Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma safe.  (Read 1187 times)

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma safe.
« on: November 29, 2016, 06:50:54 am »

I want a magma safe. Not the materials but an actual safe. I'm going to create a room out of magma safe materials and keep that room in a large hall filled with magma. It will rest on one or two magma safe columns to prevent thieves of any kind to dig in to it and steel whatever I want to keep there without killing them self.  A bridge will extend towards this safe surrounded by glass. Extra  measures and traps will further prevent any unwanted access.

Thoughts? Extra safety measures? An entire district where each dwelling is submerged? Hmm that last one is actually not a bad idea.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma safe.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 08:53:43 am »

:D

The death of your fortress will be a glorious one. As for safety measures, who needs safety measures? This is dwarf fortress we are talking about here. But in all seriousness, if you are going to try stuff like submerging your entire fortress in a magma tube then you might want to set up a very compartmentalized design using magma safe doors and bridges so that way if things go south you don't lose everything. Glass and obsidian are a magma engineer's best friend so I would definitely familiarize yourself with creating large amounts of one or both of these materials if you haven't already mastered this.

Best of luck.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 03:21:13 pm »

Walls don't have to be magma safe.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fox Mulder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 03:24:54 pm »

Completely submerge safe in magma and make a way to open/close it without flooding everything with magma.
I want to believe

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 04:50:29 pm »

Hatches cannot be jammed open, but they still open briefly when some idiot goes through them.

To solve this, you can use a mid-air floating door:
_D_
#▲#

Allows passage normally, but the door is never opened, which is neat for visibility, fluid, buildingdestroyer and safety applications.

If you're playing with diginvaders, you could use (soap) staircases to support the central room. Could even use their "invisible floor" feature so that there isn't purely walkable path to the underside of the fortress even without magma.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 06:26:12 pm »

A long time ago someone came up with a design for something like this (though their idea was to protect the whole fort in the event of digging enemies being introduced to the game).

The design used pressurised magma (magma doesn't normally obey pressure but it does if you put it through a screw pump) so that if anything dug in, a spray of magma would go back up their tunnel and kill the miner. I seem to recollect that it also had some means for automatically sealing any such leaks with obsidian, but I can't work out how on earth that would be done so it might just be my imagination.

If you're going to have a glass-surrounded bridge, I think you should make it out of windows for extra !!FUN!! value. Then encircle that in (usually open) floodgates linked to a pressure plate. Idea being that if any building destroyers get in they will smash the glass, get killed by magma and the pressure plates will cause the floodgates to close so that you can clear the passage again.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.