to magic/magitek users without making them EVIL, per say?
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: FFVI MOD
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 06:02:07 pm »

I think most of those would require serious DFHackery to come close, may not be do-able at all. 

Of the FFs, I'd be more interested in a FF7 or FF9 mod.  FF9 would probably translate best into DF.  A lot of race/civs, the humans of Alexandria and Lindblum, the Burmecians/Cleyrans, Black Mages, Qu, Summoners, there are even dwarves and animal people.  FF9 item synthesis is dwarfy.  Eidolons and bosses could be megabeasts.  (imagine the Black Waltz storming your castle)  Might even be possible to approximate Mist Monsters with evil weather. 

FF7 would probably be difficult to exactly capture the feeling, since technology is hard to approximate with DF sometimes, but there are a lot of iconic symbols you could use, buster swords, materia, WEAPON and Jenova mega-beasts, Nanaki-type creatures, and civilizations like Shinra/Midgar, Wutai, Cosmo Canyon Anti-Shinras, maybe also the Cetra.
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:25:36 pm »

Well, as a die-hard fan of VI, i feel that it needs to exist - and alot of the stuff there cant be TOO complex. Mount can be done in Testing mode, and you can take control as an Adventure mode char in testinng mode to play as a mounted character. So all you would have to do in DFhack is to cause the same thing to happen, but with a button press. Otherwise, morphing would be a substitute, and in both cases we end up with working Magitek. Spells are entirely doable - im making a magic mod as it is. So I know i can make that work. And i know the magicite thing can be done - i just want an ideal temperature. Though i would like to make so that touching it temporarily gives you a summoning syndrome, and ingesting it, while it takes away your summoning abilities, gives you PERMANENT magic spells. I know of an Invisibility spell that would work for Phantom, Fireball would work for Ifrit, ive seen a few ice and lightning things too for Ramuh and Shiva. I don't know what all espers i woulld add, tbh. And I already know i could make the Phantom Train and similar things. If I want to make it weak to Holy, i create a substance called Holy that can be thrown like a Fireball for one of the spells, and give a material multiplier.

Not being able to give Kefka a tower by making him a megabeast sucks, but i could make the Warring Triad as Megabeasts, and make Kefka a type of very rare secret that the wielder cannot teach, and makes him extremely powerful, with all of the spell, and immortal. Make them have a OPPOSED_TO_HUMANITY thing, and they would gladly slaughter mankind. Which is perfect on that front.

Classes are best achieved through secrets or through castes - I would actually like to to it by making common liquid substances, brewed from common plants, that give a permanent Class syndrome. After all, some might just want to be a plain Half-Esper - or a plain Human with no special abilities except what they get by beating Espers. Actually, if Kefka wont be the only Megabeast, I can make the Warring Triad into megabeasts(as i said) as well as other major bosses, and leave the whole semi-megabeast category to normal Espers like Ramuh. I would also make Magicite an item used for a Magitek workshop that lets you create substances out of plants or something that, when ingested, give a Magitek ability to the user, such as the ability to turn into(ride around in) Magitek Armor, which would make them very durable and able to throw lightning, fire, and ice around. But no immortality or anything.

The only thing that I cannot think of a replacement for is the making townspeople dislike those with a magical syndrome. And yeah, it would be cool if there was a FF7 mod(FF9 im kinda meh on), but FF6 is my favorite, and I think a mod for it would be rad.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 05:12:55 am »

You cannot make anything react differently towards anything in any way than the way they already do.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 05:34:26 am »

Most FF stuff can't be done too well in DF, but you can give it a shot.  Some of my early mods were FF based.  So I know some things are doable.

Malboros with bad breath are easy.  With a little more difficulty you can make them out of plant matter that can be woven into thread.  They can also transform enemies into themselves like in FF Tactics if you're into that.

Ahriman can inflict a delayed syndrome.  Making it kill its target after a year makes for a fun fort mode situation.  Just make sure it is compatible with adventurers.

Blue magic is tricky but doable if you use an unused tag (like SUPERNATURAL) to designate it.

Don't make Kefka a megabeast, megabeasts have their own names, and "X the Kefka" is silly.  Instead, you can make "godhood" a secret that includes phenomenal power and necromancy.  Then people who unlock the secret can build towers.  Hmm, I wonder if you can use a werebeasts-like monthly transformation to make tower dwelling gods rampage on occasion?

I struggled with Tonberries for a while.  Maybe make them a cave dwelling civ, like kobolds.

Moogles can sense the presence of other moogles using SENSE_CREATURE_CLASS to simulate their vaguely defined telepathy.

Simulating FF mechanics like character classes as castes is clunky and not worth the trouble in my opinion (you'll have people of one class taking unrelated jobs for example, DF just isn't that kind of game).  Making different kinds of magic teachable secrets could work though.  Also black mages as their own species could work, if you want to go that route.

Similarly, I'd suggest just making magitek armor into pet creatures and waiting until mounts are in properly than using transformations to awkwardly simulate riding them.  Enemies will arrive riding them at least.

For Magicite you can just make it a plant that espers drop on death.  You can brew it as a reaction to make it into a liquid, or just eat them straight.  Keep in mind that if espers can learn magicite will be considered sapient body parts and you won't be able to use it for anything.  Speaking doesn't seem to affect this though.

You can't make townspeople hate magic users, but you can make the magic secret lower the creature's social skills, which will make it harder for magic users to make friends.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 08:28:27 am »

I'd certainly play it at least enough to give it a fair try.  Might even create a mod specific version of Rally Ho, since that's already Final Fantasy based (albeit more focused on 1, 4, and 5 since they have square map characters)

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 01:38:49 pm »

Wow, IndigoFenix, lotta good ideas there. A couple of ideas i had related to magic, by the way, was creating a !*@&load of new materials, creating a bunch of material emit effects, and causing all of the creatures that can be hurt by, say, Thunder, to have a impact multiplier. Those who are immune/resistant don't, or have fractional multipliers. Syndromes like Nausea could be a side effect of Bio, spells like Slow and Haste have been done before, and confuse/berserk are also quite do-able in this way. The making kefa-ness a syndrome is perfect- i thought i had said something similar at one point, but you certainly summed it up well, and the werebeast transformation idea is soldi gold. And thx for the tip about Espers and no learning. I might draw up a full list of stuff, like a flowchart of what needs to be done, if i ever have the time to make the mod.
GENERATION 28:

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 03:43:36 pm »

Simulating FF mechanics like character classes as castes is clunky and not worth the trouble in my opinion (you'll have people of one class taking unrelated jobs for example, DF just isn't that kind of game). 

If you were content with just a nod to FF jobclasses, you can change the weapon user names.  So it says Knight instead of Swordsdwarf, Lancer or Dragoon instead of Speardwarf, and so on.  You don't necessarily have to use the default DF weapons.  For example, you could make a weapon called a "Katana" that uses the MACE skill, and change the name of mace users to "Samurai".  But the names are all species related, so if you make your humans into Samurai and forget to change dwarves, a dwarf with a katana will be called a macedwarf. 

I think maybe there was talk of a way to link certain secrets to skill levels, but I don't remember if that was here or a suggestion. 

Also I think Toady is currently working on magical stuff, including wizards.  This all might get a lot easier with the next release. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 07:04:15 pm »

I would love to link to skill lvls, but i think u need DFhack for that. And since this mod is based on FFVI, dorfs would be less of a problem - change the names of humans, and clone the RAWS for different civs, such as the Empire, Returners, Figaro, and maybe Narshe, change values/gear, add in some inherent Magitek castes for the Empire and make Narshe have alot of war dogs. And of course, all of the titles would work out if u did that. Anyhow, i would love if the magic update came down soon, but the artifact update is proly 2 months or more away, and there is an average of 8 to 10 months between updates. That equals a whole year before any magic beyond Necromancy is added.
GENERATION 28:

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 07:17:13 pm »

Instead of a Magitek class, it would probably be better to have some system of magitek infusion to give characters in the Empire magic from captured Espers, similar to how Kefka and Celes got their magic.  Perhaps make it require a living Esper, then later have a way to discover how to learn magic from Magicite - this would fit the development of magic in-universe, plus make it harder to get earlier but develop into a more efficient way later.

As far as races, I wouldn't include half-espers since Terra was unique in that regard, but would include Humans, Espers, Moogles, and possibly Wolf-men like Lone Wolf.  FF6 is fairly sparce as far as races go.
Yetis would probably just be tamable,

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 07:36:45 pm »

Give an Esper a body part that can be removed and melted down and consumed in order to grant the power maybe, and make it so that it is capable of regenerating the lost limb. Just an idea tho.
GENERATION 28: