Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is Malachite poisonous  (Read 1594 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Is Malachite poisonous
« on: February 06, 2017, 02:03:29 pm »

Slightly off-topic, but when I see Malachite I always think of DF. Viral post is viral. Is Malachite poisonous?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is Malachite poisonous
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 02:17:30 pm »

Yes. If you eat enough malachite, you will die a pretty gruesome death.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 04:54:06 pm »

In dwarf fortress terms, no, there is no syndrome attached to the stone, the material its made of, or the copper you get from smelting it. Your dwarves will be fine.

In reality, you shouldnt ingest or inhale any sort of heavy metals, but it's not skin soluble, so I figure if you coat it in an equally safe and non-toxic (and erosion resistant) plastic varnish or something you dont have to worry about your magical rust dildo.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 12:46:48 am »

Cinnabar and pitchblende would be more dangerous than Malachite.

Cinnabar would release toxic mercury vapor into the air, which being a mine, means the air in the fortress will become saturated with it quickly.

Pitchblende may or may not be highly radioactive, depending on how recently (in geological terms) the mineral was extruded into the surrounding strata. 

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 08:27:51 am »

Cinnabar would release toxic mercury vapor into the air, which being a mine, means the air in the fortress will become saturated with it quickly.
I'm reminded of the time when I built the road to my fortress out of cinnabar. It was before I knew what cinnabar was.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 08:31:26 am »

Nonsense, Cinnabar is a delightful chocolate-coated confection.