Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cagithoddom - Crycloisters: Invading The Enemy Capital.  (Read 4469 times)

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cagithoddom - Crycloisters: Invading The Enemy Capital.
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2016, 03:03:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We're back and it smells like the goblin corpses in the graveyard are decomposing.
Hopefully the miasma will not reach my dwarves. It's still a few tiles away from them and my staircase.

The woodworker that was supposed to make the beds is busy hauling the troll-killing marble block to he stockpile. I disable all hauling on him except wood hauling. He will need that one to make the beds.
The blind fiends are back to busting down the hatch. They stopped for some time. I wonder how much time we have before they reach us. Hopefully we'll get a couple of legendary cheesmakers to distract them by then.
Someone is keeping Shem company, making sure she's alright. Oh, wait, that's a troglodyte!
She's awake now and she's having a nice little chat with it. Nice to see she's not too upset over what happened.
The only way the troglodyte could have climbed into the graveyard is through the staircase where my woodcutter is working. He was not interrupted by the troglodyte.
And my fisherman's there too! the troglodyte must be friendly! There is also a hood lying randomly on the ground next to her.
The troglodyte wanders into the living quarters, strait past my dwarves. speaking of living quarters my woodworker, Kivish, has finally dropped the marble and is heading towards the carpenter's shop.
The fat troglodyte lady () is terrified and running away from the beak dog who is chasing her. It seems the beak dogs are only neutral to dwarves.
The beak dog tries to bite a few times but the troglodyte dodges.
The graveyard has nearly stopped producing foul fumes as the beak dog chases the fat troglodyte lady across it. Edem watches as they head towards the south-eastern corner of the chamber. She nears in to see what's going on when the troglodyte reveals her true nature.
Edem retaliates.
Troglodyte blood spatters appear on the floor. The beak dog backs off, leaving the troglodyte to the dwarf.
She manages to bruise the troglodytes heart. Maybe soon she'll be able to take on veterans like Usbu.

Then out of nowhere two more troglodytes appear. Edem backs off, to the staircase. There Stodir, our fisherdwarf is climbing out of the caverns with her catch.
Stodir is drafted into the military. She and Edem are tasked with killing the troglodytes. While they are preparing, the beak dog is chasing the troglodytes around.
Shem ignores her injuries and goes to help her comrades.
Just then, a new troglodyte jumps out of the pits and ambushes Shem.

I check the reports to see how they're going.
Edem is finally using her weapon. That's good news. She managed to numb a leg and sever an arm. If only she was using the pick against the troll.
Shem is not faring as Edem but she is holding in there. She isn't too wounded yet, aside from the injuries the troll had inflicted.
She bites the troglodyte in the hand, and is now shaking it around.
And she knocks the troglodyte unconscious! If no new troglodytes show up she should be alright.
Edem kills the troglodyte! She goes to help Shem.
Before she arrives, however, the troglodytes bleeds out. Sadly, she did not remain unscathed.
Edem rushes through a cloud of miasma to kill the remaining troglodytes.
One down, one to go.
And it is done.
Or not.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 05:30:59 am »

That's an unusually massive amount of miasma.

Your woodworker should probably make wheelbarrows too.

Fish cleaner? Didn't you embark on land?

Poor Troglodyte lady. Though the neutrality of these lands is weird. This is not an invasion, this is a tourist sightseeing.

Oh, cavern lake fishing.

Weren't the troglodytes supposed to be peaceful? Why attack them.
Heh, Troglodyte takes pick to the skull and survives for a bit.

Going to bestow name on that pick soon. Maybe upgrade to steel before that?

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2017, 10:45:46 am »

Damn, it's been so long since my last update. Sorry for that.

As you may or may not remember, we had a little trogolodyte incident last update. One troglodyte survived and today we'll be fixing that!
He's already pretty wounded so he shouldn't pose to much of a threat. And my militia dwarves aren't the only ones who are fighting.

Quickly the troglodyte dies. None of my dwarves are injured.
Stodir the fisherdwarf goes to give water to wounded Shem.
Unfortunately there is no water around here. Seems like Shem won't make it after all.
Meanwhile the troglodyte corpses start rotting:
Our brave military/fisher dwarf is left dying in a goblin graveyard, choking on the smell of her fallen enemies. A fitting end.

After some time watching my dwarves haul wood back to the tower and periodically trying to give water to Shem only to find there is still no water around, I browse the units screen and noticed that the others sections has gone from 471 down to 470. I investigate:
A goblin mechanic has died. I received no announcements. I check the combat log:
The mechanic attacked the farmer for no reason and after 6 pages of combat logs and the farmer begging for mercy, the farmer finally manages to kill his assailant.

The demons are still trying to break that hatch cover.

My militia commander picks up his pick and goes back to digging marble while I schedule the construction of the mason's, Craftsdwarf's workshop and of course the still, We have been relying on the booze we brought from the mountain homes for a month now. We need to start producing our own. Our expedition leader takes a break from mining(like he was mining at all), and becomes a farmer. All we need now is some fertile ground.

And our first bed has been finished! While I wanted to make that bed a hospital for Shem I think it would serve better as a dormitory considering we have no water. If I locate a pool I may try to dig my way to it and save Shem but the odds are bleak.

And an old friend pays us a visit:

As he hangs out in his "walled off hallway", both the still and the mason's workshop are completed. Only the craftsdwarf's workshop is to be completed. I also need to find a fertile underground spot for farming, which appears to be the caverns. I guess I'll just have to be on the look out for troglodytes. I f only I had water!
And then it hit me! I have a river up north!
Unfortunately it's frozen. I'll just have to wait a season or two to save Shem. What a shame...
Anyway, I do not feel like redirecting the river into the chambers until I have a sizeable population. For now, caverns will do.

I tell my dwarves to build the bed north of the workshops.
Also the mason finished the last workshop.

Usbu leaves us.

A farm plot is to be made in the caverns.
A giant cave toad emerges from the dark parts of the caverns! Right next to some trees I designated for felling! Hoping it will not come to close I keep my orders the same.
The good news is that the toad went north instead of east, where my woodcutter is felling trees. The bad news is that it is headed towards my soon-to-be farm plot!
I send my military at it.
Even dying Shem answers the call.
She however, cannot move.

The militia commander passes the expedition leader as he struggles to make the farm plot.
Several meters above it started raining. Kivish is making beds in the rain.
They meet in a narrow corridor and start exchanging blows.
Edem becomes enraged after being bit in the hand.
Stodir races to battle passing the farm plot. Shem is still lying in the graveyard, eager but unable to help.

As stodir arrives she sees a horrifying sight:
Edem is horribly wounded while the toad only has bruises.
Edem hand is bitten off. Defianlty she bites the toad back.
This is not good.

Stodir is faring slightly better than Edem. She is not injured yet, But she is also doing no real damage to the toad. Only slightly better.

Our military commander has been killed! This may be our first death but I'm afraid we will soon find out it won't be our last.
Stodir is horrified by the death of her friend, but nobody else has a clue about Edem, nor about Stodir's impending doom.
She may, however, walk out of this alive.
The toad is injured all over the place while Stodir only has an bruised hand.
She keeps hitting it and dodging every attack!
Avangusil, "Lyriccopper", is the name Stodir gave to Edem's killer. It is tired so it may collapse soon.

As predicted.
And now it has been stunned! Perfect!
Crap!
Crap!
Yes!
The toad cannot stay conscious for more than 3 seconds. This is great!
After some punching, Stodir is also growing tired and all she is doing is bruising the head. I hope she caves it in before she too passes out.

As Mucustomb and her pals are breaking down the hatch cover, the room behind them starts to stink up.

Loads of new beds are being made as Usbu gives us another visit

And Stodir passed out like the monster.
On the other hand the monster woke up.

The only way to save her (if saving her is still and option), is this: In the spire lie many weapons guarded by goblins and trolls. Since Usbu has not attacked us yet I can only assume that the others will be as hospitable. I put Sodel in a squad of her own and made her go for a copper mace. Then, she will mash that dwarf-killing toad into fine paste!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2017, 01:13:50 pm »

It Lives!
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2017, 03:44:56 pm »

o The curse of open caverns!

And soon, the far worse curse of open hell!

Shame troglodytes aren't edible. I hear some demons are, though.

o Gotta remove hospital if there's no water and somebody is dehydrating.

But that won't help with the infection, I'm afraid. No river in the dark fort feels unusual, but what can you do?

o Ah, goblin morality, or lack of it. They probably had an argument.

And were probably life-long friends T.T

o Come to think of it, with so many doors - aren't the trolls smashing them?

o Oh there's the river.

o Welp, Shem was injured worse than I thought. Sucks to be her. At least graveyard is good place to die in; very efficient.

Remember, giant cave toad is the size of a bear.

But wait - why no weapons? Didn't you have a miner?

o I recall a troll healing faster than dwarves could damage it. Perhaps this is the same.

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2017, 11:39:19 am »

Here's another update!

Sodel has been given the task of avenging Edem and saving the fortress, so obviously she's hauling rocks. I disable all hauling except for item hauling and forbid the rock she's currently holding. Reluctantly, she lets go of the marble, again.

Stodir is relieved for a short while as Avangusil passes out.

What is this! Stodir is missing? So far I've lost two dwarves and one is dying, and it's only the 15th of slade! Will Dur ever see the face of justice!

The caverns have become to dangerous for my dwarves. I order them all to retreat inside.

The brrow also extends into the spire, so that Sodel can reach the weapon, just in case.

Kadol goes to plant seeds, even though the farm plot is offlimits and he is not our farmer. At this point I open dwarf therapist to see what jobs my dwarves have enabled. I then set the jobs how I like them. Kadol is no longer our farmer.

Shem has found her way back in to the fort! She may live after all! Water hauling is now enabled on all my dwarves.
Speaking of which:
The river is flowing again! I just need to extend the burrow and hope the goblins won't notice a dwarf getting the water. Judging by the way they responded so far, they will probably leave us alone.
Kadol lets go of his plump helmet spawn and embarks to save Shem.
Sodel goes to take her to the bed.

Kadol still couldn't get to the water. Apparently, he couldn't get to the water without stepping outside of the burrow. So I order a ramp built so he doesn't have to. Kivish the woodworker picks up a block of marble and goes to build the ramp.
Astesh decides to give Shem water, but since the ramp hasn't been built yet, he probably won't succeed.
Sodel picks Shem up. What a great friend! Caring so much about her that when everything looked so bleak, and everyone thought she wouldn't make it, Sodel helped her! So heartwarming!
Sodel dumps Shem beside the bed and walks away. Well, at least she dumped her in the hospital zone...

Okay, it's time to get our fortress back into shape.
First, Astesh becomes a miner. He will be mining marble until we get a few barrels and free the caverns so that we can to make drinks. We have about 50 drinks left. That will be more than enough.
Second, we make barrels. So that we don't have to do it later. We have a lot of free time on our hands anyway.
Everyone else is busy so we have no third.

Unfortunately we have no picks, so Astesh will be idling.
And since Kivish is constructing the ramp, we have no one to make barrels so Kadol gets carpentry enabled.
Dammit. It's to dangerous to go to the caverns with Avangusil lurking around so I'll have to postpone making barrels.

Wow, we did have picks! Astesh will not be idling.

Cursed dust! But Kivish is outside!
It appeared  near the northwestern tower, west of the spire. Hopefully it's far away from us. Though I'm still curious about what it does. Maybe it will get to the goblins on top of the tower.
A troll comes out of the spire as the dust spreads. Perhaps out of curiosity? Is it new to the trolls as it is to the dwarves?
No, actually the troll avoids it, and some other trolls come out and start running in the other direction. One, however is dangerously close to the cloud.
What a lucky bastard! he is standing one tile away from the cloud and it is still not touching him!
A beak dog is covered in dust but nothing is happening to him. At least we know it's not thralling dust.
Kadol has finished the ramp! Now someone can get the water. The cursed dust may reach the river before my dwarves do, bu that's a risk I have to take. since we know it is thralling we can get the water without fearing immediate consequences.

The expedition leader is the one who will save his subordinate.

The dust does do something. The troll is having a fever, though nothing lethal. The beak dog is also okay, just having a mild fever.
Kivishis hanging outside as the dust creeps in.

I don't understand. The burrow has been designed perfectly! At this point I just removed Astesh fro the burrow.
And naturaly, he decides to make a bed. So I remove Kadol from the burrow too. Since I don't want dwarves hanging around outside while the dust is around I remove the part of the burrow that covers the river.
Which is when I realize that the river has no down slopes and the dwarves can't reach it. So I order Astesh to drop the bed and make some down slopes!
The dust approaches our tower and Astesh is still hauling the bed even though he has no furniture hauling and the bed is forbidden.

Kadol goes to give water to Shem but...

After dumping the forbidden bed at the construciton site (and not completing it), he goes eating.
Kadol too goes eating and walks straight into the dust. He gets a fever.

Astesh does the same thing except he completely avoids the dust. A cat right next to him did get the fever though.
Kivish also goes eating. Wonder how that will turn out.
Astesh is eating his plump helmet on his chair in the tower, gloating.
Kivish manages to grab a snack without going feverish, since the mist has receded.

After a long rain, lasting about a week (15th slate - 21st slate), the weather has finally cleared.

After finishing his snack, Astesh takes a drink.

This is apparently consumption season since everyone is going for a meal or a drink, except, of course, Shem!
Also, since Kadol has been stricken by a fever, he will be resting and in need of water too.

My healthy dwarves are sitting outside the tower and enjoying their drink. The mist has receded, thankfully.

Oh no. Avangusil is on the farm plot. I'll just hope it doesn't decide to walk into the tower.
It is going for the stairs!
NO!

There is only one way to deal with this menace!

As Avangusil arrives, so does Usbu. Maybe he''ll help us? We have to try...

I lock all the doors so that Usbu can't go to his hallway. Oh, and by the way, Kadol came into Shem's hospital and sat on her bed while she 's still struggling on the floor. Yep.

Sodel engages Avangusil.

Sodel didn't take her mace! Usbu is our only hope!

Sodel Punches the toad in the guts. She may actually save the fortress.

When Usbu sees the door is locked, he turns back.

Astesh actually managed to sneak behind Avangusil, and is now planting seeds! And the only damage he has are to bruised lungs, Which happened due to alcohol not toads. Two lungs? Um, crap.

Sodel is thrown down the pit. If Avangusil follows it may see Astesh and will go unnoticed by Usbu! So kivish has been selected to keep Avangusil's company.
That fall hurt Sodel pretty bad.
Usbu steps down into the graveyard.
And walks away. Now it's up to my dwarves to save the fortress.

Another cool thing that happened is that when Sodel fell she actually grabbed the wall and remained hanging until she climbed up. I didn't take any screenshots, though, so you'll have to take my word for it.

She then bruises one of it's lungs.

She knocks it unconscious!
For some reason, probably the burrow, Kivish takes the long way around and one of those graveyards to the south are revealed.

And Avangusil woke up.
It doesn't remain awake for long.

Kivish approaches the toad.

After and hour of beating the toad, it wakes up.

And now Sodel dies too.

The future of Cagithoddom remains to be seen, in the next update.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2017, 09:56:55 am »

o Invade goblin capital....hold on, friendly goblins? - and quickly lose dwarves anyway to local wildlife.

Well, I suppose I've kinda wondered what happens if you let dwarves freely into caverns. It's interesting at least, I suppose.

o Good helping, but I wonder how long the friendships are going to last, with probable infections.

o No picks? Hm...Goblins might have some in their stockpiles supposedly, though they never send their miners to war.

It's also dangerous to wait, what's with the demon pack going up through the spire.

o Not thralling dust? Hm, not sure how to feel about that.

Thralling dust would get you a civil war, but those goblins would also come after you.

o Some dusts are dissapointingly ineffectual. It's pretty random. I guess.

Heh, yeah, hauling gets to be "gotta finish it". Annoying to see.

o Uh oh. Cursed food?

That's.....Really nasty.

o Still no weapons? Ah well...

Sucks to be Sodel. Though she may have got climbing exp in that fall, perhaps. Could check with manipulator.

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2017, 11:45:15 am »

Good helping, but I wonder how long the friendships are going to last, with probable infections.

Yeah, I was actually trying to make a sarcastic joke. Screw internet and its lack of intonation.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2017, 03:44:16 pm »

Hoo boy.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 2 [3]