Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarves are refusing to chop wood?  (Read 2216 times)

Manivald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarves are refusing to chop wood?
« on: November 29, 2016, 11:01:22 am »

Title pretty much says it all. They all just pile on one single tile (near where the original caravan was), which is nowhere near any of the trees I told them to chop and just stand there. Doing nothing.

I used DF hack for autochop a while back and turned it off now. I restarted the game several times.

Any suggestions, please?

EDIT: yes, I have axes and they are carried by dwarves who have woodchopping as a labor. The dwarves display "fell tree" job, but only walk out to the wilderness to stand in the same location, away from all zones and trees. They all follow the same route and have worn a clay path into the grass. Only bottoms of trees are selected.

I think it might be dfHack. For some reason, autochop only counts the trees in the first cavern layer in the marked tree number. Even if I select trees (or if it selects trees) on the surface, they apparently do not count. The cavern has been walled off.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 01:06:39 am by Manivald »

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves are refusing to chop wood?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 11:40:56 am »

Do you have axes? Have you assigned Woodcutting as a labour for some dwarfs in DT (or equivalent)? Can they reach the tree area or is there a cliff or impassible water in the way?
Caselabs S8 : Intel i5-12600K / 64Gb DDR4 3600 / Asus 1080 Ti / Samsung 980PRO 1Tb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX1200i / APC SMT1500I / Windows 11

Caselabs X2M NAS 24Tb : Intel i3-8300 / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS ROG Strix H370-I / 4x WD Red 8Tb, Samsung 960PRO 1Tb / Corsair AX860i / APC SMT1000I / unRAID Plus 6.11.5

hagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 11:50:29 am »

Wooden training axes no longer chop wood - something that was fixed in one of the 43.XX releases. Could be something to do with that?

I know I spend about half an hour trying to work out why no wood was getting chopped recently for exactly that reason.

Manivald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 01:41:20 pm »

I have axes, both several copper ones and one iron (I even made many more in the beginning). And they have jobs activated, the labor list says "Fell tree", they all just walk out of the fort and stand in the same spot. It looks lime they have even worn a clay path into the grass.

The fortress is nearing the end of second year, woodcutting worked perfectly fine until then

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 03:33:52 pm »

Did some of your military dwarves claim ownership of the axes?  I've had it before where even though I brought axes along, they were never available to the woodcutters to use.

Edit*:  Or ... is the axe stored in a bin that is in-use?  Could be related to the bin bug.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:40:25 pm by oldmansutton »
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 06:05:16 pm »

Have you designated the ground level of the trees? Id check that!!
They're probably standing there discussing who gets to climb up.  :P

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 06:15:36 pm »

Have you designated the ground level of the trees? I'd check that!!
They're probably standing there discussing who gets to climb up.  :P

This is very likely. I've had that, then some joker climbed, cut it, and fell down and injured himself and the young hauler-dorf who was apparently below the tree waiting to ... I don't know, catch the wood when it fell? Little madman. Great training experience for my underworked doctors though.

Did some of your military dwarves claim ownership of the axes?

I've had no mining go on in a fort for ages, until I checked and discovered almost every military dorf was carrying a pick... swapped 'em all for silver maces, and it all went well after that. Also, don't get a military dorf to try to cut trees, I find odd things happen when they try, although that could be a result of my own meddling.

A useful thing to have is an axe-only binless weapon cache somewhere, which you can make an easy visual check for items as you pass by. You can make too many, check if it's empty, then go around working out where all the axes went, if you've plenty to go around.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Manivald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 12:54:36 am »

They are definetly carrying axes. And as I said, they go way out in the wilderness, away from any zone just to stand in place saying they are "felling trees"

And yes, only the bottoms of the trees are selected, both manually and with autochop.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 04:41:10 am »

@Thisfox: "Weapon" carrying professions have an invisible "uniform" that clashes with military "uniforms". Don't assign miners, wood cutters, or hunters to military squads unless you want trouble, as it's bugged (one of the standard problems on the fora).

I'd try to disable autochop, manually remove designation of the trees, and then manually designate the trees for chopping again to see if that gets them going. The reason for this is that I recently found that the DFHack "getplants" command can generate multiple commands to chop down the same tree if issued multiple times (as it was written when designation worked differently from how it works now). The result was that dorfs would chop down a tree, walk away, walk back and try to chop down the already felled tree, walk away... quite a few times until each of the duplicates had been "performed". I have no idea of how autochop works, so I don't know if it can generate the same kind of issue.

Manivald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 09:11:29 am »

Well, there are cherry leaves around the tile they stand on, so perhaps its true.

Disabled autochop, but they keep running back there. Maybe I need to wait more.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 10:11:40 am »

Save and reload.
Might have to redesignate the trees.

Goatmaan
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:13:41 am by Goatmaan »
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2016, 04:57:24 pm »

Have you tried picking one tree, doing a 'd' 'x' over the entire tree, then redoing the 'd' 't' with a 1 priority?
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.