Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The War of Succession: Post-Elizabethan Bloodshed  (Read 987 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The War of Succession: Post-Elizabethan Bloodshed
« on: February 04, 2017, 05:21:12 pm »

The year is 2017. After having her arse pinched by Donald Trump at a state dinner, Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II. had a heart attack and died on the spot.

Who will succeed her?

There will be three royal factions: Charlites, Williamen, and Harryers. Additionally there will be various non-royal factions: The City of London independence movement, Irish nationalists, a few Republicans, etc etc. Every player should pick a faction and list the resources (cities, celebrities, military units, etc) at his disposal, giving reasons why it is plausible that said resources should fall to his faction.
From there on we will play a sort of roll-to-dodge. I'll figure out the details later.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The War of Succession: Post-Elizabethan Bloodshed
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 05:27:11 pm »

Merkel for marries Charles, and becomes Queen, EU joins Britain to form the United Empire.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 05:28:41 pm »

You can have the invading EU faction if you like...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 05:40:22 pm »

I don't think the EU should be a single faction if you were to include them. The relations between the UK and the various member states are too vastly different.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 05:48:49 pm »

Merkel for marries Charles, and becomes Queen, EU joins Britain to form the United Empire.

That's not how royalty works, the spouse of the King/Queen isn't the Queen/King but the Royal Consort. United Empire of Europe has a nice ring to it though :)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 05:51:40 pm »

I don't think the EU should be a single faction if you were to include them. The relations between the UK and the various member states are too vastly different.
Claim one you like then. I'm not doing research here - I want each player to carve out their own faction, not give him a prefabricated mold.
The Bay12 postcard club

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 06:02:22 pm »

That's not how royalty works, the spouse of the King/Queen isn't the Queen/King but the Royal Consort. United Empire of Europe has a nice ring to it though :)
Not quite true. It wouldn't be the first time for the UK. They had a Dutch King, William III. He was a son of the Dutch Stadholder Willem II, and Princess Royal Mary, daughter of the English King Charles I. William III married his cousin, also Mary, daughter of his maternal uncle, James, Duke of York. While his wife preceded him in line of succession to the throne, it was William who became King, instead of Consort. Despite a majority of Tory Lords proposing to acclaim her as sole ruler. She refused, loyal to her husband. That too, wasn't the first time.
in the 16th century, Philip of Spain married Queen Mary I, and ruled as King beside her, but only during her lifetime, and with restrictions placed on his power.
William III's rule went on beyond his wife's death.

Look at Merkel. Then look at Charles. Who do you think wears the pants?

EDIT to add confusion: William III is also William II (of Scotland)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 06:05:34 pm by martinuzz »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 06:29:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 06:58:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
At least he's wearing it the right way round.

Looks like he's even got a sgian dubh :o dirty bastard is appropriating my culture.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.