Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I noticed a TOOL_USE tag in a raw file. What's a tool in this context?  (Read 534 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you look at the default raw file for a minecart on the DF wiki, there is this line:
Code: [Select]
[TOOL_USE:TRACK_CART]I can only suppose that there's a correspondent [TOOL] or something somewhere, but I'm too lazy to check. What is a tool?

EDIT: I'm interested in how minecart mechanics is implemented, which is why I'm looking at this. If someone else can explain how to mod an object that moves like a minecart (but isn't a creature), I'd be much obliged.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:12:48 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I noticed a TOOL_USE tag in a raw file. What's a tool in this context?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:46:12 am »

Tools are a kind of object, if you open up your RAW's you can find a word document called "item_tool" with all the tools & functions on it.

Most tools are for adventure mode/worldgen site functions (cauldrons, bowls & ladles good examples) but the rest of them are just usual stuff you use in fortress mode (pots, stepladders, jugs etc.)

The ability to set new tools stretches only as far as their tokens, found here on the DFwiki, generally talking about what it can be made out of, whether it is a weapon (used in item_weapons) and a list of the working functions it can have.