Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HFS (SPOILERS!!!)  (Read 1575 times)

Resonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HFS (SPOILERS!!!)
« on: January 24, 2017, 05:10:32 am »

Guys . . . I am in the process of something huge . . .
With forty dedicated military dwarfs, legendary 5 times over in every combat skill, 30 mele and 10 ranged . . . I am successfully holding an HFS invasion at bay. At the moment i am typing this, i have defeated 30 demons and lost seven dwarfs, in an even fight on equal ground.
I didnt know it was possible, but holy hell, dwarfs can be strong. 18 years this fort has been in the making, with MANY safety precautions and much planning in place for such an event, with a small problem. I placed a 4X2 bridge over a 2x2 stairwell, covering the entrance to the HFS, but aparently demons can walk up and adjacent to the bridge, getting through the majority of the tricks I had in place (obsidian casting+repeating spikes). Summoning the full force of the military in a desperate attempt to curb the invasion, they met midway through the last hall, and the epic fight continues. As of now, the score is 9 dwarfs to 42 demons . . . an amazing feat, being outnumbered 97 to 40.
One of my militia commanders arrived before the rest of the military, and successfully 5v1 the demons, taking all of them down before being overrun by the next wave.

Will update as the fight continues.

Resonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HFS (SPOILERS!!!)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 05:13:15 am »

We are now 12/70. the fighting continues, ash and blood covering the floor. the number of demons is dwindeling, and the dwarfs become ever more hopeful the fighting will soon be done  . . .
Thirty left at the time of writing.

Resonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:24:51 am »

Hopes were high at the beginning, but now it appears it may have been for naught. The demons continue to arise from the depths, and my military simply cannot keep up. We have lost 15 of our bravest souls, but the demons have gotten into the caverns, a level above, and flame chokes the life from their bodies even as we speak. We know that no matter how strong, well trained, or intelligent a dwarf is, a wall of flame between you and the stairwell is a death sentence on any day. The fort shall activate it's final defense soon, a 10x10X10 block above the only stairwell, as the demons approach it. To all of the brave, stupid, noble dwarfs that gave their lives, we raise a mug to your efforts.
Drink well in Valhalla, warriors!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:35:06 am »

Drink well in valhalla.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 12:14:31 am »

Ho la Odin. And across the rainbow bridge they will go.

The hordes of Hell don't stop easily. There's usually hundreds of them, you just faced the initial rush. Next time try a full 100 warriors and make sure that bridge covers the surrounding spaces completely. You might also consider airlocking it so your soldiers face small groups of demons instead of all together. Get them a good fighting chamber. Put a bridge over the stairway down, and then a bridge over the stairway on the next level up. Keep the one up closed, open the bottom one. Close it once you have some demons. Rinse, repeat, and as soon as you've dispatched the initial horde, get down into Hell and start sealing it up while the Demons trickle in.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 05:15:50 am »

Alternatively, build a minecart based trap corridor.  The legions of hell are no match for dwarven ingenuity.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 06:48:07 pm »

The lords of the underworld are not to be trifled with, but one thing I have learned in fighting them is that they, like all things, are still beholden to the God of the RND. In one fortress you might breach the screaming abyss and be greeted by hordes of demons made of materials so fragile that a cat can dispatch some of them and your well armed Dwarves the rest and in another fort your army of omni legendary fighters may fall to single flying steel abomination that spews flesh melting necrotic dust. You never know what awaits you down there, but generally unless you are very, very lucky it will be one Hell of a fight.

May Armok bless your brave dwarfs in both life and death. May their final battle be a glorious one.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:51:54 pm by Melting Sky »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 07:15:20 pm »

If one's made of steel, give up. There'll be more and one alone will be a match for candy clad legendary dwarves, not even my naturally much stronger and more combat reared Draconians, which are larger than humans, in masterwork candy and burning steel (a heavier but stronger steel) could match a steel rhino. The rest fell easily, but the blood thirsting steel rhinos were busy ramming through my draconian warriors and shattering their guts. Candy warclaws and bone breakers bouncing off their bodies easily, nothing could stop them.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 07:51:50 am »

What about gravity traps and halls of repeating adamantine spikes? You could also link up a dwarven minecart railgun.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 12:18:11 am »

What about gravity traps and halls of repeating adamantine spikes? You could also link up a dwarven minecart railgun.

Yeah, outside of a fair fight, there is nothing dwarves cannot kill simply by dropping the ceiling on it or setting up a candy goblin grinder style trap.