Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project Automata - alpha demo available - TTD fans this is one to watch  (Read 3004 times)

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The blurb:

"Jump into the shoes of an early 20th-century industrialist, start your own industrial revolution, and build a financial empire to rival any in history.

Project Automata is an industrial tycoon simulation game with an advanced A.I. driven economy that will challenge and surprise players at every turn. Every town has it’s own mayor and council that makes autonomous decisions and constantly changes the economic landscape, which creates a living, breathing world. Combined with procedurally generated maps, no two games are ever the same. If that’s not enough, we are also planning unique scenarios and a story rich campaign.

Our dedicated and hardworking development team has spent over a year slaving away at their keyboards to bring us this beautifully hand-crafted, genre-blending game that combines the best of real-time-strategy with a sophisticated industrial simulation. The wonderful and whimsical art style combined with the beautiful musical scores will keep you engaged and playing for hundreds, if not thousands of hours."

Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZzE6NCxfCs

Sabouts started an LP of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQux_zYmGWs

Lead Dev Q&A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5IgaNpX9r4

Kickstarter is coming in October and this looks pretty cool if you like games like Transport Tycoon etc.

The demo is available from the main page linked below.

http://www.projectautomata.com/
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:59:18 am by Intrinsic »
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Project Automata - in alpha atm, demo available
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 06:19:50 am »

Looks nice. I like the aesthetic. Gameplay is pretty rough, but its pre-alpha so that's to be expected. I had some fun making a production chain and will look up the kickstarter when it comes along. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 07:29:27 am »

Yep, thanks for sharing. It definitely looks like an interesting game to fund. I'll try the demo when I'll be home.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:11:40 am »

ptw, definitely will try the demo.

Industry giant 1 was one of my favorite games of all time, complex and yet accessible (as opposed to capitalism and industry giant II which were gritty and overloaded with details)

edit:

so I played the demo a bit. definitely has potential, but - at three factory the game had massive pathing stutters, and yet truck often just lol noped and went driving on fields.

the interface is nice, but it's a little contrived to know which building has gatherer to build and which don't - even if it's logical guess whose and why, them not being grouped or sharing a very similar interface doesn't help at all

traffic is not an issue in the demo, idk how I feel about that. for one having to build stations efficiently is usually a big part of these kind of games, on the other hand I can see how, with a more complex industry chain, having a lighter version of routing could help

I liked how cities act as a dump for all leftovers, I'd like to see the ability of buying stuff from there as well, something like offworld trading company does. on the other hand having shops and competing for prime spot in cityes is another interesting mechanic and I hope it won't get ignored.

on the production side, having factories connected by truck makes hard to know which one runs at capacity, which one to expand and which one to wind down. it seems production cycles last the same across factories, but full gatherers stop production, which makes needlessly hard to tune production - it'd be nice to have over produced items going to town market by default so you don't get crippled by maintenance

also, just my .2: while I get the realism factor in having food factory produces dough required by themselves for pies and burghers, it'd be quite clearer to have factory tiers clearly divided in tiers.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 12:29:54 pm by LoSboccacc »

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Project Automata - alpha demo available - TTD fans this is one to watch
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 04:01:43 am »

http://www.projectautomata.com/1166/winds-of-change/

A bunch of changes coming to the game, dunno if that'll mean an updated demo but it sounds like it from what they are saying.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 06:37:53 pm »

Very interesting Game! (I know, necromancy... don't yell at me, I took a peak and I liked it :D)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 06:50:03 pm »

Unrelated to this game (ok related... but this isn't a suggestion)

But wouldn't it be interesting if you played one of these games and you eventually did hit the "Doomsday" wall... but instead of the game ending you just go through this period of you basically dooming the world...

Only for later on you to get the technology to change and reverse it... THEN sell it to the highest bidder!