Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Druid Magic  (Read 1568 times)

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
Druid Magic
« on: January 22, 2017, 11:58:11 am »

Hey, long time fan of dwarf fortress, and I recently finished the basic part of a new mod - Druid Magic. It takes a different look at the basic Necromancer systems, making each different type of magic only one spell. SO, if you journey far too the south in search of the Summon Penguin spell(yes, its a thing), you will still need to go to several OTHER locations to get any other spells, thus making you a more effective and powerful druidic sorcerer. There are currently 30 different spells, all of them summoning related. Primarily animals and Giant animals, but if you are lucky you can get summon Unicorn, summon Satyr or the legendary magic Summon Roc(Because sometimes you just gotta be OP). Comes with the files for the new spells, and a special, pre-generated world that has plenty of magic in it(necromancy and 5 of the Druid spells, including the Roc spell). This is an early build, i actually have no idea whether this will work the way it did in testing mode, but I hope it will. In future I have plans for a couple more mods of a similar nature - a Divine magic mod that focuses on healing and buffing spells is next, so you can recover your wounds with Second Rune of Life, but you cannot cast it very often, or you can buff your amigo's Strength for a few turns, and cast that one more often. Lemme know what you think, and any more experienced modders, it would be cool if you could tell me how to do what Masterwork did, and make spells researchable. That way there can be more magic in a world. Ill be uploading it in a couple of days, i want to make sure its at its best before i do.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Re: Druid Magic
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:15:14 am »

Hey, long time fan of dwarf fortress, and I recently finished the basic part of a new mod - Druid Magic. It takes a different look at the basic Necromancer systems, making each different type of magic only one spell. SO, if you journey far too the south in search of the Summon Penguin spell(yes, its a thing), you will still need to go to several OTHER locations to get any other spells, thus making you a more effective and powerful druidic sorcerer. There are currently 30 different spells, all of them summoning related. Primarily animals and Giant animals, but if you are lucky you can get summon Unicorn, summon Satyr or the legendary magic Summon Roc(Because sometimes you just gotta be OP). Comes with the files for the new spells, and a special, pre-generated world that has plenty of magic in it(necromancy and 5 of the Druid spells, including the Roc spell). This is an early build, i actually have no idea whether this will work the way it did in testing mode, but I hope it will. In future I have plans for a couple more mods of a similar nature - a Divine magic mod that focuses on healing and buffing spells is next, so you can recover your wounds with Second Rune of Life, but you cannot cast it very often, or you can buff your amigo's Strength for a few turns, and cast that one more often. Lemme know what you think, and any more experienced modders, it would be cool if you could tell me how to do what Masterwork did, and make spells researchable. That way there can be more magic in a world. Ill be uploading it in a couple of days, i want to make sure its at its best before i do.

Awesome idea, man! I'd love to play around with it between my own bits of mod work, studying how it works to try and make something similar with different magics
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 11:54:37 pm »

Actually, im building some lore, and my final release will have FOUR new schools of Magic:
Sorcerers use Druid magic(I know its a weird name - go with it) and have 30 spells total that can exist.
They can only summon using a dead body because, in nature magic, there must be balance - to create a life, there must be a death.
They are not immortal, and must eat, sleep, etc.

Wizards use Arcane magic, and gain powers from either Primordials(new megabeast) or Creation gods. They are immortal, but
must eat, sleep, etc. They can summon a megabeast to aid them - a pheonix, or a hydra, or something else, depends on what type - but
only one every 500 years. So an ancient wizard is, in fact, more powerful. THEY need a dead body to summon as it acts as the host, and the
spell just catalyses a transformation. Their megabeast(s) is a manifestation of raw arcane energy, rather than a "true", independant megabeast(has exact same stats tho)

Clerics/High Priests use healing magic, and have healing and empowering spells - they can fully heal you/an ally, but ony rarely(once a day), and they can boost Strength or Agility or Endurance temporarily(more often) They get powers from gods of light, good, law, etc.

Warlocks are dark wizards - when you defile a temple, there is a chance that, rather than being cursed by the gods, a demon will take note, and reward you with great strength and a new magical ability - the ultimate mockey of gods. Warlock magic is spread through blood, not spellbooks, and consists of magics like Harm and Blight, as well as a boost to physical stats, immortality, and no need to sleep or eat. Unlike vampires(the template), they do not need blood to live.

A few spells, like Harm, are taken from Dark Ages or Masterwork, as are all new megabeasts minus the primordial, which is an original. All druid spells and arcane spells are, however original, and were more time-consuming than difficult to make. The cleric and warlock are not done, but the warlock will be original with both new AND ripped-off spell variants, wheras most Cleric spells will, in fact, be original. And yes, the goal is to make each spell individually learned - becoming a wizard does not give you the Hydra, Manticore AND pheonix pell, if you want those, all three must appear, and you must journey seperately for each one. This means you can have a custom blend of spells, such as mixing Druid and Warlock magic with Blight and Summon Rat to be a sort of "filth-mage", or getting First Rune of Healing to help out your Wizard's Wyvern when it is injured.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:59:57 pm by skelepound »
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 12:29:40 am »

Nice!

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 12:33:04 am »

Any suggestions on how to maybe make spells researchable, or otherwise more common? Even with secrets at 1000, and the biggest, longest history my computer can handle without being STUPID, I count myself lucky for genning a world with one type of Wizard and 2 types of Druid, and one type of Necromancer. Looking at the RAW's, i cannot clearly see a way to make it more prevalent. Is there a way to make a race more likely to pursue immortality?
GENERATION 28:

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 07:04:37 am »

I do not believe so.

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 12:57:50 pm »

Hmm. Well, I could also make physical manifestation of the spells maybe? Like wandering wizards that know how to cast spells - a sorcerer with Summon Satyr or a Cleric with AGI Up - and they can settle in fortresses and teach the spells? Is it possible to make a certain race spawn with a pre-existing syndrome? They would need a special creature RAW txt file, so that people who DON'T want high magic can remove 'em. And they would have to be classed as mega/semi-megabeasts, so that you don't have HUNDREDS of mages and de-value the power entirely. If not tho, I could just give them a magic staff that gives them the syndrome of a wizard or a cleric or whatnot.

Lastly, I am going to work on items with syndromes, as I feel that warrior chars would have an unfair weakness, and add some magic weapons. Things that make you buff, or fast, or a sword that raises your Swordsmanship 3 levels when used. That I might be able to do on my own, tho, i think i know how.

Also - i forgot - since im going by the D&D style magic types, im considering adding psionic characters, as a rare possible caste of char. You get to stary with a cool, useful power, like pyrokinesis, mental projection(basically summoning a ghost-like minion from a corpse to protect you, but it disappears after a few turns), and maybe levitation(flying), but the tradeoff will be that certain kinds of magic are unusable - you get to START with powers, but you wont be able to use arcane or druid magic - one or the other, maybe both. Porbably Druid, and the backstory will be like D&D - you have a link to a strange other dimensions, and thus are more removed from the natural world than normal humans. Since Druid magic is easier to obtain, and can be quite powerful, I think it is a balanced tradeoff
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:04:50 pm by skelepound »
GENERATION 28:

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 09:30:13 pm »

justt bumping this thread - new stuff bein added too, the Warlock is pretty much done, which puts it at the half-way mark.
GENERATION 28: