Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uses for magma?  (Read 2015 times)

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uses for magma?
« on: November 24, 2016, 06:45:37 pm »

Right folks, I am building my current fortress as a huge above-ground construction with built-in magma plumbing (and water too). This requires a great deal of planning, since later alterations will be quite difficult and time-consuming. And one of the biggest questions is how many areas need magma...

So far I have a short list of things I might want magma for.

- Room purges, e.g. jail cells or hospital wards with dangerous inmates. Maybe magma from above + floor grates as a drain?
- Obsidian casting, both for the rock and perhaps for defence.
- Magma forges will need a supply.
- Open pools of magma might make a nice decoration, especially for appropriate temples - but this seems very !!FUN!!

Is there anything obvious/creative that I have forgotten about?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
Re: Uses for magma?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 07:03:49 pm »

Magma Landmines is a must if you have pressured magma.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0

Magma railgun, with powered minecarts...

Magma mist trap
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158373.msg7017036
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 06:33:25 am »

If it's a freezing biome, or at least winter frost you can magma-heat the plumbing
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 07:12:14 am »

You can try my dream construction (haven't managed to get around to it): Hot spring.  Tiles over magma are heated to 41C.   Add water.  Entice your dwarfs to relax in the hot water.  Probably need a waterfall to actually get them to have good thoughts about it, though....

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 02:09:25 pm »

Magma cleaning
- Around the well, the washed-off contaminants will be erased by it. Sphalerite posted a design once. Alternatively, do this in the entrance.
- Inside the cabinets: They already collect all kinds of magma-unsafe worn clothes. Remove clothes with magma (causes bad thoughts though)
- Inside the workshops: once butcher's workshop gets cluttered from useless stuff like feathers and nervous tissue, rinse it instead of haul it.

Alternatively, use a minecart/diagonal to just dump things in magma. Example from Deathgame

Regarding open pools, you can get same effect if you make the pools, build bridges above, then d-b-h the bridges. Will look like dwarves are walking on magma :)

- Magma+door: various arrangements that can boil down to "fry whoever opened/destroyed this door".

- Perhaps (decorative) magma misters? Can do this one even with a wooden minecart if you use skipping.

- Creature logic: Lot of things will not path directly into magma. You can use this for "instantly seal path on open signal" to contain them.

- Possibly sapling/camper removal.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 05:39:42 pm »

Well, if you have clay or sand, kilns and glass furnaces could be powered with magma.

I mean, free infinite green glass to decorate free infinite clay crafts with is pretty nice. I always wanted to use those industries to give something to do to my haulers, so they can at least accomplish their dreams of creating a great work of art, or create a masterwork, or mastering a skill.

Also, you may want to make a separated forging room for cheap weapon grade metal, in which you can get every dwarf some weapon or armour smithing levels and hope for some cool artifacts.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 07:58:40 pm by SebasMarolo »
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 08:00:44 am »

Clearing workshops - Does this destroy the workshop if it's not made from a magma-safe material?
Sapling clearance - Do forest fires still happen? Would it be avoidable by walling off sections of forest?

Magma waste disposal is wonderful, though, especially with minecarts. Haul waste into carts, dump into magma.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 10:59:40 am »

Magma sapling clearance is a major overkill when you can just designate a dirt road over the sapling.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 01:18:18 pm »

Yeah, I'd imagine it'd destroy the magma-unsafe workshop.

A bit more unusual and compact disposal method (can place it right on top stockpile) would be to load a minecart with magma, but only a bit of magma. Like so:

Use "Give to" link to take the completely average and not special at all stones out afterwards

Then you can put things inside minecart to be disposed of:

It's possibly more safe, as I had one dwarf fall asleep right on top of it

But as a downside, it is a looot slower and weaker. In this test, most non-wood things put inside a cart didn't take enough heat to take wear over 2 months. (even if same type of items did get some)

Overall, for most applications would recommend using "dump it into magma" instead.

rhavviepoodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 02:30:21 pm »

Any time I have a magma tube in one of my caverns, I generally set up a mass pitting room above it. It's sort of the inverse of being able to flood a jail cell, I guess, but it's pretty simple and effective.

Azereiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 11:49:22 pm »

You can utilize your magma sources to dam rivers and redirect them as necessary.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 12:36:38 pm »

Always plan a Magma drainage for your whole plumbing, it will most likely safe the dwarves collective a..es when something goes slightly to medium wrong  :)

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 06:01:22 am »

Melting ice, either for ‼FUN‼, ‼FUN‼ or just to get water.