Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: (SG) Sawbones: Adventures of a High Fantasy Surgeon Mage  (Read 5565 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Sawbones: Adventures of a High Fantasy Surgeon Mage
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2017, 11:09:25 am »

Just gonna bump this. I'd like to do an update today. I'm going to be very busy this coming week, so this is likely my last chance to write until Saturday.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2017, 03:30:21 pm »

Lets stay. Gnar and Hershel should be able to protect us. Especially now that the centaurs know we're well protected and working with them. Send the ogres off with lots of memories.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2017, 05:03:53 pm »

PTW!
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2017, 06:26:24 pm »

Stay, with a focus on amassing more memories.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2017, 09:27:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Inventory:
Magic Talents:

You decide to stick around town until Gallopsparks is healthy enough to leave with you, so you send the smith and company home with 24 memories, keeping a combined 10 fear and discovery memories for yourself. You, Hershel, and Gnar enjoy a leisurely breakfast, before heading to the market intent on finding new memories and following up with some of the vendors you have visited before.

The Kitsune, sadly have packed up and left, but the female centaur selling bugs is still in business and has expanded her stock; In addition to the snow mantis, she is also peddling a single crimson and blue striped dragonfly the size of a large hawk. "Dis one is a real gem. Called a hunter's dart. Smarter than most dogs it is, and used as a hunting animal, war beast, messenger, and beast of burden by some of the smaller fey folk. Falconry is kinna popular amoung the human lasses, right? This bugger will catch more than any falcon... I think it would take a Falcon to. This fellow here be named 'Tonic', and is already trained ta hunt, so he goes for a pretty penny. Four memory chips in mage money, but I'll throw in a lesson on how ta command and take care o' him."

As you pass the stand selling Crossbows and bolts, you are once again flagged down by Stripe, the friendly Zebra patterned Centaur. You wind up losing fifteen minutes chatting with him and entertaining his flirtations, but in the end you get something out of it. "So, umm, Lassie, check this out. The local hunter's guild is having a shindig tanight, and it is gonna be nuts. Yazwheat caught a fecking Manticore alive, n' Barely is gonna fight it! I think th' guild master is going ta be bringing that Dryad lass who is also a mage as well, so I'd bet ya can have sum interesting magic talk with her. Its an exclusive event, Guild Members only, but I can bring a mare, so ya could be my date if you want."

On the one hand, going to a Centaur party where your guard would not be allowed is the very definition of bad idea, but on the other hand, you would at the very least get memories for meeting a Dryad and a Manticore for the first time, and likely even more than that.

+Flattering Memory x2

Wrapping up with the familiar, you turn your attention to the merchants who have shown up since your last visit to market and quickly find a young female bone dwarf peddling books. Sizing her up, you get the hunch her goods may be stolen; If bone dwarf culture is anything like that of the dwarves from your part of the world, nobody her age would be allowed the prestigious duties of a legitimate merchant, and she clearly has no business owning some of the items in her possession.

Still, plausible deniability exists, so you introduce yourself and ask to check out the merchandise. Most of the books for sale are in languages you do not understand, but many of those you can read seem to be offered at a very good price... perhaps because the merchant can't read them herself.

Useful/Interesting Books for Sale:

Some of the merchandise is of particular interest to you. The Royal Arts is one of the most sought after spellbooks in circulation, and would sell to the right buyer for more than 20 times what the dwarf is asking for it. It was written by the second king of Fenwick to teach his grown children, and contains powerful spells that few outside the royal family know. All the spell contained within are said to be advanced, and many schools of magic are represented, so there is a chance that you might be able to actually learn from The Royal Arts.

The Progenitor Tome is the sacred text of your religion, and depending on the academy you try to get Hershel into, he may be expected to memorize particular key passages for an admissions test. Likewise Acts of the Bonefather is relates to the worship of Horgole, god of Ogres, Bone Dwarves, and other beings tied to brutality and/or wild magic. Most Horgole worshipers believe their diety is tied to the Progenitor Havarra, the founder of surgical magic.

Journeymage Mage Dritt of Fenwick is a friend of your brother Clancy. A lowborn who was admitted to and graduated Saint Rukka's Academy for the Training of Mercenary Battlemages, he initially accompanied your brother your brother to Terminal Woods as a bodyguard, before falling in love with a member of the local clergy and running off on his own. The fact that he has been separated from his spellbook bodes poorly for Dritt's survival.

You could eventually learn an entirely new school of magic from the first year student's tomb, but carrying it is risky. For a mage to carry the educational materials of an academy he or she is not affiliated with is a high heresy punishable by death in most places.

The Cipher Scrolls of Quizroulan, an ancient trickster god whom predates the progenitors, are highly sought after by educated people seeking a challenge. In Fenwick, only one or two people a generation manage to solve one, and those that do often receive powerful boons from the poorly understood god. You could sell the scrolls, especially the clean one, to the right buyer for a far higher price than you might pay for them. You suppose the scrolls that have been tampered with might contain insight to their possible solution from a previous owner...

It is still only mid morning. If you hang around the market place, it is entirely possible that more merchants of interest might show up, but the rest of the town and the surrounding countryside beckon as well...

How do you proceed?

---

Quoting the list of town attractions for reference:
Gnar, who has been assigned to be your personal bodyguard while in Centaur territory, offers some suggestions as to what you might do in town. Dashing Winds is famous for its taverns, and Gnar has been to most of them. The Leaping Hare is where the wealthy and powerful members of the herd gather at night, while common centaurs gather for cheaper drinks at Unbridled Passion. The town's human population frequents a joint called Shuffler's Club, and strange fey beings gather at the Blackbeetle Tavern.

Town center is home to a livestock auction twice a day, at noon and sundown, while just north of the auction house is the racing grounds where people go to gamble on centaur races, horse races, and jousting matches featuring both centaurs and horse riders.

Gnar warns against the town market, advising that all the merchants there overcharge, but you get the feeling that sellers wouldn't attempt to exploit a mage in the same way they would exploit a big dumb ogre. When pressed, Gnar confesses that some interesting people and goods can be found there, oftentimes even mages from the Fey-run academies further to the east, including those from the school Dunn attended.

Lastly Gnar suggests visiting the home of Purist Shatteredankle, the ambassador from the Bone Dwarves of Sno-Skull to the Blackhoof Centaurs. The Bone Dwarves, Gnar explains, are friends and trade partners to the colony, and ambassador Shatteredankle is an expert on wild magic, who may be able to explain why Smut-Luck's attempt to read the fate of your brother went so long.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:43:27 pm by Weirdsound »

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2017, 10:54:11 am »

So, we have twelve memories total now.

I'm thinking we get the dragonfly. Seems useful, and we'd probably get a few memories back from the lesson.

The royal arts spellbook looks nice as well, although I'm not sure I'd get any of the other spellbooks. Dritt's seems like it might be of questionable utility, and the student's tome is definitely more trouble than it's worth.

Getting two of the cipher scrolls (let's say the clean one and one marked one) could turn a good profit.

Grab the cheaper copy of the Progenitor Tome, but only if Hershel couldn't use a copy from a library or something.

---

Afterwards, let's visit the bone dwarf ambassador. Keep the presumably-stolen books safely out of sight, though.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2017, 09:17:28 pm »

Yes to all of that. But also go on the date, but only if our ogre friend will guard nearby.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2017, 02:25:29 pm »

Inventory:
Magic Talents:

You purchase Tonic the Hunter's Dart Dragonfly, and as agreed the old centaur leads you out to a field just outside of town to give you a lesson. Unlike the falcons highborn girls keep back in Fenwick, giant dragonflies do not require protective gloves to handle as their feet are not their primary weapon. Your instructor first teaches you how to play with, wash, and feed the beast, as well as how to allow it to perch on your head or shoulder. She explains that Hunter's Dart Dragonflies are active at dawn and dusk in the wild, so until the beast is used to you and trusts you to provide its food, it is recommended that you keep an eye on it at those times, lest it wander off to hunt on its own. Otherwise it will typically conserve energy and stay wherever you leave it.

Next she teaches you the 'hover', 'roam', 'land', 'ready' and 'return' commands, which are all simple words spoken in a fey language. She explains that when 'roam'ing, Tonic will go after any prey that it thinks it can take without wandering too far from its master. She warns you to keep an eye out for Falcons while flying the bug, because although Tonic could easily kill one in a straight fight, a falcon in turn could kill your new pet by getting above it and divebombing to knock it out of the sky in one strike.

Lastly she hands you a pouch of five blunted throwing darts painted a bright crimson. "While Tonic is under the ready' command, you throw darts in ta direction of the thing you want it to kill," the merchant explains, "and if you would rather use another projectile, like a crossbow bolt, just paint it a bright red and the bug should be well smart enough to know it means the same ting as a dart."

-4 Memories
+Blunted Dragonfly Dart x5
+New Pet: Tonic the Hunter's Dart Dragonfly
+Pride Memory x2
+Discovery Memory x2

From the book merchant, you wind up purchasing the copy of The Royal Arts, two Quizroulan Cipher Scrolls, and the cheaper copy of The Progenitor Tomb. You give the latter item to Hershel, but quickly glance over the other texts for yourself.

The Marked Scroll is an artfully drawn portrait of a large dragon with a massive gaping maw. Inside this mouth is a 15x15 Block of characters, most of which are not from any language you understand. The scroll is marked in many places with cheap ink, forming text which is tough to understand; The languages used are based on elfish and human, and you understand both, but the handwriting is poor and in some sort of shorthand that combines both languages in dizzying fashion. In the end, you are only confident about the meaning of two of the notes. The first advises that the missing scales on the dragon's tail might be a messing in Lightning Binary, a visual language 'spoken' by bio-luminescent beings. The second legible clue is the first sentence of a short paragraph, which reads "showed scroll to Explorers Guild RE: Possibility that background is actually the view from one of the Dragon's Maw Mountains." Perhaps if you devoted some time to the scroll, you might be able to unravel more of its previous owner's hints.

The unmarked scroll is another beautiful piece of art, this time a diagram depicting the inner workings of a lock with parts labeled using characters you believe are derived from demonic runes. The border of the image appears to be a stretched out pentagram with seemingly random human characters contained within the triangle. You know such shapes are used by any magical practitioner who seeks to commune with other realms.

Lastly you leaf through The Royal Arts, and confirm that the two learnable spells you have heard are contained within its pages are indeed present. They are easy to find, as the tome contains a table of contents. It might be wise to devote some time to giving the book a closer read, to see if any of its other spells match up with your needs and skill sets.

Spells Available from The Royal Arts:

You can't help but be thrilled about picking up such a powerful spellbook at such a low price, even as you feel terrible about purchasing stolen goods.

-8 Memories
+Copper Bound Copy of the Progenitor Tome (Given to Hershel)
+Silver Bound Copy of The Royal Arts
+Quizroulan Cipher Scroll (Clean)
+Quizroulan Cipher Scroll (Marked)
+Pride Memory x2
+Shameful Memory x2

Having finished your shopping, you once more pay a visit to Ambassador Purist Shatteredankle, who happily receives you for lunch. The conversation is awkward, as you are too proud to admit that you have forgotten much of your previous meeting on account of a would-be Centaur date-rapist, but you do manage to piece together some of what you failed to retain earlier.

Apparently the Bone Dwarf Government has little interest in meddling in human affairs; They view mankind as subjects of the Blackhoof Herd (whom they respect as a local power) and game for the Ogres (whom they consider brothers and sisters in faith). The humans that Bone Dwarves do trade with reside in the inland regions of Terminal Woods and send their caravans via the Dread Road, completely bypassing raider territory.

Purist, however, has lived in town for the better part of a decade. Having personally witnessed the rise of Cyrus, the ambassador admits that the slaver-lord offends him to the core. Although you can't figure out how to get the dwarf to give you specifics without risking what you wish to keep secret, you deduce that at your request he has written to the leaders of some of Snow-Skulls mercenary elements, explaining that there may be contracts to be had at Treasurecaves.

The ambassador, apparently, also has written to some of his young kinsfolk who may be looking to accomplish mighty deeds to attract the attention of the various Knightly and Spiritual orders within Bone Dwarf society.

After allowing you to try and pick away fragments of your previous discussion for some time, Purist abruptly turns the conversation to you. "Last time, you told me you come from one of Fenwick's high houses. I know a mage would never be addressed by any title other than her Magely Rank, so I'm curious, do you have titles or land?"

Pretty sure that you are dealing with yet another forigner attempting to marry a kid into Fenwick nobility, you decide that the truth is likely the best way to discourage that train of thought. "I have a good number of older sibblings," you explain, "so I didn't inherit much. I am Landlady of Verdant Tower, which is a residence hall on the Campus of The Wiffleton Academy of the Natural Magics, but all I get from that is a modest yearly payment for its use and an apartment there I can only legally reside in if I earn the title of High Mage."

"I am also owner and portmaster of two docks at the harbor of Illstead, a city-state south of Fenwick where my maternal grandfather was brother of the king." you continue, "Again, all I get from that is some money twice a year. If I ever owned a ship, I suppose I could commission it under the Illstead Flag without the usual taxes and paperwork."

"Not much," the dwarf admits, "but you are still a landed noble. Under human law, that means you can take on vassals, correct?"

You blink. Vassals? "Where are you going with this?"

"I think you might be able to help me with something..."

Purist explains that he would like you to take on the service of his youngest daughter, Femuri, who is a soldier by trade. He explains that two years ago, Purist arranged for her to marry a wealthy widower, but shortly after the wedding she was caught in bed with her new step-daughter. The Ambassador explains that infidelity, homosexuality, and incest are all capital crimes in Bone Dwarf society.

"The legal bureaucracy that one must jump through to prosecute a highborn will protect my daughter for some time, but eventually she will be exposed and either executed or banished. There is a loophole we can use to save her, however: To avoid diplomatic incidents, those bound to a foreign power by marriage or servitude and residing away from Snow Skull cannot be tried for serious crimes."

You wouldn't mind having a Champion at your beck and call, so you inquire about the girl's skills and abilities in more depth. Femuri is trained to fight with boomerangs and bladed chains while mounted upon a riding rat or blood bunny. Most of her weapons are enchanted in some way, including an ancient bladed boomerang carved from the metallic knucklebone of a Titanic Iron Troll. This artifact, Femuri's only real inheritance, is enchanted to return to thrower, cut through almost anything, and generate explosions on impact with structures made by mortal hands. She dosn't wear armor into battle, but as a Bone Dwarf she dosn't have to; Her kind can slowly recover from almost any injury, and can only truly be killed by old age, disease, some magics, and/or complete incineration of the skeleton.

In addition to her combat skills, Femuri has some experience in metal work, whittling, the protocol and ediquite of dwarfish high society, and the lore of the alpine and subterranean plants, animals, and Fungi near Snow Skull.

+Pride Memory x4
+Flattering Memory x2

---

By the time you finish your meeting with Purist, evening has fallen. Now would be the time to seek out Stripe if you wish to attend the Hunter's Guild Party. Your new Dragonfly Tonic seems anxious... you were told this is the time of day his kind likes to search for food, so perhaps you could skip the shindig and bond with your new pet over some hunting of your own. A trip to the racetrack or a cozy night in with your books also sound appealing...

How do you proceed?

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2017, 05:37:20 pm »

Hrm. Check our memory to find out if there are any real downsides to having a vassal?

You know, beyond what they do affecting us.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2017, 10:08:14 pm »

If Femuri had land, you would be expected to help her defend, improve, and maintain it, but a landless Vassal is a pretty low risk endeavor. If you ever were to come into possession of more land than you might be able to administer yourself, you would be expected to leave some of it in her charge. If she were to die in your service you would be expected to fund her funeral, but aside from that, you would have few obligations to your new underling.

A Vassal who behaves poorly can bring shame upon his or her master, but the offense Femuri stands accused of is no big deal in Fenwick, where gay relationships are acceptable under some circumstances and the king is currently wed to his own half sister. The infidelity aspect of her crimes could be an issue, but you doubt rumors of such would follow Femuri across the sea. You suppose the young fighter could have undesirable personality traits her father failed to mention, but such is the risk you would take in agreeing to take on a vassal before meeting her.

On the other hand, you don't know the social values of Terminal Woods, and you could spend quite some time in that country searching for Clancy. There could be trouble if you take Femuri on and she dosn't fit in there.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2017, 10:31:50 pm »

Funny, our cancer spell is one of the few that could probably kill a bone dwarf with little effort.

I say go for it, what is life without some complications, and having a bad-ass almost invulnerable warrior on our side is a good complication.

Those spells are awful in terms of cost to learn, how "royal" is our blood and could marrying someone help that?

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2017, 10:57:22 pm »

I'm thinking we should spend time with Tonic. We've no real shortage of memories (in fact, we had a net gain of two last turn), so it's probably a better idea to generate a few while hunting and bonding with our pet rather than more in an extremely unsafe environment.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2017, 02:25:04 am »

Agreed, last time we partied with centaurs we couldn't remember it all. Let's bond with our big bug.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]