Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make woodcutters pick up an axe?  (Read 3174 times)

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make woodcutters pick up an axe?
« on: December 09, 2016, 03:11:44 pm »

Hey everyone, I'm well versed in DF in general and decided to pick the game back uo again after a while.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, I might just be dumb somehow.

I started a new 'no points on embark' playthrough and made a wooden training axe from my starting wood. The problem is that none of my woodcutters pick up the axe to start work with it. I have the Lazy Newb pack on and at first assigned the labour through Therapist. After they still refused I turned it off and on manually multiple times, through the game itself and Therapist both. The axe isn't forbidden and I've designated multiple trees for cutting... So... What's going on? Is there anything I can do to start things up? Did I forget anything? I'd really like to get back into the game, but this isn't the best start ever...

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make woodcutters pick up an axe?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 03:36:58 pm »

Just to check the obvious, but your woodcutters actually have the woodcutting skill enabled, yes? (I would think that they should, but doesn't hurt to check the easy ones first)

Beyond that, off the top of my head, the trees could be inaccessible, or the axe could be inaccessible (less likely if one of your dwarfs just crafted it). Are the woodcutters maybe busy with something else, like hauling? (At my fortress starts I generally turn off hauling for about half my dwarfs - the stonecrafter, woodcrafter, and anyone with a mining job enabled, pretty much.)

Those are the first things I can think of, although I'm sure there are many others.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 03:41:08 pm »

Just to check the obvious, but your woodcutters actually have the woodcutting skill enabled, yes? (I would think that they should, but doesn't hurt to check the easy ones first)

Beyond that, off the top of my head, the trees could be inaccessible, or the axe could be inaccessible (less likely if one of your dwarfs just crafted it). Are the woodcutters maybe busy with something else, like hauling? (At my fortress starts I generally turn off hauling for about half my dwarfs - the stonecrafter, woodcrafter, and anyone with a mining job enabled, pretty much.)

Those are the first things I can think of, although I'm sure there are many others.

Skill is enabled on all my dwarves, axe and trees are accessible and all my dwarves are idle at the moment (since I started with no items, there's not much to do in my fort)

So, thanks a bunch for the input, but sadly, those don't seem to be my problem.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 03:44:38 pm »

Ah hah, according to the bug fixes page here:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html#2016-05-22

... using training axes to chop trees was a bug (since they don't have an edge presumably), and has since been fixed. So I guess you'd need to start with a regular axe or all the material to make one.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 03:47:26 pm »

Ah hah, according to the bug fixes page here:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/index.html#2016-05-22

... using training axes to chop trees was a bug (since they don't have an edge presumably), and has since been fixed. So I guess you'd need to start with a regular axe or all the material to make one.

Ah. Thanks a bunch. I actually checked the item description and it specifically said training axes could be used to chop trees. Guess the text should be updated then.

In any case, looks like it's back to the drawing board then for this start.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 05:40:17 pm »

Well, you did bring picks, didn't you? You can take it as a challenge and make do with rock until a caravan comes along, or goblins decide to donate some weapons grade metal, or even melt a pick and make an axe (just check the wiki on melting yields and # bars used to verify you can actually make an axe out of it first).
If you're on an aquifer in flat terrain it can be a rather boring wait, though...

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 07:25:35 pm »

Yeah, and hopefully you embarked with enough extra wood to make some charcoal to do the melting/smelting/forging/whatever. :3 Or else lucked out and ran into some of the natural types.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 04:52:22 am »

You don't need wood for smelting/forging. Just go for the magma (that's what I do, anyway).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 04:37:01 am »

'no points on embark'
I think they didn't bring picks.

That said, can always designate a tavern and hope a merc shows up with axe :v. Still wasted one of the necessary materials for depot, however.

If you're on volcano, you could try to lure out fire men or magma men with...iunno, hanging workshop? As they drop ash/obsidian on defeat.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 04:38:38 am by Fleeting Frames »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 06:10:48 am »

Hm, yes, sloppy reading on my part.

You can enable Starting Labors and hope a migrant brings an axe or pick.

With enough migrants you'll get strange moods that may eventually result in a bone pick (and a lot of deaths due to failure to provide metal bars, wood, and rock [blocks]). Hm, that path will probably result in the fortress dying at the hand of ghosts.