Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Changes to rocks, metal, gems, jewelry, and currency?  (Read 1836 times)

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to rocks, metal, gems, jewelry, and currency?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 08:26:52 am »

*shrug*
I like stacks of coins.... Its more realistic to me.

In your current version your turning a single bar(an ingot is how I perceive this) into a single tool, that is 6000 cubic cm, basically 6 liters of soda, describing it as a bag of money, then not allowing us to open the bag and take out say 1/10th of the money.  I feel like this isn't realistic.

I can think of other ways of making stacks of coins and even bags of coins, that is realistic and isn't ammo.....seeds.
1.  It stops all possibility of melting the objects without it being a custom reaction we decide on how much it earns.
2.  It would even create work that would cause units to gather the coins and put them into bags and barrels for safe storage.
3.  You can name them whatever you wanted them to be.
4.  You can block them from being used for different things, there is a lot of controls in food items.
5.  You can set their image.
6.  A bag is 100 coins... seed money.  could always just print them in 100 stacks anyway... close to the current 500 stacks.
7.  A barrel is 1000 coins, 10 bags.
8.  Elfs could actually plant their's... you know because they so nature hippy based...
9.  You can set up reactions to spend say 1 gold talent.
10. exchange rates could switch at any value up and down the chart. (i.e. 10 copper talents for 1 silver talents and visa versa, and the in game units would just pick it up and put it in a bag that has room for 1 talent, generally filling bags 1 by 1.)
11. when you spend them they will bring all the bags/barrels they need to the location and leave behind the empty bags/barrels ready to pick up the next stock of talents coming down the line.
12. value is easily set, and plant seeds cannot have quality levels. Nor do they rot.

I almost want to go and make them now... I bet it would be as much fun as making the ammo coins... but I'm actually wading through fish lists right now.... and I'm feeling good about working on and testing a few other reactions, I was wanting to complete yesterday.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 12:58:05 pm »

Nice idea about seed money.
Is the bug with seeds in bags in barrels still standing, tho? I remember I took the abit of forbidding barrels in seed stockpiles to avoid problems but I don't know if it's still necessary
On a side note i think it's a great project. I look forward to try it out.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 01:14:09 pm »

quick answer no.  use to be the entire barrel/bag was picked up and dragged around the map, now the seed itself is grabbed and dropped in the bag that is in the barrel.  if a new bag is needed it grabs a the fresh bag and roams around gathering the seeds then places it in the barrel.... it use to be the other way around, so seeds would end up being unacessible while a dwarf roamed around gathering all the dropped seeds.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 09:11:25 am »

Good to know, thanks.
Pages: 1 [2]