Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Understanding Limitations and Options  (Read 490 times)

DrTank09

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Understanding Limitations and Options
« on: January 27, 2017, 02:42:09 am »

So I'm working on a realism mod, and have been doing quite a bit of research into the Renaissance.  One of the great things is the differences in technology throughout the areas and I want to capitalize on this to remove some of the staleness from a long game of DF.  Something that causes the player to eventually rethink what is possible.  There are a number of things I would like to try through the RAWS before I begin studying up on dfhack.

1. Is it possible to limit reactions based not only on what skill is active, but what level of skill the dwarf has?
2. Is it possible to limit reactions based on caste?
3. Using place holders for reaction, item, building, and creature IDs, is it possible to change the place holders into full blown raws without having to regen a game?
4. I am looking to use items such as torcs, arm bands, necklaces, sashes, and other such clothing in order to signify rank.  How can I force an equip of these items without conflicting with coded uniforms for miners, woodcutters, and hunters?
5. Is it possible to use an interaction to permit a civilization to build buildings or make items in dwarf mode?  I haven't actually gleaned a whole lot of information regarding interactions vs reactions or how they function.

Edit 1:
forgot to add a last question
6. Is there a way to limit the quality of a good based on material i.e. a lead sword can never be all that great of quality because of it's properties and thus should never be considered to be masterful.

I know that I could just create a separate items based on reaction class.  Sword_Quality_Metal = Sword and NOT_SWORD_QUALITY_METAL = Poor Quality sword with lower value.

This seems to be a little less exact than what I am hopping is possible.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 04:47:16 am by DrTank09 »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding Limitations and Options
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 07:12:05 am »

1. No
2. No
3. Only for reactions, really
4. You cannot
5. No, interactions and reactions are entirely unrelated
6. No

DrTank09

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 01:30:18 pm »

Thanks Putnam.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 01:54:54 pm »

1. Yes, via DFHack, but you can't stop them from starting the reaction, only keep them from consuming reagents and producing products.
2. Yes, via the same method used for #1
3. Yes for reactions and buildings (I tested both at various times)
4. Nope.
5. Yes, you can limit what can be made or built via DFHack scripts (see "modtools/edit-build-list", something similar can be done for reactions).
6. Yes, once again via DFHack

Basically most of your questions are not possible unless you want to/can use DFHack, then they become possible. Note that unless you are fairly good with Lua you will probably not have much luck...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

DrTank09

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 11:45:25 pm »

I applied outside my field for a UX design masters program.  I know I'm going to have to start learning coding one way or another, so why not doing something I enjoy, like modding dwarf fortress.  I know LUA probably wont be something I'll use professionally, but I've never really done any programming before, so I can see this as dipping my feet in the water.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 02:08:12 pm »

Good luck!

Most DFHack stuff is poorly documented, so the best way to learn is to look at what has been done by others. Masterwork used to be a good mod to look at (several years ago), but I don't know how cutting edge it is now. I have several mods that do some really weird and wonderful things, Rubble comes with a bunch of DFHack code, and my Underhive Settlement reboot is also DFHack heavy.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS