Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 0.43.03 vs 0.43.05 vs new release  (Read 1847 times)

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
0.43.03 vs 0.43.05 vs new release
« on: January 26, 2017, 04:39:37 am »

I haven't been following DF for about a year, so I don't know the details. I strongly prefer playing with a DFHack, but there is only 43.03 version, and it's been like that for a long time. Is it because 64bit release is taking a long time to rewrite? If so, when it is finally out, will it be 43.05 or a new release? And is .05 worth playing over .03? If it's really good, I can skip on DFHack. I didn't want to post it in DFHack thread, since it's not related to development.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.43.03 vs 0.43.05 vs new release
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 04:59:31 am »

There is currently a already a build for 43.05's dfhack on the dwarf fortress file depot here that i personally use on my 43.05 release without much hassle - http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12504

Generally i would of course recommend 43.05 given that it gets rid of some notable bugs between your .03 version (though the game still has some old bugs present) The change to 64 bit isn't really a issue really either as it just means it will run better on newer systems

> Though if you do run on a 32 bit system, there is a option on 'All versions' on the release screen to download the 32 bit version of 43.05

> Notable bug fixes, some creature raw edits (Gorlaks were fixed to have giant heads) glob materials (paper slurry) is now stockpiled and a new combat system that counts for force (body parts will be shook & twisted by high velocity hits) and material properties (materials can now be broken & penetrated much more realistically, armor will wear down and can be busted by over-use if it is not super strong or artifact level quality)

So realistically you could break someones poor quality wooden shield with a much more superior quality weapon in a bit of a rock-paper-scissors situation where steel & adamantium (adamantium can cut through steel like butter reducing it to useless broken messes) are high quality & reliable materials most of the time

> You can also with the new twisting system, using maces & other blunt weapons pulp people inside their armor which rebounds against them & makes injuries worse.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 05:03:25 am by FantasticDorf »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 10:02:16 pm »

My main reasons for upgrading from 43.03 to 43.05 was the bug that crashed the game when you were in the Stocks screen and up-arrowed to the last page of the Stocks, and the temple/tavern/library features that were added or improved in 43.05 that I read about.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 11:40:16 pm »

Don't think there were any changes to temple/tavern/library stuff in 43.05, the 43.04/43.05 upgrade was 64 bit (runs better in situations where you were slowing down in 32 bit versions, world-gen slows down less, less trouble from massive worlds with long history) plus armor damage/joint damage and the fix so bandits and soldiers actually equip armor correctly instead of just helms/body armor and nothing else.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 09:16:33 pm »

Don't think there were any changes to temple/tavern/library stuff in 43.05, the 43.04/43.05 upgrade was 64 bit (runs better in situations where you were slowing down in 32 bit versions, world-gen slows down less, less trouble from massive worlds with long history) plus armor damage/joint damage and the fix so bandits and soldiers actually equip armor correctly instead of just helms/body armor and nothing else.

Also achievement badges, which I didn't know was in there but is a pleasant surprise.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 09:37:18 pm »

Assuming you're not trollan' and mean the legendary hunter/dancer/poet/protector of the weak/etc that was in 42.01 though.