Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding a Tarrasque into the game  (Read 1552 times)

RawChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding a Tarrasque into the game
« on: January 25, 2017, 03:53:30 pm »

So, on my modding escapedes I just finished my giant hive mind insect people civ creation (not antmen) and decided to do one more. This thought led me to createing a new megabeast. So I decided to make a tarrasque(from DND), it went well until I got to the hibernation habits of the tarrasque. The tarrasque is supposed to hibernate every 100-1000 years, but I can't seem to make this work. Does anyone know how to do this?

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
Re: Modding a Tarrasque into the game
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 04:16:16 pm »

Well, I would make the stats for the Tarrasque, and give it a syndrome where it turns into an indestructable block of slade for an amount of frames equal to 500 years - And I would then proceed to give it the spell to transform again, but put, like, a 30 day cooldown, so that it will rampage for at LEAST a month before returning to slumber. I know its not perfect, but the lore says the Tarrasque is unkillable - and i dont think that, y'know, that can be done. So only around once every 500 years, but will rampage for at least a month before returning.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 04:18:42 pm »

So, on my modding escapedes I just finished my giant hive mind insect people civ creation (not antmen) and decided to do one more. This thought led me to createing a new megabeast. So I decided to make a tarrasque(from DND), it went well until I got to the hibernation habits of the tarrasque. The tarrasque is supposed to hibernate every 100-1000 years, but I can't seem to make this work. Does anyone know how to do this?

There are a existing set of 'Tokens' for the games systems, however currently you can't manually hibernate a creature for [X] amount of time. Hibernation is instead simulated by creatures not appearing on the game site during seasons (you wont get bears in winter etc)

The best alternative i can offer you is to roleplay that the tarrasque has recently woken up from its slumber and wont go back to sleep until the end of world gen in another 1400 years. Or follow skelepounds advice and cheese that it turns inanimate for a very very long time.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:01:43 pm »

For your information, since im using something similar in the arcane portion of my magic mod, the amount of "ticks" in 500 years is 438000000. Add that after START:0 in the RAWS as END:438000000 - then it will sleep for 500 years before turning back, and BOOM! You got yaself a Tarrasque hibernation cycle. Might I suggest making his skin laye out of  new material - one that resembles skin superficially, but is at LEAST as hard as stone. Otherwise, killing him won't even be a big thing - he'll die way too easy
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RawChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 05:16:36 pm »

Well I'm kinda shit at modding syndromes, actually I've never actually modded syndromes in anyway. So could you explain to me in a little more detail,so how to make this syndrome?

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 05:49:32 pm »

Alright - what your going to want to do is get both your interaction examples for were-beasts and necro's open. calculate 2400 * 30, or 72000. Add that to the number I gave you for a 500 year time period, and put that over to the side.

Steal the transformation effect from the Werecurse, the part of the syndrome that use CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION
and all the other stuff for the syndrome everything after I_EFFECT and ending at the NO_AGING line. Where, on CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION it says START:0, change it to START:0:END:438000000. Then, on the part of the
Necromancer spell that says CDI:WAIT_PERIOD, write 438072000. Change a few things - the spell name, and make
it so it turn to a living slab of slade instead of a werewolf, just make n immobile creature that cannot talk, made
out of slade - and make it so the Tarrasque in always afflicted by this particular form of "necromancy", and he will surely
be everything you and dream of!

[I_EFFECT:STONEIFY]
   [IE_TARGET:A]
   [IE_IMMEDIATE]
   [SYNDROME]
   [IE_ARENA_NAME:Stoned Tarrasque] <-----4 da lulz
   [SYN_CLASS:WERECURSE]
   [CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:START:0:END:number here]
      [CE:CREATURE:WEREBEAST:DEFAULT]
      [CE:PERIODIC:MOON_PHASE:27:0]
      [CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:START:0]
GENERATION 28:

RawChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 07:00:33 pm »

Ok, I'm just ironing out some of the problems. I'm almost done, I'll post the raws when its finsihed.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 07:02:09 pm »

COOL! Im excited to see it, it was always a favorite of mine from D&D. The whole idea just sounded so monstrously badass, y'know? Anyhow, post it, and lets hope it works properly.
GENERATION 28:

RawChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 08:50:39 pm »

So, i ran into another snag. I'm pretty sure I'm seriously messing up the interaction for hibernation. Could you take a look?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 08:59:03 pm »

Yeah, it looks like you basically copie and pasted alot of the stuff I showed - moon phase is still there and everything! Look, download the Dark Ages: War and Mythos file, and look at the Druid interaction. It has an example of a self transformation spell. But really, i tried to give you a general idea of how you could build it, but I didn't give you the RAW you needed. If the Druid doesnt give you the info you need to make it work, then I'll do the thing for you. But you can't just copy and paste it, that won't work at all.
GENERATION 28:

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 04:46:11 am »

Learning how to construct your own RAW's is important, as each token (the bits in [brackets]) has a function.

Unless you understand how its put together, copy & pasting will only take you so far in getting the results that you would like.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 05:32:30 am »

Timers don't work on offloaded creatures.  Any syndrome that ends will end immediately.

Giving an end time to syndromes with triggers like MOON_PHASE only affects the timing of the entire syndrome, which will be active or inactive based on the trigger.  You can use this to, for instance, make a spell that behaves differently on different days of the month, but that's all.

What your syndrome will actually do is make it turn to stone on the full moon like a wererock, except that it will stop being a wererock as soon as it is offloaded.

The only place a long syndrome timer will be in effect is in fort mode, and that only if you play a fort continuously for 1000 in-game years.

For all practical purposes, you're better off just putting it to sleep forever.  You can make it so that it is practically unkillable, but make its sweat give it a permanent unconsciousness effect.  If you fight it long enough to make it tired, it will go to sleep forever.  Of course, adventurers won't get any credit for this.

You can make an immobile stone Tarrasque that "wakes up" when you encounter it, perhaps with a secretion that transforms it... But if it's a megabeast, it will still go on rampages even when it's supposedly asleep, even though this makes no sense.  And if it's not a megabeast you will find a whole bunch of them.

There really isn't any good way of doing this, I'm afraid.  My advice is simply enjoy your Tarrasque as a generic rampaging monster and forget the hibernation.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 04:06:39 pm »

Wait - my entire idea of wizards relies on the fact that they have a 500 year cooldown on the spell they have, to summon whatever creature that they have earned. Are you saying that the cooldown timer wont work, and that they can and will end up with like 50 hydras?

Or is it the timer on the temporary transformation, the one that says for the transformation to end after 500 years worth of frames?
GENERATION 28:

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 05:36:25 am »

Wait - my entire idea of wizards relies on the fact that they have a 500 year cooldown on the spell they have, to summon whatever creature that they have earned. Are you saying that the cooldown timer wont work, and that they can and will end up with like 50 hydras?

Or is it the timer on the temporary transformation, the one that says for the transformation to end after 500 years worth of frames?

Interaction cooldowns are...weird.  They seem to pause while offloaded, but aren't always connected to the number of ticks in any event.  I think you can make it so that an interaction can only be used once by not giving it a cooldown timer at all.

Also, note that standard creature interactions, with the exception of animating corpses, have no effect in worldgen, and animation interactions will not respect cooldown timers.  Were you trying to make a wizard that animates a single hydra partner from a corpse every 500 years?  You will actually get a wizard living in a tower constructed by a horde of zombie-hydras (and they may also do weird buggy things in worldgen).  But I wasn't talking about those, I'm only talking about syndrome timers.

If you make a temporary transformation that ends after 500 years, the syndrome will wear off the moment they are offloaded (i.e. if you go into fast-travel mode).  Similarly, worldgen interaction attacks (like werewolf bites) and learning secrets won't do anything in worldgen if their effect is temporary.  Basically timed syndrome effects only work while the creature is actively in the game.  A 500 year timer is useless; either make it permanent or short-term.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 09:28:57 pm »

Daaaamn. Thats, like, a bummer- it totally ruins my entire plan! I now have to figure out how to make it a one time only spell...
GENERATION 28: